• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Vulture-like race

phindar

First Post
I'm wondering if there are any Vulture-like humanoids in D&D, similar to the Harrids of AE.

Something like this:
skeksis2.jpg

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
No direct Skeksis conversion that I know about, but there were the nagpas, cursed spellcasters with vulture heads. They were from Mystara in earlier editions of D&D, and had a 3.5 conversion in Dragon 339.

Demiurge out.

countgray

First Post
Vulchlings

There were the Vulchlings, a vulture-like bird race. You can find them in the original Monster Manual II (1e). Also, I believe they are done up for 3e in the Tome of Horrors.

And then of course, there are Vrocks, which are kind of vulturesque.

SteelDraco

First Post
You know, I always assumed the nagpas WERE a direct translation of the critters from Dark Crystal, with the serial numbers filed off. I always played them as such.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Nagpas were originally in one of the Creature Catalogues - Top Ballista, I think, for aerial races.

I think the Harrids are already pretty Skeksis-like what with their magic draining (read: pod-person essence) ability. Skek-tek the Scientist there looks like he's been enhanced with a bit of Chaositech from another Montebook too...

Huw

First Post
Dr Simon said:
Nagpas were originally in one of the Creature Catalogues - Top Ballista, I think, for aerial races.

X4 - Master of the Desert Nomads, IIRC. That came out in 1983, a year after The Dark Crystal. They've appeared in Creature Catalogue and the 2e Mystara stuff.

Draxo

First Post
Converting anything without some kind of super special ability like DR or whatnot is fairly easy.

For a Vulture like race i would just take elves. Keep their stat modifiers but remove all else.
Give them favored class: whatever fits your idea of your vulture-folk race.
Give them a +10 to Jump checks from wings
At 6HD give them flight speed/manouverability

And off topic a bit: 2nd Edition Vrocks were the best!

phindar

First Post
Actually, when I statted them out as Nekharu for my Wargods of Aegyptus crossover, I gave them a +2 Int, -2 Str and darkvision. But the effect was much the same.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads