A new beginning.

GladiusNP

First Post
Round 2.

Aerlyn's voice takes on a deep resonance as she utters the last syllable of her spell. For an instant, her eyes seem to flash a brilliant white, as an white-argent spear of light flies from her hand. It strikes the figure in the shoulder, staggering it (OOC - 2 damage.)

As Dravis and Caedren remove the slime from their clothing, bolts fly from two of the orcs on the northern wall, one firing at the prone elf, the other at the Druid. Both shots fly wide of their intended target, Dravis's frantic scraping making him a difficult target, and Caedren dropping behind the wall in the nick of time. (OOC, AR's - 5, 2. Wow, am I rolling bad!). The other orc on the wall moves towards the tower - disappearing from view.

The black figure gestures powerfully towards Dravis, a brief flicker of black smoke fluttering around his mace, (OOC - Will Saving Throw, 17+6 = 23), but Dravis simply spits on the cobblestones, and feel the magic simply wash over him.

Aerlyn fires another missile (OOC - 2 damage.), then turns and runs, her golden hair streaming out behind her. She arrives in the gatehouse, moving past both Caedren, who has just finished buckling his armor, and Dravis, who hasn't had time to do more than scrape off the slime. Her eyes take a second to adjust to the gloom, and she realises the third orc is in the tower. His tongue darts out, and he slowly licks the crescent blade of his axe. With a bellow, he charges.

Aerlyn

First Post
Seeing the insane blood lust in the charging orc's eyes, Aerlyn knows there is no time to cast another spell. Mindful of his swinging axe, she crouches slightly, steadies her spear and aims for the foul orc's heart.

Ceadren

First Post
Caedren, feeling that the orcs on the other wall are incapable of hitting anything, stands his ground. Taking what cover is offered from the wall, he kneels.

“Dravis! Go with Aerlyn, hurry! I’ll put couple of holes in the spell caster! Go!”

Reaching back he pulls two arrows, nocks them in place and sets his sights on the black figure. Drawing the string on the inhale, then holding his breath to steady his aim, he fires.

WraithSpawn

First Post
Simultaneously hearing the Orc's bellow and Caedren's command, Dravis hastens to the tower. He sees the Orc nearing Aerlyn and watches her prepare for the Orc's attack. Dravis stabs his spear over her shoulder at the oncoming Orc, hoping to use its force to skewer the Orc.

GladiusNP

First Post
Caedren fires his two shots very quickly, his hands blurring with motion. Both are simultaneously in the air, but fly wide, harmlessly hitting the turf. (ooc - AR 6 + 4 -2 = 8, and 7 + 4 -2 = 8.) The black priest spits in disgust, then makes another gesture. Another wreath of smoke arises from the mace of the priest, and Caedren feels as unpleasant sensation watch over him, as his limbs go rigid. (OOC - Will Saving Throw, 4+1 = 5). The priest grins in satisfaction, and begins to move towards Caedren, his mace held high in readiness.

Aerlyn ducks low, her spear braced against her foot. The orc spins at the last moment, just as she jabs (This is your Attack of Opportunity. 7 -1 + 2 = 9) . Her spear misses, and she is off balance. The orc brings his axe around with him as he spins, arcing down in a tight circle. (AR - 19, damage 5) . The blow takes Aerlyn on her spear, but glances high to bite into her chest. She feels a sudden warmth and looks down to see crimson blood welling up over the head of the axe, just as the orc pulls it away. A high pitched bird's scream echoes around the keep tower, and Aerlyn can sense Fallon swooping down, rage in the owl's keening voice.

Dravis moves up to behind Aerlyn, and stabs out at the orc, his thrust coming powerfully down with both hands, (It doesn't get an AO - you are out of its reach, so clever work there. +2 to roll, since orc charged in this round. AR - 12 + 3 + 2 = 17) The mighty blow takes the orc square in the chest, and Dravis feels the ashwood of the shaft bow slightly and then the tension is gone, the spear splintering the scale mail hauberk that the orc wears with an audible crunch. (Damage 8 + 1 = 9.) The orc seems almost surprised, and falls down backwards into the slime-pit as Dravis pulls out his spear.

As Caedren hears the air rent by the cry of Fallon, he sees both orcs stand and fire. The first is a very poor shot,(AR - 6 - 2 = 4), but the second is dead on target. Fortunately, Caedren's foresight means the meager cover of the wall is enough to deflect the bolt away. (AR - 15 - 2 = 13). However, denied any chance to move, Caedren feels he is in grave peril.

WraithSpawn

First Post
Dravis, consumed in bloodlust, roughly pushes past Aerlyn and charges the other two orcs. He screams in rage and attempts to disembowel the closest orc, oblivious to Caedren's predicament.
(OOC- Kerry, might be good for ur character to help Chris'. . . No offense for not helping Chris, but not in my character's nature to ignore orcs for long.)

Ceadren

First Post
OOC - As I understand, at this particular moment in time, I am on the wall and the black figure is not. So, unless he can fly, float, or otherwise think himself into existence onto the wall next to me, I’m OK for now. Furthermore, I am assuming in this post that just my limbs have gone numb (as described), but not my ability to speak. I am also assuming that this paralysis is only going to last a round.

With options quickly diminishing, diplomacy was the last thing on Caedren’s mind. Choking the fear and panic back, he spoke to the approaching figure in a calm but commanding air, hoping to give himself and the others more time.

“Priest! Your countenance betrays you! Do not be so confident in your abilities. Look around you, where have your minions gone to?"

OOC- Help! Hope this doesn’t mean the death of me!

Last edited:

Aerlyn

First Post
Aerlyn immediately covers her wound with her left hand and holds back a gurgling cry. She blinks the tears from her eyes and tries to ignore the coppery taste of blood in the back of her throat. After staggering to the wall, she makes her way over to the open door while remaining partially concealed, only to see Caedren frozen under the black priest's spell. Seeing the black figure approach her long time friend with a look of sadistic glee on his face infuriates Aerlyn. With what will and determination she could muster up, she raises her blood soaked hand level with the priest, closes her eyes and begins to chant the all too familiar verses of magic missile.

GladiusNP

First Post
Rounds 7 and 8

Dravis moves rapidly, stepping into the open doorway. He lowers his head, and feels himself begin to gather speed. He doesn't shout this time as he charges, but couches his spear almost like a lance. Only one of the two orcs manages to switch to an axe in time to meet the charge, but Dravis is out of the orc's range, and the spear takes the beast in (OOC - Attack Roll 13 + 2 from charge + 3 = 18, Damage 6 + 1 = 7 the stomach, finding a weak spot in the armor, and being driven home. The other orc moves up behind the corpse, and attempts to move up next to Dravis, but Dravis whips his spear across like a staff, the point scoring across the orc's shoulder (OOC - Attack of Opportunity Roll 13 + 3 = 16, Damage 2 + 1 = 3, not quite striking home. The orc then takes his chance (AR 16 vs. AC 11 - 2 from charge) and drives his axe in at the Druid, taking the druid in the hip, knocking Dravis off balance, and cutting a nasty wound. (6 damage. You've lost 8 hp altogether.)

(Ok. Sorry Chris, but Caedren can't speak, so you're limited to only mental actions. Which means there isn't much you can do. Maybe think about you're next feat selection. Otherwise I'd have been very impressed with an Intimidate attempt. But the priest (INT 7 - 1 = 6) still would keep coming. Frozen from action, Caedren still feels an overwhelming sense of restlesssness. The priest continues to move toward the stairs up the wall, but suddenly looks up as he hears Dravis kill the orc. Apparently lacking the overwhelming hostility of the orcs, he turns and begins to run, moving away to the east side of the keep, and then out of sight.

Aerlyn moves out, and fires at the fleeing figure, the silver bolt flying true as always, and striking the figure squarely in the shoulder just before he disappears from view (Damage 3 + 1 = 4. The figure shrugs off the blow, and keeps fleeing.

(New Round)

A sudden bolt from above crashes into the orc on the wall, and a screaming Fallon scratches futilely at the orcs helmet, then careening past into the courtyard proper. Taking advantage of the distraction, Dravis kills the final orc. (OOC - Attack Roll 12 + 3 = 15, Damage 7 + 1 = 8

The black figure is still fleeing, so it looks like the party have carried the day. It seems like you could pursue - except Caedren is still frozen.

(I assume you guys want to regroup and heal etc. If not, you can run the pursuit. Only Aerlyn and Dravis can currently move, and only Aerlyn this round. If no one wants to pursue, then we go out of combat. Well done guys.)

Remove ads