• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action Stuff

The_Universe

First Post
So, as we all know, Action Points were either too powerful in their heyday, or not powerful enough (as they tend to be, now).

Despite the fact that a few of you seem to have a couple left, I'm considering replacing them with the attached "Action Cards."

Rather than keeping a running total of action points, at the beginning of every session, PCs could draw one Action Card at random, to be used as instructed on the card throughout the day or evening's adventuring. At the end of the session, the cards are turned back in.

As with action points, the bad guys will have them, too.

They are, in many ways, a little more powerful than action points, but I think they also provide more story potential, and limiting them to 1 per person can be a balancing factor.

If you do something particularly interesting without using an action card, or come up with a good plan, etc. I could use additional action cards as rewards for quick or clever thinking.

Look them over. Let me know what you think, and/or if you have any questions.

Attachments

• Action Cards!.doc
    93.5 KB · Views: 113

Xath

Moder-gator
Time does not matter, only life

Play: When you die
Effect: You can, as your last action, give something incredibly important to another party member before you die, even if it would otherwise be impossible.

So...if your character were pregnant and were to die...could she impregnate another NPC? Even a male one? The wording on this seems a might bit ambiguous...

Xath

Moder-gator
Love, Love, Love...

Play: After an enemy has died or become disabled
Effect: Instead of dying the enemy repents and becomes an ally.

The Bluestar died. We could get him to repent!

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
So...if your character were pregnant and were to die...could she impregnate another NPC? Even a male one? The wording on this seems a might bit ambiguous...
All of the cards are still subject to DM's discretion, and only limited bending of the laws of reality will be allowed.

Xath

Moder-gator
They were certainly entertaining. I don't think a card was used that didn't get a group laugh. And using your discretion kept them from being unbalanced. I say, at least keep them for next time.

They were alright, but definately silly... okay for light hearted adventuring, but I did not really like them in a serious, almost-the-end-of-the-campaign fight. They ended up more cartoony than they did heroic.

In some ways, I really liked what they did because they made the game somewhat more easy-going, but they didn't really mesh with the general serious style of KoA on the battlefield... definately something that would run more smoothly if instituted at the beginning of a campaign...

Xath

Moder-gator
I just thought it was a nice change. Sometimes we take the drama of the game too seriously OOC as well as taking it IC. It was just nice to have something to lighten the mood. But I'm not particularly attached to them in KoA in any way. I would like to see them in other stuff we play.

Remove ads