• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action Points

cuteasaurus

First Post
While I don't anticipate any problem if we were to adopt these rules "now," I am concerned for how they'd play out at higher levels (as we can add more than 1d6). A 3d6 bonus to Defense? That seems like a lot...

cuteasaurus said:
While I don't anticipate any problem if we were to adopt these rules "now," I am concerned for how they'd play out at higher levels (as we can add more than 1d6). A 3d6 bonus to Defense? That seems like a lot...
Your Defense Bonus also increases by level... as does your (and your opponent's) attack bonus. So - in theory - it would balance out.

The_Universe

First Post
Actually, the way action points work is apparently not quite clear. Even if you're rolling 3d6, you still only apply the highest single roll from the 3 dice to your dice roll (or defense bonus, in this case). No matter what your level, the minimum bonus for an action point is 1, and the maximum is 6 - you're just more likely to get higher numbers at higher levels because you can pick the best die roll. :)

The relevent text is here:

D20 Modern SRD said:
Depending on the hero’s character level (see the table below), he or she may be able to roll more than one d6 when spending 1 action point. If the character does so, apply the highest result and disregard the other rolls.

:)

cuteasaurus

First Post
I understand defense bonus increases by level and that AP impact is temp. However, I don't think that this use of AP is "balanced." A temp HP increase won't totally sway the game, since even at high level, one shot would still take you out again. However, an increase to defense is actually quite a lot and could make you untouchable for a round. And, since you could "hoard" AP, you could essentially make yourself untouchable for an entire fight with a "boss." In the end, I just think the defense use adds more complications than it's worth. But, that's just my $0.02

cuteasaurus said:
I understand defense bonus increases by level and that AP impact is temp. However, I don't think that this use of AP is "balanced." A temp HP increase won't totally sway the game, since even at high level, one shot would still take you out again. However, an increase to defense is actually quite a lot and could make you untouchable for a round. And, since you could "hoard" AP, you could essentially make yourself untouchable for an entire fight with a "boss." In the end, I just think the defense use adds more complications than it's worth. But, that's just my $0.02
All the NPCs have APs, too. So - in that sense, I think it still remains balanced. You could *both* stash your APs from here to forever... and eventually, one of you is going to run out. Then comes the MURDER! Haha! :D

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
All the NPCs have APs, too. So - in that sense, I think it still remains balanced. You could *both* stash your APs from here to forever... and eventually, one of you is going to run out. Then comes the MURDER! Haha! :D

Holy prolonged fights, Batman! :eek:

Remove ads