A Pirates Life (Swashbuckler base class and Dread Pirate PrC)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Other judges? We have a YES from RA on Windwright and Dread Pirate, and no current further discussion on Swash.

Bront

The man with the probe
I said earlier I'd vote the Windright in a different thread, but no one responded :(

I like dread, so Yes :)

I guess leadership works, it's just a headache in many cases (like people who don't own ships, etc).

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Dread passes in 48 hours unless KO nays it then :)
As does Windwright as you and Bront have okay'd it.

What is the thought on Swash? Generally, I get the impression there is the concern that it is underpowered at high level, but no one really wants to fix it too badly. :)

Ferrix

Explorer
stonegod said:
As does Windwright as you and Bront have okay'd it.

What is the thought on Swash? Generally, I get the impression there is the concern that it is underpowered at high level, but no one really wants to fix it too badly. :)

Swashbuckler is a bit bland at all levels I find. Looking at Rystil's gestalt version I'd keep the 6 skill points a level, drop the HD to a d8 (like ranger) add Disguise, Intimidate, Knowledge (nobility & royalty), Ride and Sleight of Hand to the normal swashbuckler skill list. Change the weapon proficiencies around a bit granting simple weapons plus all light, one-handed, and finessable martial weapons and the whip.

For class abilities... i'm sort of stuck... I think they should gain some bonus on the stylish combat maneuvers (disarm specifically). An initiative bonus makes some sense.

My biggest gripe with the class is similar to the monk, lack of options. Replacing some of the abilities with a list of special abilities (sort of like the rogue) would make more sense to me, letting a 20th level swashbuckler customize a bit more.

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Dread passes in 48 hours unless KO nays it then :)

OK, I'm probably being dense, but I couldn't find the rule. Is there something on this in one of the long discussion threads?

There are only 3 judges right now... does LEB use this LEW rule?

YES votes need to exceed NO votes by at least 2 to pass, with a minimum of 3 YES votes. If NO votes exceed YES votes by at least 2, with a minimum of 3 NO votes, the matter is closed. Voting will remain open until either of these conditions has been met for a continuous period of 48 hours, at which point the decision becomes official.

It is possible that a proposal will neither pass nor be officially closed. Example: A proposal may gain 4 yes votes and 3 no votes and attract no further votes. In such a circumstance, the proposal has not passed and does not become a rule barring a change in circumstances.

If so, only a unanimous vote would pass at the moment.

Rystil Arden

First Post
For now, two Judges are enough to vote in a proposal, unless it gets the angry red no. It's a special exception to help the starter proposals get wings and take off :)

Bront

The man with the probe
I don't like taking away martial weapon proficiency from the swashbuckler. Mostly for the idea of "grab anything and use it" aspect.

My take on the class...

1 - Weapon Finesse
2 - Grace +1
3 - Insightful Strike
4 - Improved Disarm
5 - Improved Grace
6 - Disarm Bonus +1
7 - Acrobatic Charge
8 - Improved Flanking
9 - Disarm Bonus +2
10 - Critical Finesse
11 - Grace +2, lucky
12 - Disarm Bonus +3
13 - Acrobatic skill Mastery
14 - Weakening critical
15 - Disarm Bonus +4
16 - Realy Lucky
17 - Slippery Mind
18 - Disarm Bonus +5
19 - Wounding critical
20 - Grace +3

I like droping it to D8 HD, giving it 6 points, and increasing the skill selection with Disguise, Intimidate, Knowledge (nobility & royalty), Ride and Sleight of Hand (thanks Ferrix)

Grace - Adds compitence bonus to Initiative as well as reflex save.

Improved Disarm - As feat, even if swashbuckler doesn't qualify for it normaly.

Improved Grace - Grace bonus is also added as a dodge bonus to AC when wearing light or no armor.

Disarm Bonus - Bonus to disarm or resist being disarmed when using a finesse weapon.

Critical Finesse - When wearing light or no armor, and using a finesse weapon, the swashbuckler is considered to have the Improved Critical feat with any finesse weapon he wields.

Really Lucky - May use luck a second time per day, though only once on any roll.

Comments? Questions?

Remove ads