• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A monk with ki strike: adamantite...

Trainz

Explorer
Well, actually I think it means that it bypasses the first 20 points of hardness of any material.

An object that would be hardness 25, would really be hardness 5 to you, meaning that if you do 16 damage, you will take away 11 hp's from the item.

Am I wrong ?

UltimaGabe

First Post
Trainz said:
Well, actually I think it means that it bypasses the first 20 points of hardness of any material.

An object that would be hardness 25, would really be hardness 5 to you, meaning that if you do 16 damage, you will take away 11 hp's from the item.

Am I wrong ?

That's how a lot of people interperet it, but that's not how it's spelled out in the rules. According to the rules, Adamantine (which has a hardness of 20) as well as a Monk with the Ki Strike (Adamantine) ability ignores the hardness of any object with hardness of 20 or less. So when striking wood, stone, iron, or even another object made of adamantine, it ignores hardness completely. If it were striking something with Hardness of 21 (such as magically hardened adamantine or something), all 21 points of hardness would apply.

It's spelled out in the Hardness/Hit Points section of the PHB.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Trainz said:
Am I wrong ?

You're wrong.

Adamantine versus hardness 15? Ignores it.
Adamantine versus hardness 19? Ignores it.
Adamantine versus hardness 20? Doesn't ignore it.

"Weapons fashioned from adamantine have a natural ability to bypass hardness when sundering weapons or attacking objects, ignoring hardness less than 20."

Is the hardness less than 20? If the answer is no, then adamantine is of no advantage.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
UltimaGabe said:
According to the rules, Adamantine (which has a hardness of 20) as well as a Monk with the Ki Strike (Adamantine) ability ignores the hardness of any object with hardness of 20 or less.

No. "Less than 20".

Adamantine versus adamantine needs to get past the hardness the, uh, hard way.

-Hyp.

Trainz

Explorer
Thanks Hyp. We (our group) weren't aware of that.

That somewhat lessen the usefullness of adamantine weapons. A bit.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
RolandOfGilead said:
thanks caliban, didnt have my books in front of me.
Is that number (19) spelled out anywhere? or does it just say "adamantite ignores hardness"?
It says that it ignores hardness less than 20. So hardnes of 19 or less is ignored, hardness of 20 or higher is not.

Remove ads