• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A monk question and a newbie question

Kazuel

First Post
Ok first off, the newbie question. What in the world does IIRC mean?

Now that that is out of the way, what practicle use does the skill concentration do for a monk? It's an obvious choice for casters, but why is it a skill for monks? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Kazuel said:
Ok first off, the newbie question. What in the world does IIRC mean?

Now that that is out of the way, what practicle use does the skill concentration do for a monk? It's an obvious choice for casters, but why is it a skill for monks? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

According to the description of concentration, any time you take damage while performing a skill that provokes an AoO, you must make a concentration check the continue that skill use.

Mind you, I don't think that any of the monk skills actually provoke AoOs except in the most extreme situations (like using perform in front of an armed opponent).

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I remember finding something really obscure and hidden less than a week ago that made concentration worth it for a monk....and i'll be damned if I can remember what it was.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
It probably is for the monk's supernatural abilites like wholeness of body and abundant step. You could use the skill to do these things defensively or to maintain them if you get hit.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Well, to take it the other way; it’s the kind of thing a monk should have. If you grow up in a monastery and meditate every day, it seems odd to me that you can’t concentrate on anything.

I guess that’s just a roll-playing thing though.

-Tatsu

Kae'Yoss

First Post
What they said: For roleplaying, and for actions that provoke AoO's.

And if the monk's from Rokugan, he might want to meditate (concentration check) to get his Void Points back faster.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Shazman said:
It probably is for the monk's supernatural abilites like wholeness of body and abundant step. You could use the skill to do these things defensively or to maintain them if you get hit.
Supernatural abilities don't provoke attacks of opportunity.

srd said:
snip
Use extraordinary ability..............No

Use skill that takes 1 action.........Usually

Use spell-like ability....................Yes

Use supernatural ability...............No
also from the srd (the description of concentration):
In general, if an action wouldn’t normally provoke an attack of opportunity, you need not make a Concentration check to avoid being distracted.

It does appear very useful for using spell-like abilities, but the monk doesn't have any.

I think concentration has very little utility for a monk, unless you're building him around potion-taking. It seems to be a flavor skill to reflect his skill in meditation. The most useful thing I can see is if you're multiclassing with a spellcaster you can still add ranks without penalty. Otherwise, it's no more useful for a monk than it is for a fighter.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads