D&D 5E 5e: Stat the Lady of Pain...so we can overthrow her

In your home game you could always just be rid of her altogether if it is such a big deal. Perhaps replaced by the Maiden of Mild Discomfort?

Good idea. I just nixed her entirely from the history of Sigil in my home campaign.

EDIT: Now I added her back, after hearing Yora's eloquent defense of the Lady. Yet she still has stats, and the goal is to supplant her with one or more PC overgods.

Now, we are coming to WotC's 5e home campaign in the quest to make the Lady of Pain a stattable target for players worldwide.

Last edited:

I don't know what sort of adventures your Mystara immortals had, but the higher our Known World Immortals got the less the stories were about defeating something, and more about building and exploring and understanding, and using that understanding for more building and exploring. And I'm not even talking about the building of physical things in the world. When you have a party of level 70 characters pure combat kind of becomes a bore, and you want more than that.

At Overdeity-level adventures, i would retain Combat, Exploration, and Social Challenges. We will fight the Overgods, schmooze with them, and explore their worlds, such as the Vortex in the Mystaraverse.

Poobah. Lack of mystery is what is ruining Star Wars. Everything needs to be statted out, catalogued, defined, and stated. It's turning every single thing the same lame boring mass.

jonesy, don't be scared of the Lady of Pain, Lord Ao, and the Dungeon Master. Together, we can defeat them. But only if they have stats, if they are catalogued in our monster-hunting manuals, and are defined.

She can keep gods out of Sigil, and kill them with a single thought there. She can maze anyone instantly. Her shadow flays the flesh from your bones, but she can also flay you by simply willing it. All that suggest amazing initiative and hitting power. Her motives or plans can not be pierced or discerned, so she pretty much has perfect bluff and an always active mind blank which can't be dispelled. She controls all entrances to Sigil by merely thinking it. She doesn't want anyone worshipping her, which might suggest a weakness, or just that she simply hates it.

Those are just the usual class features of the Overgod PC class. When we're a 100th-level party of Overgods, the Lady of Pain will be just another Orc with Pie.

So far the biggest things considered to have threatened her have been the attempts to take control of the portals away from her (Aoskar), completely open The Cage (Ravel), or reshape all reality (Vecna). They failed,

Whoever's in charge of the Fourth Edition Reality did a number on Sigil and the Lady. I looked at the map, and it's no longer the center of the multiverse.

which suggest the scale of things you'd have to do to have any sort of chance of success. And at that point you wouldn't just be fighting her, but also other powers who would wish to see you fail. etc.

Ah, I see you're helping me plan for the coming battle. Yes, comrade, you are worthy to join in the Quest.

And you're just assuming she's a god. The real power might come from Sigil itself and she only controls it. She might be Sigil's slave. She might be a front for a league of gods. She might be the force of the multiverse personified. She might a god level avatar of someone or something unimaginably more powerful. She might be a level one commoner who just found some amazing blade shaped artifacts. She might be the DM. She might be Pain, the way there is an antropomorphized Death.

Whether she be all or none of those things, by Crom, we will tear her house down and make her the maidservant of our younglings.

And I used to think that she should be statted out.

Don't give up jonesy.

ArmoredSaint

First Post
Yes!
Now, do I have any takers for downsizing the other overgrown godlings?
Nope.

I'm cool with the other overgods; it's only the lady of pain I have something against. I'm not sure I can put it into words. I just don't like the concept.

If they won't make her go away completely and rid the setting of her, then I'd at least like to see her taken down to the level of an average deity. I don't care for the fact that she can boss Greater Deities around.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The lady of pain isn't a character, she is just a mass of handwavium that makes the setting work.

She is kind of like gravity. Take it away and everything just falls apart.

Remove ads