6 Star Wars DVD releases coming this fall.

Arnwyn

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
Also, I wonder when Clone Wars Volume 2 will be out on DVD. I'm surprised it wasn't on the list.
Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off about that. Hell, it should have been out on DVD before Ep III hit theatres, since IMO Clone Wars Vol. 2 is pretty much required viewing to get even half the enjoyment out of Ep 3 that I did...

I'll just pick up Ep III widescreen.

Welverin

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
Since I have no real desire to own Ep. I or II, and I did get the box set for IV-VI, I'll probably getting just Ep. III. That said, I'm all for options. If you already have the original box set, you can just get the prequel box set. Or, if you only like one movie, you can just get the one. I don't really see this as double dipping. In fact, I see the Kill Bill set as double dipping more than this, since the DVDs have been out a while now.

If it's like the Ep1&2 box set and LotR EE box set (that people foolishly waited for), that are nothing but the original dvds in a special slip case, it definitely can't be considered double dipping.

Taking the timing into consideration I'd bet this is exactly what it is, and they'll wait a while before releasing a real box set with new features.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Welverin said:
If it's like the Ep1&2 box set and LotR EE box set (that people foolishly waited for), that are nothing but the original dvds in a special slip case, it definitely can't be considered double dipping.

I wonder if Lucas will allow you to order the big slipcase like they allowed for the extended edition LotR box. (Actually it was free if I remember right, besides like 1.50 for shipping.)

Welverin

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
I wonder if Lucas will allow you to order the big slipcase like they allowed for the extended edition LotR box. (Actually it was free if I remember right, besides like 1.50 for shipping.)

I hope so, I like that New Line (or WETA or whoever) did that, also makes me laugh at all the suckers who waited for it and got nothing for their long wait.

Wasn't it $3, not that it matters.

Orius

Legend
Dark Jezter said:
You know, I almost hope that comes true. It'd be fun watching all of the rabid Lucas-haters on the web have a simultanous brain hemmorage. :)

Yeah, I enjoy seeing the trauma of many simultaneously "raped childhoods" too. :]

Kai Lord

Hero
Orius said:
Yeah, I enjoy seeing the trauma of many simultaneously "raped childhoods" too. :]
It really is amusing. I was pretty upset back in the day that some of Lucas' changes hurt the films, but after seeing the extent some "fans" take their anger I just want to laugh and distance myself from all of it. I prefer the original Han scene, but the ANH:SE just blows away the original IMO. Ditto the new ROTJ:SE (and after ROTS I *love* the new Anakin ghost). ESB is about a wash, that whole shuttle docking sequence I can do without. But really its still the same movie, just tweaked here and there.

And I love it when people try to play the "purist" card. I was talking to a guy at work the other day; he was complaining about some scenes in ROTS and then went off about how Lucas has gone insane since he started doing the Special Editions. I told him I pretty much like everything Lucas has done in the past 10 years (90% of the OT revisions, parts of TPM, a lot of AOTC, and almost all of ROTS). He then said, "Oh well I'm just a purist." "If that were the case, " I said, "then you'd refuse to ever watch any print of the original Star Wars that has 'Episode IV A New Hope' in the opening scroll." "What? What do you mean?" Keep in mind the guy I'm speaking to is 24 years old and was first introduced to the trilogy on VHS. So I explained how Lucas didn't add it until the 1981 rerelease after ESB was dubbed "Episode V" and that the "revisions" have been going on since almost the beginning. He didn't have anything more to say after that. :)

Maybe George Lucas should do a skit on Saturday Night Live where he says "Are you obsessed with Han shooting first? Well.......GET A LIFE!" :cool:

mojo1701

First Post
Kai Lord said:
It really is amusing. I was pretty upset back in the day that some of Lucas' changes hurt the films, but after seeing the extent some "fans" take their anger I just want to laugh and distance myself from all of it. I prefer the original Han scene, but the ANH:SE just blows away the original IMO. Ditto the new ROTJ:SE (and after ROTS I *love* the new Anakin ghost). ESB is about a wash, that whole shuttle docking sequence I can do without. But really its still the same movie, just tweaked here and there.

