• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 6e, how would you sort the classes/sub-classs?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've always found the 4e way of having ''power source'' but dont really care for the the ''roles''. For 6e, I'd go with the main 4, and add a subclass or archtype for every ''power source''. Also, ''power source'' doest necessarily means some kind of magic power but more of a theme or flavor, like the ones in Numenera that you can add to your main class to create the concept you want. I'd also do something for the ones who wants to multiclass within the same ''power source'' like removing multiclass pre-requesite.
Ex:
Fighter
Martial: Warrior
Arcane: Eldritch Knight
Divine: Crusader
Psionic: Battlemind (mix between egoist psion and monk)
Draconic: Dragon Knight (Dragoon?) or Dragonslayer
Primal: Wrathbearer (barbarian without the cultural bagage)
Shadow: Assassin

Strider (aka rogue, thief, vagabond, expert)
Martial: Swashbuckler
Arcane: Bard
Divine: Inquisitor (witch hunter? avenger?)
Psionic: Soul knive
Draconic: Hoard Raider
Primal: Ranger
Shadow: Shadow dancer

Mage
Martial: Battlemage
Arcane: Wizard
Divine: Theurge
Pisonic: Mindmage, Psion, Psychic etc
Draconic: Dragon sorcerer
Primal: Druid (green seer? Fey Beguiler?)
Shadow: Illusionist

Mystic (cleric, priest)
Martial: Warpriest (warlord-like)
Arcane: Warlock
Divine: Favored Soul
Psion: Oracle
Draconic: Dragon priest
Primal: Shaman
Shadow: Dread necromancer
This might be on to something. Certainly an interesting approach.

Were it me I'd find a way to put Necromancer into Mage rather than Mystic; and switch Druid - which has always been a Cleric type - and Shaman....or just rename Shaman as Druid and find a different name for the primal class under Mage.

What I don't see anywhere is Monk. Intentional?

Lanefan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I might be up for power sources like 4e, but you pick a primary and a secondary. If the power sources were: aberration, celestial, elemental, fey, fiend, natural (muscle, mind), primal (nature), and you wanted to make a paladin, it would be natural (muscle) primary/ celestial secondary (or vice versa), and maybe something for anyone who wants to double down on a power source. It seems like it would help with the caster/martial disparity, since you would be limited to two power sources and each is good at only certain things. It could also reduce the need for concentration if certain effects (like summoning) from two different power sources had bad interaction effects....

Of course with D&D's long history of "half-"'s, I figure most of the human(oid) population has a little bit of something else in them, so a "human" fighter might pick natural (muscle) and have a little elemental (but not enough to be a genasai) blood.

Edit: Forgot undead/shadow. Probably worth it to split fiend into devil, demon, and other. Hope at some point there are enough different kinds of celestials to do the same. Maybe throw in psychological and psychic as power sources.

Ohh, I like this a lot.

One thing I might suggest is to expand out "natural" to be 3-4 options. Because one party in five might have an aberration or a shadow, but likely every one will have a "natural", if not more than one. Expanding it out helps deal with the "magic gets all the cool toys" phenomenon. Plus you can have things like a Fighter [Mind] who uses strategy, tactics and out-anticipating foes to be effective in a different way than a Fighter [Muscle].

Sacrosanct

Legend
Were it me I'd find a way to put Necromancer into Mage rather than Mystic; and switch Druid - which has always been a Cleric type - and Shaman....or just rename Shaman as Druid and find a different name for the primal class under Mage.

Lanefan

Honestly, and you probably already knew this by reading posts, I wouldn't put those occupational overlays under a class. I'd leave them standalone, for the most part. That way, you could have a fighter ninja. Or a rogue ninja. Or even a magic user ninja. Or a fighter bard. Or a magic user bard. Etc, etc. I think that way it opens up a lot more options and covers many more archetypes.

YMMV of course.

To answer the topic of the thread, I would divide the classes and subclasses as follows:

FIGHTER
-Paladin
-Blackguard
-Battlemaster

ROGUE
-Assassin
-Ranger
-Treasure Hunter

WIZARD
-Air
-Earth
-Fire
-Water

CLERIC
-Light
-Dark
-Nature

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Whatever happened to Fighters, Magic-Users, Clerics and Thieves? :)

They're all growed up. :)

I like this, though I suspect I'll be in the minority.

