A Simple Errand (DM:renau1g, Judge: covaithe)

Dekana

Explorer
Jax can't help but stare in awe at the magnificent creatures as they soar into the sky from their hiding positions. However, the acid breath easily snaps him out of his reverie. Still burning, he draws his crossbow and fires at the closest dragon. He then turns and scrambles into the brush.

[sblock=actions](this is all after Ingot goes, in case he'd like to heal me)
Start of turn: take 5 damage ongoing.

Minor: Draw crossbow.
Standard: Sly Flourish at Green 1. Hits for 10 damage.
Move: Move to J-15. Since 3 squares of brush gives superior cover, I'll try a stealth check to hide as part of the move: 20.

Saving throw to end ongoing damage and slow: 4, not ended.[/sblock][sblock=Jax stat block]Jax- Male Kobold Rogue 1
Conditions: Bloodied, Slowed, Ongoing 5 poison
Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 10
AC:17, Fort:11, Reflex:17, Will:13 -- Speed:6 (2)
HP:10/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:6/7
Initiative +5
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers: Shifty, Piercing Strike, Sly Flourish, Positioning Strike, Blinding Barrage
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
OOC: dangit, the total defense almost saved Ingot from the breath! So close! Dangit!! :)

Ingot is also amazed at the sight of the dragons soaring through the sky. They're small... but bigger than the wyrmling Ershahz, and quite majestic... The warforged barely flinches as the poisonous breath descends on it, though it is obviously affected, its movement slowed.

It draws its fullblade from its hip socket in a smooth motion. "Vulkar, guide my blade now!" it rasps, as the blade shines with radiant power. It swings at the dragon's body, but the beast's armor just manages to turn aside the blade.

Ingot's jaw clacks in frustration. "Great Forger... let us at least heal our new companion Jax," the warforged prays. Healing energies wash over the hiding kobold.

[sblock=Actions]Take 5 points from ongoing damage. (Note, renau1g you had Ingot at 24 hp after the breath, but I think it should have been 23, so it's now at 18.)
Minor: draw fullblade
Free: Divine Fortune for +1 to attack
Standard: Healing Strike vs. dragon: Healing Strike vs. Dragon (1d20+8+1=15, 2d12+4=13)
Ok, missed by one. If I keep missing by one and getting hit exactly, I'm going to cry! :mad:
Minor: Healing Word on Jax: heals surge + 8 Healing Word for Jax (1d6+3=8)
Saving throw (+2 for warforged vs. ongoing damage): Saving Throw vs. breath (1d20+2=8)
Missed by two!! I think i just felt a tear on my cheek...[/sblock]
[sblock=Ingot stat block]Ingot- Neuter Warforged Cleric 2
Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 14
AC:19, Fort:15, Reflex:12, Will:17 -- Speed:5
HP:18/32, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:8/9
Initiative -1
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers: Sacred Flame, Righteous Brand, Healing Word(x2), [/s]Healing Strike, Avenging Flame, Armor of Faith, Channel Divinity (Divine Fortune/Turn Undead), Warforged Resolve
[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
We must act fast, Dorn thinks, his head swimming from the poison
(OOC: Take 5 poison damage, now bloodied, which activates half-orc resilience, granting 5 tmp hp).

He tries to call forth lightning, channeling his power through his new dagger (OOC: draw weapon) but his fingers produce a pathetic buzzing noise and nothing more (OOC: Lightning strike natural 2.)

Must.... spread out... he thinks. He tries his best to move, but the poison hinders his movements (OOC: Move to O14)

"Crag, Ingot... I liked the last dragon better!" Dorn quips, attempting to sound brave. But he sounds more than a little shaky (OOC: Save vs poison fails)

[sblock=Dorn Stat Block]
Dorn, Half-Orc Sorcerer 2
Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10
AC 17, Fort 12, Reflex 15, Will 17 (base defenses)
HP 13/27, +5 tmp Bloodied 13 Surge Value 6, Surges 6/6
Speed 6, Initiative +5
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
Wild Soul: Psychic (resist 5, ignore 5 enemy resistance)
bloodied
ongoing 5 poison and slowed (se - afteraffect, slowed (se))
+1 AC from even attack roll

Encounter Resources
Bedeviling Burst
Furious Assault
USED Half-Orc Resilience
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Ice Javelins
Deep Shroud
Deathstalker Dagger

1x potion of healing
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Reklaw

First Post
Rrek is watching the ground in front of him intently as he marches on, his focus broken by Crag's warning. Stumbling forward as the dragon breathes it's poison he grimaces against the pain and fights his way towards the dragon, his sword crackling with magical energies.

