• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Merc's Life: Howl of the Carrion King [03]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
You are on top of a ledge that runs the length of the room. It's elevated about 3' above the main floor. There's one on each side of the room, and the steps in the center of each ledge lead up to it.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
ooc: yup saw the steps! give me a moment here. Wasted my bonded item spell recall funtion on the cleanup!

Scott DeWar

tell me if i can do this!

[sblock=convaluted plan]
this will take two round to accomplish
round 1
mage hand takes cross bow bolt and carries it to center of man floor and drops it there
round 2
launch bolt on bolt to launch from that location
round 3
mage hand to grab arrows and fling them all around the room (one quiver weighs 3 lbs, mage had good for 5 lbs)

Will that work?
[/sblock]

if the above does not work, harnrey will cast caltrops on the 2 areas in front of the ax weilders (this round) move to top of steps leading to catwalk and then next round cast bulls strength and wait for them with ax in hand.

Remember He wears armor to look like a warrior type and not a squishy wizard!

Addm: have errends to run. wont be back till after work tonight about 1030ish

Scotley

Hero
Keeland continues his song of encouragement (free action) and fires Tempest at the Gnoll archer on the left twice. He tries to use what cover the stairs afford should the Gnoll return fire.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=Convoluted Plan]
this will take two round to accomplish
round 1
mage hand takes cross bow bolt and carries it to center of man floor and drops it there
round 2
launch bolt on bolt to launch from that location
round 3
mage hand to grab arrows and fling them all around the room (one quiver weighs 3 lbs, mage had good for 5 lbs)

Will that work?
[/sblock]

[sblock=SD]Creative, but considerably beyond the scope of a zero level spell, I'm afraid, for a couple of reasons:

1) You still can't see around the corner, and the Mage Hand surely can't (else it would be a VERY cheap Clairvoyance spell as well).
2) I can't find anything allowing one to use Mage Hand to cast spells, and Lauch Bolt is a touch range spell.

In regards to the tossing of the arrows, that could be done but not with anything near the force or accuracy needed to injure.

I'll go with his Caltrops spell and bold stance in order to move things along unless I hear back from you before I get to it.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Harnry steps along the ledge toward the back of the room, calling another set of caltrops as he moves. He reaches the top of the stairs and stops, looking menacingly tough as he stands there.

The Gnolls in the front line are content to hunker down behind shields (Total Defense). The one on the right drops the ruins of his battle axe and pulls out a spear.

GM: Aodhán and Houwlou are up!

[sblock=Combat Status]
Code:
[u]Combatant          AC/ T/FF   -HP         Condition[/u]
Harnry             14/12/12    00         None
Gnoll 01           19/12/15    00         None
Gnoll 02           19/12/15    00         None, AC 23 vs. Tsadok
Aodhán             20/12/18    00         None
Houwlou            17/11/16    00         None
Gnoll 03           19/16/19    00         Flat-Footed, Cover
Tsadok             17/15/13    00         None
Gnoll 04           19/16/19    00         Flat-Footed, Cover
Keeland            16/13/13    00         None
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Ruined Mill.jpg
    Ruined Mill.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
Tsadok

Not wanting to enter combat and put himself at a disadvantage because of the cantrips, Tsadok will speak in his best Gnoll accent (he speaks Gnoll) and attempt to draw them in.

"Guard!!!! Help!!! Help!!!!! They took me prisoner when we were feeding the Peryton, I'm bound here...in the corner."

Tsadok attempts to stay hidden in the shadows and will in fact move one square further away to F-8 and sit on the floor with his arms behind him, sap in hand

Damn...those die rolls definitely caught up with me.

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   HP: 34/34     AC: 15   AC(T): 13   AC(FF): 12
 Init: +03    ST(F):+03   ST(R):+07    ST(W):+04
  Per:  08                       HERO Points: 03

BAB: 03       CMB:+07     CMD: 20

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Sap (MW)                +6        1d6+4          20/x2     Non-Lethal
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger4

From his present position, Houwlou flings a javelin at the Gnoll in the front rank on his right. Houwlou's not much of a missileer, is he?

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger
   Level: Ranger 4
   HP: 34/44     AC: 17  AC(T): 11   AC(FF): 16
 Init: +01    ST(F):+05  ST(R):+04    ST(W):+05
  Per: 15 (+2 Undead or Desert) HERO Points: 03

BAB: 04       CMB: +7     CMD: 18

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Longsword (MW)          +9        1d8+3       19-20/x2     +1 TH Gnolls
Dagger +1 (T)           +8 (+6)   1d4+2       19-20/x2     +3 TH/Damage
Longsword (MW)          +7        1d8+3       19-20/x2        (Undead)
  & Dagger +1           +6        1d4+2       19-20/x2     
Longsword (MW)          +5        1d8+3       19-20/x2     
  & Longsword           +4        1d8+1       19-20/x2     
Javelin   (M)           +5 (+3)   1d6+3          20/x2     Range 30'

Selected Skills (not all are shown)
Acrobatics -5; Appraise +4; Bluff +5; Climb +2; Diplomacy +3; 
Intimidate +3; Knowledge (nature) +9; Handle Animal +10; Heal +10;  
Perception +15; Profession (Guide) +10; Ride +3; Sense Motive +7; 
Spellcraft +10; Stealth +2; Survival +10; Swim -9

Spells Prepared:
Resist Energy
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

ooc: +5 ? that is pretty good, just a bad luck roll.

Mowgly, so what you are saying is that with Harnrey on the catwalk, the long bow gnolls are out of sight? I was thinking of the possibility to fling the arrows out of the quivers of the gnolls! (using mage hand). Mischief abounds and knows no end!

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Aodhán sifts through his memory for an appropriate spell, but nothing he finds there seems useful in the current situation. Shrugging slightly, he drops Skullcleaver to the ledge beside him and pulls out a javelin. His throw doesn't go anything like he planned, and the javelin flies harmlessly over the heads of the archers and out the door. Houwlou pulls out a javelin of his own and hurls it toward the entrenched Gnolls, but one of them flings up a shield and deflects the missile harmlessly against a wall.

One of the archers in the back draws a bead on the Olcán and lets fly! The arrow caroms off the slender column sheltering the wolf-kin's furry hide.

Tsadok's ruse is met with rude barking laughter. "You bark like a Gnoll, but you're the scrawniest, baldest excuse for a Gnoll I've ever seen!" The front rank Gnoll to the West looks right at the young man, his eyes clearly piercing the shadowy light within the ruined mill.

The second archer fires an arrow in Harnry's general direction; at least the mage assumes it's meant for him - it flies so wide of the mark it's difficult to tell.

Tempest strikes true, driving a shaft with devastating force through one of the archer's armor. While powerful, the blow doesn't drop the Gnoll.

GM: Top of Round 2: Harnry, then Gnolls 01 & 02.

[sblock=Scott DeWar]Ah, now I comprehend your purpose. Unfortunately, it still won't work; the spell description specifically calls out the target as one non-magical, unattended object. Good thinking, though![/sblock]

[sblock=Combat Status]
Code:
[u]Combatant          AC/ T/FF   -HP         Condition[/u]
Harnry             14/12/12    00         None
Gnoll 01           19/12/15    00         None
Gnoll 02           19/12/15    00         None
Aodhán             20/12/18    00         None
Houwlou            17/11/16    00         None
Gnoll 03           19/16/19    11         Cover
Tsadok             17/15/13    00         Sitting
Gnoll 04           19/16/19    00         Cover
Keeland            16/13/13    00         None