A Little Challenge

Jairami

First Post
Bladesingers as far as I know (at least the ones that have very few wizard levels or spells) do not need high intelligence as they have no offensive spells, DC does not matter. You might want to pull some points over to strength instead. <shrugs>

mikebr99

Explorer
The 1st level Bladesong ability gives Int bonus as a dodge bonus to AC...

Plus I wanted the most bonus spells I could get... as the Bladesinger can cast any of his spells as a free action every round.

jontherev

First Post
Jairami said:
Bladesingers as far as I know (at least the ones that have very few wizard levels or spells) do not need high intelligence as they have no offensive spells, DC does not matter. You might want to pull some points over to strength instead. <shrugs>

I think they get to add INT bonus to their AC.

Jairami

First Post
Ah. Good points. The DC's listed by spells that don't have saves threw me.

That makes much more sense. Though for a fighter type, especially one with access to spells, his AC is awefully low for 20th level. You might want to give an example of his AC by the second round to make it more appealing.

Drat. Minute too slow. :)

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
I'm going to assume intelligent items are out as well. Since you cannot make them be the way you want - they are random by nature.

Is that right?

Anyway, I'm working on a monk (my personal fav.)

A few highlights so far:

AC 42 (vs. touch attacks, too, I think)

Reflex +30
Fortitude +25
Willpower +30

I'm still working on the saves - trying to get them higher. The major weakness will be area effect spells - with several rods of absortion, no targeted spell will get to him.

With the rods plus True Seeing, Fly and Haste from items, he should be able to suck up any magic attacks and counter quite well.

His major weakness is Antimagic Shell - but, of course, if he was inside one with a mage it would be curtains for the mage anyway.

I think it's viable. The idea is to be able to survive just about anything to avoid the whoever wins iniative, wins the game scenario.

Are custom items allowed?

mikebr99

Explorer
I think all of the spells I chose had minutes for duration, except the ones that have multiples. So Iwould really like to know how many rounds ahead of getting dumped into the gladitorial pit I'd have to buff...

I also didn't look at any of the misc. magic, but the headband if intellect, amulet of natural armour, etc. would be very helpful.

Once the bladesinger gets into melee with someone, he'll also be attacking 5 times per round (at -2 for each attack) plus casting one of his spells as a free action, not to mention being hasted.

hong

WotC's bitch
Your best strategy in a multiple-combatant smackdown is to create a character that is OBVIOUSLY several rungs further down on the power ladder than everyone else. When the battle starts, go hide in a corner while the others duke it out. Then when there's only one guy left standing, finish him off (with any luck, he'll be near death). Et voila, you win by letting the others do your work for you.

Artoomis

First Post
Yes, prep time will make all the difference.

I wonder how all the wishes from the rings of wishes will be adjudicated?

'o Skoteinos

First Post
right, this tactic depends heavily on interpretation, but could be quite powerful.

Human Nec 5 / Red 10 / Acm 5.

Dropped: Evocation, Conjuration (needed schools: Divination, Necromancy, Transmutation)

Feats:

Tattoo Focus
Quicken Spell
Craft Wonderous Item
Craft Arms & Armor
Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Spell Focus (Something Else)
Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
Leadership
Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy)

Equipment:

Crafted:
Headband of Intellect +6
+3 Mage Robe of Haste
+5 Mithril Buckler Proof against Transmutation
+1 Boot of Spellsword (x9) (Undeath to Death, Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, Dominate Person, Dominate Monster, Charm Person, Charm Monster Hold Person, Hold Monster)
+1 Boot of Spellsword (x9) (Enervation, Energy Drain, Heal, Cure Light, Moderate, Serious, Critical Wounds, 2 other nasty spells)
Phylactery
8 +4 Keen Vorpal Scimitars.

Bought:
Greater Rod of Persistant Spell.
some 1000 GP diamonds.
Darkskull

Cohort:
Human Wizard 19 (with Multiattack and Multiweapon Fighting quickdraw, improved critical (scimitar))

Tactic:

Start by casting a Persistant Duplicate and let your Cohort cast Persistant Duplicate. Then, use the Circle Leader feat to give you +180 (or so) spell levels from your Cohort. This cohort can't cast anymore spells, but that doesn't matter. First boost your Effective Level to 40 and your Caster level to 40. You have 140 levels left.

Cast Gestalt on you, both Duplicates and the cohort. You are now 1 creature with 8 arms (hence the 8 scimitars, and because of the Druids feats, you can use them all without penalty).
Cast Persistant Tenser's Transformation (BAB as 40th level fighter, or at least, as 20th level).
Cast Mind Blank
Cast detect magic (to detect antimagic fields).
Take two doses of Paneolo (raise DC by 3, take 2d6+2 Cha damage, but you're Undead, so forget that damage :D)

You now have two options:

1) Cast Two Minds, then cast Time Stop, then, start wasting your enemies with "Empowered, Empowered, Empowered, Empowered, Empowered, Empowered, Horrid Wiltings" (you can cast a lot of these due to Circle Magic. The DC is insane (high forties)).

2) Kill things with your scimitars (BAB = +16 / +16 / +16 / +16 / +16 / +16 / +16 / +16 / +11 / +6 / +1). Of course, you're Improved Invisible, so that's another +2 and no dex bonus for the opponennt and we haven't even counted Str mod...

Of course, you have some Mordenkainen's Disjunctions, so you can destroy Anti-Magic Fields (40% chance!). Also, "nonesuch Spell: Antimagic" field may help against that troublesome spell.

That's pretty much unbeatable...

To check this, you need:

PHB, DMG, FRCS, MoF, BoEM2, LoD, T&B, MotW, R&R, DotF.

Last edited:

Jairami

First Post
......................Wow.

Mind cleaning that up (a few errors are expected in any first post that goes this far into unexplored territory, just correct them with edits), explaining some of the less known spells in there and posting it in the Sultans of Smack thread so we can keep that particular piece of creativity around?

Last edited:

Remove ads