I suspect I'm in the minority, as well. haha. But figured I'd throw it out there anyway. ;)

As for your actual list:
So, Crusader is a War Cleric (though the name makes me think it's a reskinned Paladin), a Healer is a Life Cleric, but what is an Avenger? Something of a Cleric-Thief cross?

For the Crusader, yes basically. What else is the "War Cleric" but a reskinned Paladin/Paladin-lite? And you got the Avenger right, or what I'm envisioning anyway, a Cleric-Thief mix for the Assassin's Creed folks..."I'm a thief/acrobat/assassin/bravo sanctioned by and//or working for the[a] church."

My worry here is that Hero and Swashbuckler (listed below) would tread on each other's toes.

I see why that might be/you might think that. I suppose my defense or attempted justifications would be:
1) Hero is Str. + Con+ Cha and Swbkr is Str + Dex + Cha, so they should -I am imagining- play/feel somewhat differently.
2) There are only so many variations of archetype you can throw in between any two classes. The options...or "spectrum," I suppose...become (in this case): Full Warrior (Fighter) --> Warrior with a little Rogue in the mix (Hero) --> [edit: Warrior/Rogue more-or-less even split which, for me, is the Ranger /edit] --> Rogue with a little Warrior in the mix (Swashbuckler) --> Full on Rogue (Thief).
and 3) somewhat obviously, the actual class features would be different so I would think there shouldn't be toooooo much toe stomping.

Necromancer should be more focused on hurting than healing. (I've never agreed with the classification of healing spells as necromantic).
Oh no. I don't either. I was just trying to be conservative and somewhat symmetrical in my wording. The necromancer's "healing" is of course, necromantic in nature in that they pull life OUT of somewhere to put some INTO whoever (usually themselves) is getting healed.

And is your Witch (Shaman?) kind of a Necro-Illusionist cross?
Not really no. Again, this was more trying to be consistant in my wording to get through things in a relatively short (or at least simply readable) descriptions. Witches, as I envision them, would be more of a combination of Illusionist and Druid, but some Necro-stuff in there, sure. Speaking with Dead? Summoning and Banishing spirits? Totally in a Witch's wheelhouse.

Amusingly, "flippy flip" is the term we always use for what Monks do. :)
haha. Accurate.

I really like the Investigator idea. Good one!
Thanks!

Still wondering if Swashbuckler and Hero are too close to being the same thing.
See above.

These look good, though how would you differentiate Jester from a normal Bard being played chaotically?
Well, my default Bard would probably have light and medium armors, the basic "Rogues" list of weapons, their harp/instrument, inspiration dice (I would think. I would keep them), and spells.

A Jester, as I said, would get less spells, I would probably restrict them to light armors only, some tumbling movement and/or "unarmored defense" type AC bonus, maybe some juggling/thrown weapon attack? But their "defining" feature (insofar as I've bothered to think this out off the top of my head)...what did I call them?..."Jokes & Rhymes" or whatever. No inspiration dice. Not necessarily and instrument/musical magic features. They'd basically like a walking, jumping, somersaulting, juggling Cutting Words. :)

Ah, here's where the "Shaman" name ended up.
You didn't think I'd leave the poor Shaman out in the cold, did you?

What about a Druid type who doesn't summon at all, instead focusing on spells (particularly healing), herbcraft (along with Ranger), and shapeshifting?
Well, that sounds mostly to me like what the default Druid would be. If they want to do a little summoning, there'll be access to spells for that. I don't believe "shapeshifting should be the focus of ANY druid class, myself. But for someone who wants to make it that, that was basically behind the idea of the Beast Druid...they would be getting more shapeshifting than the normal or Land Druid...and no one says they would HAVE to summon other animals.

While I love the Knight as a class I'm not sure there's enough in it to justify 4 classes. One of the Questing Knight or Cavalier could easily become the default Knight, and Paladin could either move up to Cleric, replacing Crusader; or move up to Fighter replacing Hero which gets subsumed into Swashbuckler.

That's specifically why I DIDN'T put it under the cleric or fighter list. I wanted them to be more difficult to be. I also think the inherent "knight-ly" flavor of the Paladin is different enough, especially taken with the Cavalier and what other Knight (Questing Knight was kind of a place holder and I honestly have no idea how I would differentiate the Default Knight, another Knight, and a Cavalier....Paladin's easy cuz you're adding magic.

But it is one of my "always been missing from D&D" fantasy archetypes and helped/helps to balance the "second tier of classes" to balance out Magical/caster vs. Non class options: Barbarians, Knights, Rangers vs. Bards, Druids, Warlocks.

