• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ability check DC based on level

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Then he would have to break down why he disagreed, have a long drawn out conversation about why “Shrodinger’s x” is a complete misunderstanding of the concept of subjective DCs, how keyword Fire effects can actually ignite materials, maybe get into a Dissociative Mechanics conversation, the nature of RPGs, what it means to actually “be D&D”, are HPs meat, Damage on a Miss/what is a to-hit roll, are Skill Challenges just an exercise in fiction-disconnected dice rolling, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (I was thinking about copy/pasting this for an hour).
Yes, but does the ability check for a Warlord to shout an arm on increase by the level of the shouting PC, or by the level of the severed arm? :)

Yes, but does the ability check for a Warlord to shout an arm on increase by the level of the shouting PC, or by the level of the severed arm? :)

Its the subjective DC of the dissociated meat on a miss multiplied by the square root of the WHY CAN'T MY FIGHTER JUST DO BURPEES OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITH ATHLETICS CHECKS TO GET 6 SUCCESSES SO THE KING IS UBER IMPRESSED BY THE CROSS-FIT MADNESS SO GIVES ME HIS KINGDOM (AND QUEEN GIGGETY) AND WIN THE SKILL CHALLENGE BRUH?!

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Its the subjective DC of the dissociated meat on a miss multiplied by the square root of the WHY CAN'T MY FIGHTER JUST DO BURPEES OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITH ATHLETICS CHECKS TO GET 6 SUCCESSES SO THE KING IS UBER IMPRESSED BY THE CROSS-FIT MADNESS SO GIVES ME HIS KINGDOM (AND QUEEN GIGGETY) AND WIN THE SKILL CHALLENGE BRUH?!
This is too metagame for me, and now I feel disassociated.

This is too metagame for me, and now I feel disassociated.

Look. It says right there, TARGET CREATURES. You're not a CREATURE, you're a TwoSix...which is a NUMBER. So you CAN'T BE TARGETED and YOU CAN'T BE DISASSOCIATED.

I feel like we've had this conversation 5,463 times.

AND STOP TAKING SO LONG BETWEEN TURNS OR I'M GOING TO TURN ON THE EGGSHELL TIMER OK.

Honestly it skews it quite a bit. Between my 9th level players bard and cleric giving bonuses, and various ways to get advantage, I see DC 30s made pretty often at my table. For me it’s DC 35 that’s the real “nearly impossible”

DC 35 as impossible is still only a 15 on a roll of 1 (+14).
I don't feel that making DC 30 checks is problem.
I rather think that many checks should just be easy. Or medium with more severe consequences if you fail by 5 or more.

I don't think it is a lot of fun to see characters fail more often than succeed.
Especially if they put some resources into it.
On your level 9 bard and cleric and advantage situation: bardic dice are quite swingy. While you do make some incredible checks, there often are low checks in between. Increasing DCs just because of a bard in the group does nor reward the group for having a bard, but rather punish them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads