• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action Points

The_Universe

First Post
So, I've been thinking a little bit about Action Points, and about what they can and should be able to do. At current, D20 Modern has this to say about Action Points:

ACTION POINTS

Action points provide characters with the means to affect game play in significant ways. A character always has a limited amount of action points, and while the character replenishes this supply with every new level he or she attains, the character must use them wisely. A character can spend 1 action point to do one of these things:

• Alter a single d20 roll used to make an attack, a skill check, an ability check, a level check, or a saving throw.
  • Use a class talent or class feature during your turn for which the expenditure of 1 action point is required.

When a character spends 1 action point to improve a d20 roll, add 1d6 to the d20 roll to help meet or exceed the target number. A character can declare the use of 1 action point to alter a d20 roll after the roll is made—but only before the GM reveals the result of that roll (whether the attack or check or saving throw suc­ceeded or failed). A character can’t use an action point on a skill check or ability check when he or she is taking 10 or taking 20.

When a character spends 1 action point to use a class feature, he or she gains the benefit of the feature but doesn’t roll a d6. In this case, the action point is not a bonus to a d20 roll.

A character can only spend 1 action point in a round. If a character spends a point to use a class feature, he or she can’t spend another one in the same round to improve a die roll, and vice versa.

Depending on the hero’s character level (see the table below), he or she may be able to roll more than one d6 when spending 1 action point. If the character does so, apply the highest result and disregard the other rolls.

Character Level

Action Point Dice Rolled

1st–7th

1d6

8th–14th

2d6

15th–20th

3d6

The_Universe

First Post
Now, at it's core, in order to make this work a little better, people need to be faster on the draw (so to speak) when declaring if you're going to spend action points. So, if the roll looks bad, just shout out "rolling an action point!" or something ASAP. My interest and responsibility is (to at least some degree) to keep the game moving, and giving everyone an "action point cushion" of time is only going to slow combat down even further. So - stay on the ball, and declare that action point (or not) without expecting a pause or hint from me.

The_Universe

First Post
Proposed Additional Uses for Action Points:

Dodge: A character may choose to spend an action point to avoid being hit in combat. At the top of the initiative order for the round (before anyone has acted), the character may declare the use of an action point to dodge oncoming fire and/or attacks. The action point is then rolled and the total is added to the character's Defense as a dodge bonus for the entirety of the round. All benefits and limitations of dodge bonus to Defense apply to this bonus, as well.

Example: Frieda the Fast Hero has a Defense of 16. Surrounded and out of ammunition, she hopes to make a break for the door to the warehouse in which she's holed up. Expecting enemy fire, she declares that she'll spend an action point to Dodge. She rolls a 4, bringing her Defense for the entire round to a total of 20.

Reserve: A character may choose to spend an action point to reveal a heroic reserve of personal strength (and hit points). Any conscious character capable of action can declare this kind of expenditure on his or her turn. After spending the Action Point, the character may add the total to her current health point total as temporary hit points. A character may not have temportary hit points in excess of their current maximum total. These temporary hit points disappear 1 minute after they appeared.

Example: Frieda took a shot the arm as she darted out onto the wharf from her hiding spot. Feeling herself nearing unconsciousness, she spends an action point to reveal a reserve of personal strength. She rolls a 2, raising her current hit point total by that number.

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
No comments/opinions/suggestions on this stuff?
Looks good/fine/great.

Are you throwing out the cards completely? Could we spend an action point at the begining of play and get a card instead (not that I see too many people doing this)?

The only way to get more action points is by advancing in level correct?

AIM-54

First Post
I like the RAW stuff fine. I'm a little leery about the additional stuff, though that has more to do with my own preferences than any unbalancing characteristics as they seem to exist currently.

I'm inclined to keep it strictly to RAW also to prevent any problems down the line with people trying to weasel more out of it than indicated in the descriptions.

My thoughts for better or worse.

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
Looks good/fine/great.

Are you throwing out the cards completely? Could we spend an action point at the begining of play and get a card instead (not that I see too many people doing this)?

The only way to get more action points is by advancing in level correct?
My thought was to throw out the cards completely, yes, but I'd be willing to entertain the idea of allowing you to spend a point to get a card at the beginning of the session. What do others think? I'd consider it.

I don't have particularly strong feelings one way or the other about adding additional uses to Action Points, but I thought I'd gauge the interest therein.

And yes - you only get more action points by increasing in level.

The_Universe

First Post
AIM-54 said:
I like the RAW stuff fine. I'm a little leery about the additional stuff, though that has more to do with my own preferences than any unbalancing characteristics as they seem to exist currently.

I'm inclined to keep it strictly to RAW also to prevent any problems down the line with people trying to weasel more out of it than indicated in the descriptions.

My thoughts for better or worse.
I think that's valid - we've certainly had action point "bloat" in the past. I had considered an additional use that let you spend an action point to stabilize, as well as one to get an extra action during the round, but had decided that this is as far as I wanted to go (if I go here, at all) to increase the action point options. If I were to drop just one, I'd keep Dodge (just adding to an attack roll in reverse) and ditch Reserve (which is a little cheesy, admittedly).

Thanks for the comments - unless I get a "we really need to add these options!" I'll probably just leave action points as they are in the RAW...but I still kind of like Dodge. ;)

The_Universe said:
I don't have particularly strong feelings one way or the other about adding additional uses to Action Points, but I thought I'd gauge the interest therein.

I don't have a problem with additional uses, but I think that JC makes an important point. We should probably solidify the specific uses for action points so that they aren't abused later on (I know that I was keen to ask, "Can I use an action point for (this)?!" far too much).

So far as additional uses goes - I would propose the ability to spend an action point to increase one's land speed by 10 or 20 feet for a single round.

Would allow you to run to the rescue if need be. Might be a silly idea, though. *shrug*

Remove ads