And I love it when people try to play the "purist" card. I was talking to a guy at work the other day; he was complaining about some scenes in ROTS and then went off about how Lucas has gone insane since he started doing the Special Editions. I told him I pretty much like everything Lucas has done in the past 10 years (90% of the OT revisions, parts of TPM, a lot of AOTC, and almost all of ROTS). He then said, "Oh well I'm just a purist." "If that were the case, " I said, "then you'd refuse to ever watch any print of the original Star Wars that has 'Episode IV A New Hope' in the opening scroll." "What? What do you mean?" Keep in mind the guy I'm speaking to is 24 years old and was first introduced to the trilogy on VHS. So I explained how Lucas didn't add it until the 1981 rerelease after ESB was dubbed "Episode V" and that the "revisions" have been going on since almost the beginning. He didn't have anything more to say after that. :)

Maybe George Lucas should do a skit on Saturday Night Live where he says "Are you obsessed with Han shooting first? Well.......GET A LIFE!" :cool:

Well said. I applaud you, sir.

Orius

Legend
Kai Lord said:

I know what you mean. There's really only two things about the SE I don't like: Greedo shooting first and Vader's goofy shuttle line near the end of Empire. Otherwise, I don't mind. Besides theyare his films and he wants to screw around with them, that's his right.

Star Wars SE has some good effects changes anyway. The establishing shot of Obi-Wan's house is a good example. Jabba the Hutt wasn't a bad addition either, the weakest part was that the Jabba graphics were too fluid and had an ugly muddy gray color (I believe it was revamped in the DVD release). The chase scene on the Death Star where Han runs into about 50 stormtroopers, and then quickly runs away, instead of about 6 stormtroopers in the original is also another good change. And he put the scene with Luke meeting Biggs back in.

Empire SE had the weakest changes. I liked the open air look of Bespin, but I could live without seeing more of the wampa and the shuttle docking sequence.

I actually prefer the SE version of Jedi. The musical sequence in Jabba's palace looks better without the trio of stiff muppets (plus we get to see more of Oola!). I liked the bantha herd in the desert. And the ending showing the whole galaxy celebrating the death of the Emperor was a good touch too.

And I love it when people try to play the "purist" card. [snip] He then said, "Oh well I'm just a purist." "If that were the case, " I said, "then you'd refuse to ever watch any print of the original Star Wars that has 'Episode IV A New Hope' in the opening scroll." "What? What do you mean?" Keep in mind the guy I'm speaking to is 24 years old and was first introduced to the trilogy on VHS. So I explained how Lucas didn't add it until the 1981 rerelease after ESB was dubbed "Episode V" and that the "revisions" have been going on since almost the beginning. He didn't have anything more to say after that. :)

Heh heh.

Jabba the Hutt wasn't a bad addition either, the weakest part was that the Jabba graphics were too fluid and had an ugly muddy gray color (I believe it was revamped in the DVD release).

I don't know, I really hate that scene, to the point where sometimes I skip it when I watch the DVD. I was pretty amazed when I first heard they were placing that scene in the SE, and was impressed when I heard about all the CGI that went into making it. But storywise, I found it to be a really dumb scene once I saw it.

In the scene before you have Greedo saying how Jabba's been looking for him and how righteously pissed at him Jabba is for dumping his freight - foreshadowing two movies ahead that Jabba is a scary badass. When we finally get to see him in the flesh in ROTJ he's as scary as we thought, tossing employees to the Rancor and enslaving Leia.

But in the SE, you have the same scene play out with Greedo (subtly altered, heh heh), and then all of a sudden Jabba finds him. Gee, what does Jabba need bounty hunters for when he can just hang out by the Falcon and wait for Han to show up?

But that's not even the lamest part - then you have the incredibly dumb "tail-stepping" scene. Now, I understand why they had to do it that way (because of how Han moved around the stand-in actor), but come on. Would the scary badass Jabba of ROTJ let some arrogant smuggler that he's already mad at step on him? In front of witnesses, no less? Did we really need a scene with Jabba that's played for laughs? Did it add anything at all to the plot?

If you've got a scene that ruins the suspense of a character that you're setting up for film three, plus he's played totally out of character, PLUS it doesn't add anything to the story, then there's a place for that scene: it's called the cutting room floor.

It just struck me as the triumph of special effects over story. For the record, I didn't really have a problem with much else in the SE (Greedo shooting first excepted). But it signaled a trend that I found manifested even moreso in the prequels, this whole idea of "let's do it just because we can".

Lucas needs to print this out and have it stapled to his forehead, so he can see it 24/7:

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING DOESN'T NECESSARILY MAKE IT A GOOD IDEA.

Remove ads