• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A house rule that made your class perfect

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Its common knowledge that most people don't play 100% vanilla dnd, unless you are playing AL. So what house rules have you or your DM implement that have made your character just the way you wanted it to be?

Mine was as the UA Mystic class, playing a Soul Knife. I felt very unsatisfied with my play style, especially in combat. All the damaging powers (like Lethal Strike) required a bonus action to buff, and an action to attack. This made me wonder, why am I even TWFing? Whats the point of having 2 weapons when I am always going to use one? Not only that, there were many times I would waste my psi points when i rolled low on my attack, and without multi-attack, my dpr was incredibly low.

So i thought of a fix, it requires having both weapons to hit, and a reaction to activate Lethal Strike. I don't think I became more powerful, but my psi points never waste, I am actually fighting with both weapons, and it makes for some cool 'How do you want to do this' moments.

Horwath

Legend
1. Off hand attacks from TWF are part of the Attack action. That goes for any class.

2. Using UA improved ranger over standard one.

3. Rogues can sneak attack with any weapon they are proficient.

4. Champion gets +1HP per champion level and second wind improved by +1 per level.

5. Sorcery points are restored on short rest.

6. Monk can use martial arts with any melee one handed weapon he is proficient.

7. Paladin and ranger get cleric and druid cantrips. 2 at 2nd level, 3 at 8th, 4 at 20th.

8. Exaustion changed to -1 to all d20 rolls and 5ft movement penalty per level. You still die at exaustion level 6.

9. lvl6 barbarians get a fighting style. Great weapon fighter or two weapon fighting.

Irda Ranger

First Post
1. Sorcerer recovers some SP on an SR.

2. Paladin gets Archery fighting style, Smites work with "your style's" attacks (for Dex build, Elf of the Ancients paladins).

3+. I wish I could say that there was "one house rule" that fixed Warlock, but I essentially had to re-write the class to be happy with it. All the pieces are there, but they're jumbled around or mis-categorized and the spells known was just too limiting.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't run many house rules, here are a few I've contemplated that I think fit what you are looking for:

If thematically appropriate, Paladins and Bards may be INT based instead of CHR based for features and casting.

Mounts (including Find Steed) become fragile quick. I'll make level-appropriate steeds available, but they won't be cheap. Poke me if interested.

Wild Sorcerer: Tides of Chaos triggers when the player wants instead of when the DM wants.

Monk abilities that take an action and seem like attacks (Fist of the Unbroken Air, Water Whip (after errata), and the like) count as the Attack action. So you can still Flurry, etc.

But the big one is:

Ask me and we'll see.

Say you have a Paladin of Artemis and want to smite on bow attacks instead of melee? I might answer "Okay, but using d6s."

GameOgre

Adventurer
Berserker Barbarians drop the exhaustion requirement* 1 Extra attack that uses a bonus action only while raging? Who thought this was too overpowered? Have they seen all the ways to gain a extra attack with a bonus action?

ccs

41st lv DM
Animal companions:
Act on the Rangers initiative
Act/attack with their full range of options
Do not use up any of the Rangers actions/bonus actions etc.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Warlocks get Ritual casting just like Wizards and Clerics
Warlocks have proficiency in Martial weapons
Warlocks can use magic items normally reserved for Clerics, Druids, or Wizards.
Anybody (including non-casters) can try to use a spell scroll, drawing from the guidelines on page 200 of the DMG. The check is made with whichever ability is appropriate given the spell on the scroll.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Berserker Barbarians drop the exhaustion requirement* 1 Extra attack that uses a bonus action only while raging? Who thought this was too overpowered? Have they seen all the ways to gain a extra attack with a bonus action?

Hey, I'm looking for a list for a character with at-will Advantage for easy hits and more crits to make a d12 weapon attack as a bonus action consistently every round after an Attack action. Oh, and comes on in Adventurer tier. Prefer it to be with a class that grants Extra Attack and multipliers to my weapon damage die on my easy crits. One more thing, it can't use up a feat.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Hey, I'm looking for a list for a character with at-will Advantage for easy hits and more crits to make a d12 weapon attack as a bonus action consistently every round after an Attack action. Oh, and comes on in Adventurer tier. Prefer it to be with a class that grants Extra Attack and multipliers to my weapon damage die on my easy crits. One more thing, it can't use up a feat.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. It's not at will,its a resource,he does get another ability that gives him advantage and anyone else trying to hit him advantage as well...D12 weapons average damage is 6, thats 2 more than a D8 weapon so ..............also again wizards cant cast spells 1st level spells all day..barbarians cant rage all day.......at level one a barbarian can rage for 2 minutes per LONG rest. Think about that ....two minutes........at higher levels its like 4 minutes per LONG rest..........4 frigging minutes man. Extra attack action being one single extra attack crit multiplier at what level again? What level? Look at what the other class's get at those levels.....geez the barbarian gains another D12 on a nat 20....yeah overpowering.

I'm not saying the barb is in a bad place. He is strong out of the gate and weakens over time to average. His tanking is good and his dps......is ok. But Berserker is not balanced....thats why not one single player at my table has picked it.

The key ability for the other option is take only 50% damage from EVERY SINGLE DAMAGE SOURCE IN THE GAME BUT PSYCHIC with no cost. Magical weapons 50%,fireball 50%, falling off a cliff 50%, poison 50% necrotic 50% EVERYTHING..........or 1 extra attack while raging that uses your bonus action but hurts you the more you use it AND could even kill you.

It's a no brainer.

1. Rogues can sneak attack with any light weapon, on top of finesse and ranged (thus allowing clubs, handaxes and light hammers).

2. Assassins add proficiency bonus to initiative at Lv. 3.

3. Four Element Monks' disciplines ki cost reduced by 1 and all of them are cast as bonus actions.

4. Purple Dragon Knights have their Lv. 3 and 10 features switched around (so they're enabling allies with their Action Surges at Lv. 3).

Remove ads