• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

About the War Cleric......

DonT

First Post
Removing heavy armor and martial weapons proficiency from tempest clerics would change it from my favorite subclass to one I would never play, and I'd probably play a lot less in general.

CapnZapp

Legend
Again, the biggest problem with the War Priest's bonus attack is that is vastly overshadowed by a common class spell, Spiritual Weapon.
Again, the biggest problem with the War Priest's bonus attack is that it requires the Attack action, which is vastly overshadowed by the Cast Spell action. Thank you for providing one example of a spell you cast using this action.

Bardbarian

First Post
one problem as it stands is that the War Domain is a very good 1 or 2 level dip for great weapon fighting builds. As many have said the multiclass issues are the biggest issue of this class. I might suggest adding the feature at the level 6 channel divinity upgrade that the initial bonus action attack becomes Extra attack. freeing up the bonus action.

CTurbo

Explorer
Again, the biggest problem with the War Priest's bonus attack is that it requires the Attack action, which is vastly overshadowed by the Cast Spell action. Thank you for providing one example of a spell you cast using this action.

Huh? Spiritual Weapon is a bonus action spell that can be used for pretty much an entire encounter. Can scale up and doesn't even require concentration, so unless you're a War Cleric with a higher Str than Wis, and you're using a magic Greatsword or similar, You'll be better off using Spiritual Weapon with your bonus action than War Priest's bonus attack even if you take the attack action on that turn.

I like the suggestion of making the extra attack not require a bonus action, but leaving the limited usage. That means you can use it alongside spiritual weapon for some extra oomph a few times per day. I'm not sure that is enough, but it is a single very simple change, and I favor simple house rules. Beyond that, I think War domain is designed more as a support leader than a primary melee combatant. You make others better warriors, rather than being all that great yourself. I'm not sure I *like* that, but it does seem to be how the channel divinity works.

Bardbarian

First Post
If the War Priest feature was unlimited I could see your point, but getting to make a bonus action strike maybe twice per day?

They key to this dip is that with GWM you will have bonus action attacks often enough that this is used only on rounds when you do not otherwise qualify. if you are already planning to multiclass a 1 or 2 level dip can mean a more consistent use of your bonus action and turn misses into guaranteed hits every short rest. With the benefits of wisdom to perception and saving throws wisdom is a solid tertiary stat for this type of character. In addition the first level domain spell Divine Favor is a decent use of concentration and healing word adds battlefield medic ability.

Remove ads