6 Star Wars DVD releases coming this fall.

Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Lucas needs to print this out and have it stapled to his forehead, so he can see it 24/7:

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING DOESN'T NECESSARILY MAKE IT A GOOD IDEA.

And he COULD have completely redone the lightsaber duels in the original trilogy like many people cry for, but he doesn't. In fact, there are a thousand things he could have changed that he didn't.

Lucas knows this, but again, these are HIS movies, and he feels certain things should be in there. We can disagree all we want, but that doesn't change the fact that he has, and deserves, the final say.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
But that's not even the lamest part - then you have the incredibly dumb "tail-stepping" scene. Now, I understand why they had to do it that way (because of how Han moved around the stand-in actor), but come on. Would the scary badass Jabba of ROTJ let some arrogant smuggler that he's already mad at step on him? In front of witnesses, no less? Did we really need a scene with Jabba that's played for laughs? Did it add anything at all to the plot?

The scene has never worked for me... I dislike it more than the Greedo stuff in all honesty, especially the part where it looks like Han pointed his finger right into Jabba. Personally I always thought it should have been a holographic projection, and this was firmly engraved into my brain after seeing Sidious’ moving projector in the Clone Wars series.

Arnwyn

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Lucas knows this, but again, these are HIS movies, and he feels certain things should be in there. We can disagree all we want, but that doesn't change the fact that he has, and deserves, the final say.
And THAT doesn't change the fact that:
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING DOESN'T NECESSARILY MAKE IT A GOOD IDEA.

arnwyn said:
And THAT doesn't change the fact that:

But he doesn't change things "just because he can". With every single change, Lucas has given a reason. They were never handwaves of "Why don't we do this?". Even the much maligned Greedo and Han scene has an explanation.

You don't have to agree with the reasons, but Lucas doesn't do anything "Just because he can".

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
But he doesn't change things "just because he can". With every single change, Lucas has given a reason. They were never handwaves of "Why don't we do this?". Even the much maligned Greedo and Han scene has an explanation.

You don't have to agree with the reasons, but Lucas doesn't do anything "Just because he can".
He can offer up all the rationales he wants - that doesn't make them good ideas. And half of his reasons smack of trying to legitimize his screw-ups after the fact.

I understand why he felt it was necessary (to him, anyway) to make Greedo shoot first, but why oh why did he add that Jabba scene? Has he ever given any explanation beyond "it was something I wanted to do in 1977"?

Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Has he ever given any explanation beyond "it was something I wanted to do in 1977"?

Why should he? Its a valid reason. The simple truth is that he COULDN'T get everything he wanted into the movie due to the technology limitations then. That wasn't a "just because I can" thing, that was a "I've wanted this to be in there since the beginning, but was never able to until now".

What's so horrible about that?

that was a "I've wanted this to be in there since the beginning, but was never able to until now"

But why did he want it in there? What is so special about that scene? Of all the scenes you could rescue from the cutting-room floor (such as Luke and Biggs on Tatooine), why rescue that useless, lame-o scene for any reason other than "ILM can make a digital Jabba now"?

If he wants to add harmless mumbo-jumbo like splashy musical numbers in Jabba's palace, fine, doesn't ruin my enjoyment. But a useless scene that makes characters in a serious conflict (serious enough for Han to kill over, anyway) look silly is a travesty.

Because it lends credence to Lucas-bashers who claim he's lost the ability to tell a story. For the record, I'm not bothered by 90% of the stuff haters complain about the prequels, but something like that Jabba scene made me think they might be onto something. Dropping a scene like that from your final cut is Filmmaking 101. Hell, dropping a scene like that from your final script draft before you even start up the cameras is Screenwriting 101.

I've always respected your reasoned opinions on Lucas A-MG, but you're taking the wrong bullet for him here. Adding in cinematic pointlessness when you're an 800 lb. gorilla like Lucas with no one to say no to you is a "just because I can" thing. He can come up with all the bogus rationales he wants, but that dog won't hunt. I'm not saying he's an idiot, I'm just saying he made a blunder.

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Why should he? Its a valid reason. The simple truth is that he COULDN'T get everything he wanted into the movie due to the technology limitations then. That wasn't a "just because I can" thing, that was a "I've wanted this to be in there since the beginning, but was never able to until now".

If he wanted Greedo to shoot first, he could have done that in the 70's. If he wanted Luke to scream when he falls down the shaft in Cloud City, he could have done that too (amusingly, he undid that in the 2004 DVD release, so he always wanted that but not now). If he wanted a closing shot of the worlds of the Galaxy, including Coruscant and Naboo, he could have done that in the 70's.

Little changes to add things that weren't possible in the 70's and just enhance what was already there don't bother me that much, what bothers me is making changes that actually change the character of events (Han Solo going from being a quick gunslinger who was willing to blow away a bounty hunter in a preemptive strike, to only surviving because Greedo can't hit a stationary target less than a meter away) are what irritates people.

Just because George Lucas has the legal right to change his movies, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's just like the controversy over colorization in the 80's. George Lucas wanted to create a modern myth, and he succeeded. Unfortunately, myths belong to the culture as a whole, and when he changes the movies, he runs the chance of conflicting with those myths.

Tarrasque Wrangler said:
But why did he want it in there?

Ask Lucas. No one can answer that but him.

