• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AC-based Defender Builds

KonfusedKarae

First Post
Hi All! :)

As I see it from reading the PHB, there's a couple of ways to get high AC Defender builds at low level (and without any magic items), which are as follows:

1) xxx Fighter
1st Level Feat - Plate

By using a 1st level feat on Plate, coupled with the Heavy Shield Proficiency which Fighters get, you can get an AC of 20!

2) Halfling Fighter
18 on Dex, before Racial mod
Hide Armor & Heavy Shield
1st Level Feat - Lost in the Crowd
2nd Level Feat - Defensive Mobility.

As I see it (and I'm hoping you'll all shout out if I've got something wrong!), this might be THE best package at low level, without any of those pesky Magic Items.

Base AC = 20
When adjacent to 2 Larger creatures, AC = 22
When taking attacks of opportunity, AC = 22 (24 at 2nd level)
When adjacent AND taking AoO, AC = 24 (26 at 2nd level)

Can anyone think of any different builds, or anything I've overlooked? I'd been toying with the idea of a Githzerai from the back of the MM, but as they're not fleshed out yet, I'm still unsure about this (Had thought of using Build 1, with their racial ability to add +2 to all defenses..)

Scarface6174

First Post
You could also use a high Int build instead of high Reflex if you wanted to. I think that Eladrin get a boost to Int right? Then you have a defender with a 20 AC that can teleport......

FadedC

First Post
Hmm....the 18 dex halfling fighter might be a bit harder to hit under certain circumstances, but considering his attacks max out at d6+3 there wouldn't be much incentive for his enemies to actually attack him.

If you want a halfling defender, paladin tends to make a far better choice.

Hedgemage

First Post
How would a fighter's damage output affect anything? All his powers would work the same.
And how would a paladin be better? What's the reasoning?

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
Halfling Paladin Starts at AC 20 without even trying. Grab decent Wisdom and Con, and use some combination of Lost in the Crowd, Halfling Agility, Toughness, Durable, Initiate of the Faith, or Raven Queen's Blessing, and you have a self sufficient Halfling tank. Bolstering Strike and Enfeebling Strike also add to resilience. Fearsome Smite, Sacred Circle, and Righteous Smite will nicely round out those defensive abilities and add some temporary hit points for staying power.

FadedC

First Post
How would a fighter's damage output affect anything? All his powers would work the same.
And how would a paladin be better? What's the reasoning?

The way a fighter defends is by attacking people who don't attack him. If those attacks are feeble, there is no incentive to attack the fighter.

Paladins has the option of using charisma to attack and get attacks that are not tied to weapon damage. It should be obvious why both of those favor a a race with high charisma and low weapon damage.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Can anyone think of any different builds, or anything I've overlooked? I'd been toying with the idea of a Githzerai from the back of the MM, but as they're not fleshed out yet, I'm still unsure about this (Had thought of using Build 1, with their racial ability to add +2 to all defenses..)
Have you thought of Swordmage?

Base 10 +3 AC if a hand free (+1 if a hand not free, so don't do that), +3 (wear Hide from feat), +5 Int (improves AC and attack rolls)
Currently, you are looking at 21 AC. If a 20 in Int is too high, 18 is acceptable leaving a 20 in AC.

KonfusedKarae

First Post
*blinks*

Swordmage?

I don't think I've seen that.. and if it's a fan-based class, I dunno if my GM will be allowing it or not..

So.. it looks like I need to sit down and work out the differences between a Halfling Paladin, and a Halfling Fighter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads