A Pirates Life (Swashbuckler base class and Dread Pirate PrC)

Bront

The man with the probe
The idea was to make up for the disadvantage with light/one handed weapons in a disarm.

But yes, other abilities might work.

And the spiked chain is cheese, doesn't count.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
The idea was to make up for the disadvantage with light/one handed weapons in a disarm.

But yes, other abilities might work.

And the spiked chain is cheese, doesn't count.
If someone tries to make a Spiked Chain Swashbuckler disarm character, are we going to stop them, though?

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
If someone tries to make a Spiked Chain Swashbuckler disarm character, are we going to stop them, though?
No, because it's legal, but it's still cheese :p

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
No, because it's legal, but it's still cheese :p
Oh, I agree. But it starts getting screwy when one guy has a +13 to the check above and beyond his normal modifiers :lol: I'd rather it be lower and give them something else that's cool too (like my suggestions abovE)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Here we go with another attempt. Modified Improved Grace so its adds to Disarm (graduate to +3 max at 20th), accelerated tumbling, and an improved insightful strike:

~~~~

1 - Weapon Finesse
2 - Grace +1 (Initiative, Reflex)
3 - Insightful Strike
4 - Improved Disarm
5 - Graceful Defense (AC, Disarm)
6 -
7 - Acrobatic Charge
8 - Improved Flanking
9 - Accelerated Tumbling
10 - Critical Finesse
11 - Grace +2, lucky
12 -
13 - Acrobatic skill Mastery
14 - Weakening critical
15 - Improved Insightful Strike
16 - Really Lucky
17 - Slippery Mind
18 -
19 - Wounding critical
20 - Grace +3

D8 HD, 6 SP, and added skills of Disguise, Intimidate, Knowledge (nobility & royalty), Ride and Sleight of Hand (ala Ferrix)

Grace - Adds competence bonus to Initiative as well as reflex save.

Improved Disarm - As feat, even if swashbuckler doesn't qualify for it normaly.

Graceful Defense - Grace bonus is also added as a dodge bonus to AC when wearing light or no armor and to disarm attempts/resisting being disarmed when using a finesse weapon.

Accelerated Tumbling - When wearing light armor or no armor and not carrying more than a light load, a swashbuckler may Tumble up to their full speed instead of half their speed.

Critical Finesse - When wearing light or no armor, and using a finesse weapon, the swashbuckler is considered to have the Improved Critical feat with any finesse weapon he wields.

Improved Insightful Strike - A swashbuckler may add their Intelligence bonus (if any) to attack roles to confirm a critical hit with a finesse weapon.

Really Lucky - May use luck a second time per day, though only once on any roll.

~~~

Thoughts?

Edit: Removed the partially removed Acrobatic Dervish

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
What's Acrobatic Dervish and where is it on the chart? It seems highly abusable. Since it isn't on the chart, I guess it isn't actually meant to be there? Assuming Acrobatic Dervish is not a class ability, I vote YES on the modified Swashbuckler. Very nicely done, guys--I think we've built a very attractive alternative for a Fighter that trades versatility for flavourful abilities to help in the Swashbucklery moves (rather than the old one which trades versatility for sucking :lol: )

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
What's Acrobatic Dervish and where is it on the chart? It seems highly abusable. Since it isn't on the chart, I guess it isn't actually meant to be there? Assuming Acrobatic Dervish is not a class ability, I vote YES on the modified Swashbuckler.
It was something I was thinking about for 15th level, but then decided it would be too powerful (the similar ability for the Dervish is only 3 or 4/day at that level). Fixed.

I'd vote for it, but I wrote it. ;)

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
What's Acrobatic Dervish and where is it on the chart? It seems highly abusable. Since it isn't on the chart, I guess it isn't actually meant to be there? Assuming Acrobatic Dervish is not a class ability, I vote YES on the modified Swashbuckler. Very nicely done, guys--I think we've built a very attractive alternative for a Fighter that trades versatility for flavourful abilities to help in the Swashbucklery moves (rather than the old one which trades versatility for sucking :lol: )

Vote: Yes

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
It was something I was thinking about for 15th level, but then decided it would be too powerful (the similar ability for the Dervish is only 3 or 4/day at that level). Fixed.

I'd vote for it, but I wrote it. ;)
Bront wrote it too, partially, so it looks like only KO can finish this?

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
Bront wrote it too, partially, so it looks like only KO can finish this?
Yep, seems like it (and I meant to imply that I made the latest changes, not claim ownership).

Remove ads