He moves next to the dragon, shouting an arcane word in an unrecognizable tongue. As he shouts he throws his free hand up, sending arcane power in a burst about himself. The silvery force surrounds the dragon, permeating the beast's scaly hide.

He follows this burst of power with a slashing blow from his sword, but the sword sweeps wide, narrowly missing Ingot and slicing a few leaves from a nearby bush. A crackling silver trail follows behind the sword, though it fizzles with a pop as Rrek brings his sword back into a guard position.

[sblock=Actions]
Someone else want to roll for me? :p
Booming Blade Attack - [1,8] = (9)
Booming Blade Damage - [8,5] = (13)
Save VS Poison - [14,4] = (18)
Save VS Slow - [19,4] = (23)

Aegis of Shielding applied to the dragon and Rrek moves to 18N where he completely missing with a booming blade attack. Unsure of success with the saves?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Rrek's Stats]Rrek - Githyanki SwordMage 1
Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10
AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 13
HP 19/33, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 8, Surges 12/12
Speed 6, Initiative +2
Action Points: 1 Second Wind
At-Will Powers: Aegis of Shielding, Lightning Lure, Booming Blade Encounter Powers: Telekinetic Leap, Sword of Sigils
Daily Powers: Dimensional Thunder [/sblock]

Last edited:

Kalidrev

First Post
Top of Round 2

Crag feels Terra's strength within him and he gives the dragon a grin.

"Come and feel the edge of my blade, you fiend!"

Crag swings his blade at the dragon and manages to slip his blade between a few of the overlapping scales. As his blade pierces the flesh of the beast, Crag can feel Terra hardening the stone that covers his body. Crag stands at the ready, his shield before him and his sword ready for a quick attack should the beast attempt to move away from him.

[sblock=Actions]
- Free Action: Mark the dragon nearest to me.
- Standard action: Attacks with Earth Shield Strike and hits for 10 damage. Crag gains a +1 power bonus to AC until the end of his next turn.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Crag's Stats] Crag - Warforged Warden 2
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 11
AC 22 (Until End of Next Turn), Fort 17, Reflex 13, Will 13
HP 49/49 + 5 THP, Bloodied 24, Surge Value 12, Surges 14/14
Speed 6, Initiative +1
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
At-Will Powers: Warden's Fury, Warden's Grasp, Strength of Stone, Thorn Strike

Encounter Powers: Hungry Earth, Warforged Resolve Daily Powers: Form of the Winter's Herald (Form of the Winter's Herald Attack)

Note on Warden's Fury and Warden's Grasp:

Warden's Fury gives me a free attack against any of my marked foes adjacent to me that attack any of my allies (as an Immediate Interupt). If it hits, it does my normal basic attack damage, but it also makes the target grant combat advantage until the end of my next turn.

Warden's Grasp lets me slide any of my marked foes within 5 squares of me that attack any of my allies. The slide is one square and it also slows them and doesn't allow them to shift until the end of it's turn (this is an Immediate Reaction). [/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Actions]
Someone else want to roll for me? :p
Save VS Poison - [14,4] = (18)
Save VS Slow - [19,4] = (23)

Unsure of success with the saves?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Reklaw]New to 4e?

You did succeed on your saving throw! All you have to do is get a 10 or higher on a d20 to succeed at a save. (There can be modifiers on this roll, but they are uncommon.)

Also, you only had to make one saving throw in this case. This part can be a little confusing. The dragon's breath imposed two conditions, the ongoing damage and slow. However, you only need to make a single saving throw per source of effect. E.g. if a rogue stabbed you for ongoing poison damage, then a wizard cast a spell on you that slowed you, you'd save against each separately. In this case though, one source (the dragon breath) imposed both effects, so only one saving throw is needed to lift it.

However... the dragon's breath also has an "Aftereffect" clause. This means that after you make your first save removing the original effect, the effect(s) listed under "Aftereffect" now kick in. So, you are still slowed. You don't get a chance to save against that effect until the end of your next round.

