• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Game of Thrones (RR MARTIN) - The RPG: Tell me About it, please

Dark Seraph

First Post
I would like to hear from any one who has played or run games in this setting, in particular, their impressions of the setting, its mechanics, its feel, depth, detail, appeal or the lack of it, the degree of influence of magic, etc.

Thank you.

DS.

Skyman

First Post
Well, I don't know if you've read the Song of Ice and Fire novels it's based on, but in my mind they're the best thing to come out of the fantasy genre since The Lord of the Rings, no exaggerating. Now, it's not for everyone. Westeros is dark, gritty, and unpredictable. It's a sexist, prejudiced, and strongly class-divided society. There are very few pure, virtuous heroes, and a lot of those die - there are many good characters, but they all have flaws, and as the story goes on you see redeeming qualities even in the villains. There aren't tons of monsters to slay. Most conflict will be between humans. It's also one of the most detailed settings I've ever read, with huge amounts of backstory (primarily centered in the last fifteen years but also stretching back hundreds and even thousands). I'd wanted to roleplay in this setting for a long time, so I welcomed the creation of the RPG.

The book has tons of detail in it - you would probably be able to run a campaign fine without reading the books (it'd be off on some details but that's ok if you haven't read them). However, it does contain quite a few spoilers for the first novel, and I'd recommend reading that first.

In any case, I didn't think d20 was well-suited for the setting, and I still don't really, but GoO did a much better job of it than I expected. There are nice gritty combat mechanics, classes that aren't necessarily focused on fighting, and a defect system so you can get something back for playing an insane, crippled, ugly noble. So, while I'd have preferred a GURPS sourcebook or something of the sort, d20 works pretty well and is probably better for certain types of campaigns (such as Night's Watchmen making excursions into the frozen North, or a pure military campaign). There are also very nice social status, reputation, and influence mechanics that lend more mechanical credence to noncombat activities and a character's station in life. I know a lot of people who have lifted these mechanics for other games.

When it comes to magic, it's very rare in the setting. Most people will either say it no longer exists (having died out with the dragons) or is the work of vile demons. There are of course supernatural elements and magic becomes more prevalent later in the series. The AGoT book is based mainly on the first novel, however, so there's only a little - a few 'Legendary Feats' with supernatural abilities and a prestige class that can learn spells. The spells are generally ritualized and strange - you won't see any wizards lobbing fireballs. Most power is in the hands of the scheming nobles and the big guys with armor and swords.

Overall I've had a lot of fun playing AGoT d20, and would recommend it if dark and socially complex fantasy appeals to you, or if you'd just like some gritty combat and dynamic noncombat rules to use.

I should note that GoO is pretty much defunct - if you're getting AGoT get a hard copy, it's probably a poor idea to order it online (though some people might be able to recommend somewhere where you can be sure of getting a copy). It's in limbo right now, as GRR Martin tries to extract his license from GoO and give it to another company, but hopefully he'll succeed and we'll get some sourcebooks (the next one they'd promised would have the very important mass combat rules - as the setting is often about big battles - and more magic).

Maester Luwin

First Post
Wow Skyman! You didn't leave me much to say. LOL! I agree with him & feel GoO (thanks Jesse!!!) did a great job fitting the World of Westeros to the D20 system. I have run an online game (in which Skyman has been apart- thanks Sky!) & a table top game & both have been great! This game covers the atmosphere of the books well. Even the players who have not read the books find the game's mechanics allow them to expierence the world without problems. Combat is grim & deadly with rules for fatique so Pc's are more prone to talking than fighting. I would highly recommend the game! Thanks Maester Luwin

Ranger REG

Explorer
Maester Luwin said:
Wow Skyman! You didn't leave me much to say. LOL! I agree with him & feel GoO (thanks Jesse!!!) did a great job fitting the World of Westeros to the D20 system.
Actually, it's more like fitting the d20 System to the world of Westeros (like fitting my pants to my wide end).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*doesn't mind the fitting one way or the other* As long as you like one aspect of something, the other comes along fine. At least in my mind. :p :)

Khairn

First Post
I've GM'ed a small group in AGoT, and agree completely with what Skyman has already said.

I was very surprised at how well GoO adjusted the D20 system so that it fit the flavor and theme's of Westeros. Now it does require a different mind-set from the GM, as the standard D&D adventuring paradigm's (battling evil wizards, dungeon crawls etc) do not fit in AGoT. But since I love to create detailed histories, geneologies and backgrounds I didn't find it to be too difficult.

If you are looking to play a beautifully gritty (ie deadly) game of medievel style political manuevering, betrayal and warfare, then AGoT is the game for you.

Dark Seraph

First Post
Thank you Sky, Dev and all. This is what I was after. Can I acquire the campaign setting as a PDF online and if so who is retailing it? Are there any other source books I should be getting along with the CS?

Thank You.

DS.

Dark Seraph

First Post
I have noted that there are rpg supplements following the release of the campaign setting, namely Winter is Coming Parts 1,2 & 3 and Clash of Kings on amazon UK, but none in stock or something to that effect. This may have something to do with what Sky mentioned about GoO being effectively defunct.

Is the game of thrones campaign setting by itself which I seem to be able to get as a pdf version from EnWorld/RPGNow adequate as a stand alone as far as providing sufficient mechanics and setting details to run a campaign or three?

Thank you.

DS.

Skyman

First Post
Yep. Get the 'Standard Edition' if you plan on using d20 - the 'Deluxe Edition' adds in Tri-stat rules and I think a sample adventure and more art, but it's quite a bit more expensive (pdf isn't any cheaper than the actual book). I have the standard edition and it's probably the biggest RPG book I have, with a large historical overview, details on the major noble houses, and character writeups for dozens of characters in the novels. Unfortunately a pdf might not have the nice foldout map that the hardback comes with, but if there isn't a map in there, there are plenty of Westeros online.

Those supplements weren't produced, hopefully they will be.

Btw, www.westeros.org has great resources including a forum (probably a bit too much until you've read the books) and an archive of information about every region and every minor and major house that's appeared.

There's also a Game of Thrones RPG board both me and Luwin are part of. It's not a super fast moving one but people are willing to help out with setting info or campaigns. It's http://z7.invisionfree.com/AGOT_RPG.

Last edited:

Remove ads