To keep them less magic-based, suggest replacing magical trances and auras in the Warden with better tracking and herbcraft.

Well, I want a magical ranger option. I don't love -but don't particularly mind- the idea of magic-wielding Rangers. They always have, after all. I just don't like/want/condone a base-Ranger that is dependent on spell use.

Meh - Warlocks add nothing for me.
Me neither, but they are head & shoulders more interesting and unique flavor/fluff-wise than Sorcerers and I needed to incorporate them someplace. Since the Sorcerer matched up with the whole "class with Point system" group, that puts Warlocks here.

These are all good, though I'd love to see Wild Magus be listed under a base class rather than tertiary.
Sorry. No can do, mi amigo. ;)

Mages are the Base Wizard class, Warlocks are the Advanced Wizard class, Sorcerers are the "optional/Appendixed Power Point System" Wizard class. Just the way o' the world...of steeldragons.

Last edited:

The four-class design sounds good, except it handwaves the issue of the subclasses we have now, and that would still be needed.

For example, expanding the sorcerer sub-tree:

Fighter
Rogue
Caster
- Wizard
- Sorcerer
-- Draconic Sorcerer
-- Shadow Sorcerer
-- Storm Sorcerer
-- Wild Mage
-- Divine Soul
- Mystic
- Warlock
Channeler

And now you have a class, a subclass, and a sub-subclass, where the top-level class is pretty much just an organizational tool. It's neat and tidy, but it doesn't really add anything for the casual player. A player would still be a 'sorcerer', not a 'caster', even if he recognizes he's playing one of the casting classes.

It also fails for hybrid classes, like paladin (fighter/cleric) or ranger (fighter/rogue/caster). Categorizing things is hard, and if a (sub) class falls across the boundaries, it just makes things more confusing.

Maybe you can organize the book better so that related classes are kept together, but I don't know that that's any better than just alphabetical (though certainly better than the randomness of the races).

I would want to make sure that each major category is well-represented with classes. Maybe add a fifth category (Crafter) for Artificer/Alchemist/Engineer type classes. But I don't think there's much to be gained by changing away from the current class/subclass system, unless you're eliminating the subclasses at the same time. And if you do that, you're gonna end up with dozens of "subclasses" for the now more succinct top-level classes, which doesn't seem a useful path to take.

The four-class design sounds good, except it handwaves the issue of the subclasses we have now, and that would still be needed.
Would it, though? If Paladin is a subclass of Fighter (for example), then it doesn't necessarily follow that you need Avenger and Warden as sub-sub-classes; you could just not have that degree of mechanical distinction between such closely-related concepts.

Would it, though? If Paladin is a subclass of Fighter (for example), then it doesn't necessarily follow that you need Avenger and Warden as sub-sub-classes; you could just not have that degree of mechanical distinction between such closely-related concepts.

If you look at the thread about what new classes people want added to the game, you'll know that not having them is just not feasible if you want a system that people will actually use. You need to be able to distinguish the mechanical variations between those designs, which means, regardless of what you call them, you must have those sub-subclasses presented as part of the rules.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
This might be on to something. Certainly an interesting approach.

What I don't see anywhere is Monk. Intentional?

Lanefan

Obviously we're just throwing some ideas, so the exact name or nature of the archetype needs to be defined, in the end I guess the Primal-Cleric could be the druid while giving the Primal-Mage the Witch niche. As for the Monk, I've always noticed that they share a similar theme with the battlemind: a fighter that channel psi (ki) energy inside of him to enhance his fighting skills. The Battlemind could use weapons or psi-augmented fists, use is psionic clarity power to give him prescience-like evasion skills without armor and dilate time to strike multiple times in quick burst. I think this remove the weird 80' kung-fu vibe of the Monk class while giving the Fighter a much-desired no-weapon, no-armor path.

If you look at the thread about what new classes people want added to the game, you'll know that not having them is just not feasible if you want a system that people will actually use. You need to be able to distinguish the mechanical variations between those designs, which means, regardless of what you call them, you must have those sub-subclasses presented as part of the rules.
I strongly disagree. Whatever 6E does in terms of classes and sub-classes, people will play it until such time that they determine it's not much very fun, based on its own merits. While 4E certainly suffered some criticism for not including monks or druids in the main book, and for any number of other class concepts which could not be represented mechanically, none of those were responsible for driving away players. That was all on the mechanics.

The only thing that excessive class differentiation provides is bloat, which is ultimately what killed both 3E and 4E.

Remove ads