This is a more complicated example than usual. "Aftereffect" is fairly uncommon, and powerful. But hey, it's dragon breath, it's supposed to be strong![/sblock]

Reklaw

First Post
[sblock=Confused]Newish, but always confused by saves;) Didn't realize I just had to beat 10, thought I might have to beat the roll that got me in the first place(22 I believe). Thanks for clearing that up! Will roll my second save next turn to take care of the aftereffect![/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Ingot is also amazed at the sight of the dragons soaring through the sky. They're small... but bigger than the wyrmling Ershahz, and quite majestic... The warforged barely flinches as the poisonous breath descends on it, though it is obviously affected, its movement slowed.

It draws its fullblade from its hip socket in a smooth motion. "Vulkar, guide my blade now!" it rasps, as the blade shines with radiant power. It swings at the dragon's body, but the beast's armor just manages to turn aside the blade.

Ingot's jaw clacks in frustration. "Great Forger... let us at least heal our new companion Jax," the warforged prays. Healing energies wash over the hiding kobold.

Jax can't help but stare in awe at the magnificent creatures as they soar into the sky from their hiding positions. However, the acid breath easily snaps him out of his reverie. Still burning, he draws his crossbow and fires at the closest dragon. He then turns and scrambles into the brush.

We must act fast, Dorn thinks, his head swimming from the poison

He tries to call forth lightning, channeling his power through his new dagger but his fingers produce a pathetic buzzing noise and nothing more

Must.... spread out... he thinks. He tries his best to move, but the poison hinders his movements.

"Crag, Ingot... I liked the last dragon better!" Dorn quips, attempting to sound brave. But he sounds more than a little shaky.

Rrek is watching the ground in front of him intently as he marches on, his focus broken by Crag's warning. Stumbling forward as the dragon breathes it's poison he grimaces against the pain and fights his way towards the dragon, his sword crackling with magical energies.

He moves next to the dragon, shouting an arcane word in an unrecognizable tongue. As he shouts he throws his free hand up, sending arcane power in a burst about himself. The silvery force surrounds the dragon, permeating the beast's scaly hide.

He follows this burst of power with a slashing blow from his sword, but the sword sweeps wide, narrowly missing Ingot and slicing a few leaves from a nearby bush. A crackling silver trail follows behind the sword, though it fizzles with a pop as Rrek brings his sword back into a guard position.

Crag feels Terra's strength within him and he gives the dragon a grin.

"Come and feel the edge of my blade, you fiend!"

Crag swings his blade at the dragon and manages to slip his blade between a few of the overlapping scales. As his blade pierces the flesh of the beast, Crag can feel Terra hardening the stone that covers his body. Crag stands at the ready, his shield before him and his sword ready for a quick attack should the beast attempt to move away from him.

The dragon closest to Rrek smiles a toothy grin as he steps next to it. "Mmmm....you look like you will be a delicioussss treat. I have not seen your kind before" it hisses as the jaws snap forward with lightning speed and tear a chunk from the gith's leg. Poison seeps back into the blood.

The other dragon begins slashing quickly at Crag, it's claws a blur of movement but the efforts are all for naught as the minor marks left by the wyrmling do little to affect the warforged.

[sblock=ooc Reklaw]
No need to worry about the save for the aftereffect at end of your next turn (Just use the 19 you rolled for the second save in your last post)
[/sblock]

[sblock=stats]
HP 78; Bloodied 39
AC 16; Fortitude 14; Reflex 16; Will 14
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
D1 - Bites Rrek - vs ac; dmg (1d20 7=22, 1d8 3=11) hits for 11 and you're back to 5 ongoing
D2 - Double attacks Crag then AP's and does it again - vs ac; dmg (1d20 7=19, 1d6 3=5, 1d20 7=23, 1d6 3=4, 1d20 7=21, 1d6 3=8, 1d20 7=19, 1d6 3=8) Wowwie missing with all but 1. I guess Crag's too tough for it. hits once for 4 whoopie :(

D1 - 68/78
D2 - 55/78
Ingot - Ongoing 5 poison, slowed (save ends) - after affect - slowed (save ends)
Jax - Ongoing 5 poison, slowed (save ends) - after affect - slowed (save ends)
Dorn - Ongoing 5 poison, slowed (save ends) - after affect - slowed (save ends), bloodied
Rrek - slowed (save ends) & Ongoing 5 poison (save ends) (separate effects), bloodied

Init:
Crag - 20 - 49/49 +1thp - 14/14
Bad Guys - 19
Ingot - 19 - 18/32 - 8/9 <- You're up
Jax - 17 - 19/24 - 5/7
Dorn - 10 - 13/27 +5thp - 6/6 - bloodied
Rrek - 5 - 8/33 - 12/12 - bloodied

Dorn; rrek; jax; ingot; crag; baddie (1d20 5=10, 1d20 2=5, 1d20 5=17, 1d20=19, 1d20 1=21, 1d20 7=19) Crag!!!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
OOC: It's starting to look like it will Crag vs. dragon #1, with everyone else dead... :(

The caustic fumes permeating Ingot's circulatory system burn through a couple of hoses, splashing fluid on the ground, but the warforged ignores it and swings at the dragon again. This time, the blade strikes true and penetrates the emerald scales. The image of a smith's hammer, outlined in flame, appears in Rrek's vision, showing him where to strike.