What is so special about that scene? Of all the scenes you could rescue from the cutting-room floor (such as Luke and Biggs on Tatooine), why rescue that useless, lame-o scene for any reason other than "ILM can make a digital Jabba now"?

If he wants to add harmless mumbo-jumbo like splashy musical numbers in Jabba's palace, fine, doesn't ruin my enjoyment. But a useless scene that makes characters in a serious conflict (serious enough for Han to kill over, anyway) look silly is a travesty.

Its not useless. It introduces Jabba, and while I do like the wait until Jedi to really see him we had before the SE, that doesn't make it useless. We also see that Jabba isn't just some murdering thug crime lord and actually LIKES Han. Ironically enough, there is a character development in Jabba through the movies as he gets annoyed with Han for not paying him off.

Those are reasons more than "ILM can make a digital Jabba now". Not only that, but he OBVIOUSLY had other reasons than that, as Lucas wanted the scene in the movie BEFORE ILM could do it. But, again, you'll have to ask him for the specifics.

Because it lends credence to Lucas-bashers who claim he's lost the ability to tell a story. For the record, I'm not bothered by 90% of the stuff haters complain about the prequels, but something like that Jabba scene made me think they might be onto something. Dropping a scene like that from your final cut is Filmmaking 101. Hell, dropping a scene like that from your final script draft before you even start up the cameras is Screenwriting 101.

Lucas has never been one to follow the mainstream ideas of what should be done. He does things HIS way because he feels that's how HIS movies should be told. Filmmaking 101 can't tell you that, neither can Screenwriting 101.

If Lucas had lost his ability to tell a story, there wouldn't be a huge fanbase that is STILL growing today. He just doesn't tell a story in the same way that everyone else does. Lucas tells his story the way he wants to tell it. Its just like writing a book in a different style. Not everyone's going to like it, but some people are. In the case of Star Wars, though there are many that yell and scream about Lucas' lack of ability to tell a story, this doesn't hold up when you really look at things and see that he tells a story just fine.

I've always respected your reasoned opinions on Lucas A-MG,

Now, now, let's keep this clean. We're not going to have any of this respect here on the internet. ;)

He can come up with all the bogus rationales he wants, but that dog won't hunt.

In other words, you've already made up your mind and no matter what Lucas says, you won't believe him. Why even comment on it then?

wingandsword said:
If he wanted Greedo to shoot first, he could have done that in the 70's. If he wanted Luke to scream when he falls down the shaft in Cloud City, he could have done that too (amusingly, he undid that in the 2004 DVD release, so he always wanted that but not now). If he wanted a closing shot of the worlds of the Galaxy, including Coruscant and Naboo, he could have done that in the 70's

Those changes are different from the Jabba scene, though, which was what I was referring to. For the Jabba scene, Lucas has ALWAYS said its what he wanted to originally put in. For the others, they can be chalked up to other reasons.

Greedo shooting first changed because Lucas looked back on things and felt that it made Han look like a cold blooded killer. I don't really agree on this one, but he's not just doing it for a random "I can, so I will" reason.

I can actually understand putting in Luke's scream, as the scene is almost empty and silent otherwise. Of course, it was a horrible scream effect and Lucas proved he's not above changing things a second time. Obviously, he thought it was bad, too.

Coruscant was put into the Special Edition release to give us a nice little teaser before Episode I, and Naboo is on the DVDs as a nice connection to the Prequels. Honestly, both of them work just fine.

But, again, the ONLY thing Lucas continually stated he wanted to do from the beginning but couldn't was the Jabba scene.

Just because George Lucas has the legal right to change his movies, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Who gets to judge what is 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to his movies? I'm sorry, but these ARE his and I can completely understand the need to fix things and touch them up. I constantly go back to older pieces of art I've worked on and change or alter them because I either wasn't able to get something just the way I wanted it or I just don't think its working anymore.

YES, he has created a myth that modern culture has embraced, but they are still HIS movies and HIS work. I CAN understand that people don't agree with some of the things he's done, but you saying what he's doing isn't right is worthless. Lucas' opinion is really the one that counts, not any of ours, and I think that IS the way things should be.

Last edited:

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Who gets to judge what is 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to his movies? I'm sorry, but these ARE his and I can completely understand the need to fix things and touch them up. I constantly go back to older pieces of art I've worked on and change or alter them because I either wasn't able to get something just the way I wanted it or I just don't think its working anymore.
They are not exclusively his. They might be by legal right, but the law (copyright law included) has absolutely nothing to do with "right" and "wrong'", they have to do with what elected officials have decided are rules for running society. A law (including copyright) can be "wrong", an action that is perfectly legal, even one supported by a law passed by an elected democratic government, can be a very bad thing (watch Episode I for a reminder of that).

YES, he has created a myth that modern culture has embraced, but they are still HIS movies and HIS work. I CAN understand that people don't agree with some of the things he's done, but you saying what he's doing isn't right is worthless. Lucas' opinion is really the one that counts, not any of ours, and I think that IS the way things should be.
Star Wars is a part of the popular culture, collective consciousness, and like he originally wanted, it is a modern legend. That gives the people of that culture, as a collective entity, the right to pass judgement on attempts to change that legend, as I see it. Not in a legal, binding sense certainly, but in a "history will be the judge" sense.

I think we just have radically different opinions here. He may have a certain legal right to change things, but to be honest, that just means he can, not that he should. His opinion only means that he can legally do it, that's it.

Remove ads