A Pirates Life (Swashbuckler base class and Dread Pirate PrC)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
My opinion of the swashbuckler has sort of already been said, but I find that the ranger is in many ways a better lightly-armored fighter type than the swashbuckler since he gains more skill points and a bit more progressional combat affects.

Thus, putting the swashbuckler more on par with the ranger base wise (HD, skills, saves) would to me make a very good starting point, and then spread out some interesting abilities.
What do you think of tweaking down the one in the SBLOCK? In addition to what I said above, I'd give it a much smaller class skill list than I have there. Perhaps we could keep both good saves though, like a Ranger.

Erekose13

Explorer
The buccaneer that I had created for LEW had some nifty abilities too. They might be something to pull from.

Though personally I'd rather see the Swashbuckler make it in as is. Some classes are naturally not as good as others. If someone wants to play this class knowing that, more power to them.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
The buccaneer that I had created for LEW had some nifty abilities too. They might be something to pull from.

Though personally I'd rather see the Swashbuckler make it in as is. Some classes are naturally not as good as others. If someone wants to play this class knowing that, more power to them.
I'm fine with that too, honestly. That's why I said I vote vote for it if there wasn't any discussion, knowing that it is a dip-only class.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
My plan was not to take in full levels (it works well with the concept I have above). If someone wants to create a mod or something, they can propose it. I was just furthering the discussion. :)

So, the things I proposed:
- Swashbuckler base
- Dread Pirate PrC
- Windwright Captian (but that is already proposed elsewhere)

Bront

The man with the probe
My only worry about the Dread Pirate is that it suggest allowing the leadership feat, which could be an issue (and one I wanted to discuss later). I like the class though, having played one.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
My only worry about the Dread Pirate is that it suggest allowing the leadership feat, which could be an issue (and one I wanted to discuss later). I like the class though, having played one.
Yoho! Yeah, Leadership...my opinion is that a character can gain Followers, but some GMs will have adventures where they don't let the player bring them. They can have a Cohort too, but GMs have the right to take that into consideration and recruit fewer characters since the cohort could count as one.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Yoho! Yeah, Leadership...my opinion is that a character can gain Followers, but some GMs will have adventures where they don't let the player bring them. They can have a Cohort too, but GMs have the right to take that into consideration and recruit fewer characters since the cohort could count as one.
Leadership is a natural for both Dread Pirate and Windwright Captian (or any similar give me a crew PrC). Similar issues will arise with the Thrallheard psionic PrC and to a lesser extent with the Mindbender PrC (CompArc).

For Dread Pirate/Windwright, having the crew stay with the ship most of the time would make the most sense. But a general rule should be in place.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
Leadership is a natural for both Dread Pirate and Windwright Captian (or any similar give me a crew PrC). Similar issues will arise with the Thrallheard psionic PrC and to a lesser extent with the Mindbender PrC (CompArc).

For Dread Pirate/Windwright, having the crew stay with the ship most of the time would make the most sense. But a general rule should be in place.
I remember the old Dread Pirate PrC in 3.0. I used that with a VERY strict reading of the abilities to get a few laughs--the party was in a desert town, and they were being chased by a Dread Pirate in a rowboat with a sail that was somehow moving at speed 50 because the Dread Pirate could coax an extra 50 movement out of his ship, and normally it wouldn't be able to move :lol:

Velmont

First Post
Leadership could be used like in LEW:

Followers have evry few impact in the game, or none. For a Captain, it would gives an idea of teh crew of his ship, but the crew is most unlikely to follow his captain outside the ship.

Cohort could be an NPC that follow the PC if the GM want to. So if the boat land, the Cohort would follow, but if the GM doesn't want him, he could simply pretend for something must be done on teh ship...

In LEW, it is mainly that for Rinaldo. The followers are the employee of his shop(s), his cohort follow him, but might have to stay behind to take care of the business once in a while.

Remove ads