Ingot jumps back a step, trying to get out of the dragon's reach. The holy symbol of Vulkar on its chest flares like a white-hot brand and a small flame streaks over to the dragon, burning it. Excess radiant energy flows towards the githyanki, trying to cleanse the poison from his blood.

"Vulkar, thank you for lending me your strength and skill! Now, let us repair Rrek, so that he may serve as a bulwark!" More healing power washes over the swordmage.

[sblock=Actions]Take 5 ongoing damage; current hp now 13; Ingot is bloodied.
Free:Spend Action Point. (activates Veteran's Armor property; Ingot gets +1 item bonus to attack rolls and defenses until end of its next turn.)
Standard: Righteous Brand vs. dragon 1 (1d20+8+1=24, 1d12+4=16) Now that's more like it! Max damage! Also, Rrek receives +4 power bonus to his melee attacks against the dragon until end of Ingot's next turn.
Move: Shift to L17
Standard: Sacred Flame vs dragon 1 (1d20+4+1=20, 1d6+3=9) Wow, max damage again! Rolling as well this round as I rolled badly last round! An ally of Ingot's can make a saving throw... and I think it ought to be Rrek, who is hurting pretty bad. Rrek, you could use this chance to save against either the slow effect or the ongoing damage; I'd recommend trying to save against the ongoing damage, since if you successfully save now, the damage won't hit you at the start of your turn.
Minor: Healing Word for Rrek (1d6+3=5) Hot rolling streak ends, oh well! But, Rrek heals 13 hit points total. If you can save against the poison you'll be in decent shape!
Saving throw (+2 for ongoing damage): Save vs. breath (1d20+2=3) Curses!!![/sblock]
[sblock=out of healing]So quickly! Get those potions and second winds ready![/sblock]
[sblock=Ingot stat block]Ingot- Neuter Warforged Cleric 2
Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 14
AC:19 (+1 TENT), Fort:15 (+1 TENT), Reflex:12 (+1 TENT), Will:17 (+1 TENT) -- Speed:5
HP:13/32, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:8/9 Ongoing 5 poison + slowed
Initiative -1
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers: Sacred Flame, Righteous Brand, Healing Word(x2), Healing Strike, Avenging Flame, Armor of Faith, Channel Divinity (Divine Fortune/Turn Undead), Warforged Resolve
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Jax has half a mind to turn away from the dragons and keep on running. After all, he signed up to retrieve a stick, not to get acid spit all over him! Still, Ingot did somehow take the sting off of Jax's wounds, and the dragon is now within dagger-range from the ground. Better yet, the remaining acid on Jax's scales has mostly neutralized. Maybe there is still a chance to win this thing.

The rogue reloads his crossbow and, wincing with each step, emerges from his hiding spot. He takes aim at the closest Green's face and fires once more. When Jax sees that his bolt has flown true, he throws up his arms and cheers! "Bullseye! Everyone, get in your cheap shots now!"

ooc: The dragon should be blinded from this attack, so it grants combat advantage for one turn.

[sblock=Actions]Take 5 damage from ongoing poison.

Minor: Reload crossbow.
Move: Walk to L17.
Standard: Blinding Barrage (1d20+7=20, 2d6+5=12) on Green 1. Hits for 12 damage and the dragon is blinded until the end of my next turn. Hooray!

Saving throw (1d20=14), poison (and non-aftereffect slowed) ends.
Saving Throw (1d20=11), aftereffect of slowed ends as well!

I must have got Ingot's hot dice. I wish I didn't have to load the crossbow as a minor action or I'd try to press my luck with an action pointed attack.[/sblock]
[sblock=Jax stat block]Jax- Male Kobold Rogue 1
Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 10
AC:17, Fort:11, Reflex:17, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:14/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:5/7
Initiative +5
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers
Shifty
Piercing Strike
Sly Flourish
Positioning Strike
Blinding Barrage