• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

add 1/2 level to ability checks? What? Why?

Thasmodious

First Post
katahn said:
Not even Chuck Norris is going to deadlift and then drop-kick a APC.

I agree with your point in general, but come on, not even Chuck Norris? This is the man who was beaten to near death and buried alive in his truck and then woke up and drove his truck through the earth, the Earth to emerge from the ground and kill everybody. This is the man who doesn't have a chin behind his beard, only another fist. I think he can handle your APC. :D

Hey, that would be a better answer than 10 pages of long posts to these ridiculous corner cases.

Should a wizard be able to lift a super portcullis merely because he has gained levels?

Chuck Norris could.

Shouldn't items have hardness?

Only Chuck Norris has hardness.

Mallus said:
Why do you assume that the halfling wizard's +15 level-based modifier doesn't reflect some form of magic power?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think Mallus was disagreeing with you about deadlifting 8000 lbs, only about the source of the +1/2 lvl bonus. It is a neat way of looking at it, that the bonus is not so much experience, but a character tapping further into the cosmic source of his power (arcane, divine, martial, etc) as he grows in heroic (or diabolic) stature.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hi ...

Sidestepping the arguments about moving to Canada, and what-not, there seems to be a disconnect between:

PvP (moreso PvM) where level is an effective measure of the relative abilities of opposing actors, and,

PvE, where the environment presents challenges which are fixed.

Here "P" is Player, "M" is monster, and "E" is environment.

Since there is no real "PvP', the key conflicts are "PvM" and "PvE".

The skills are tuned to make PvM work, and to make PvE work in cases where the player is trained and truly improving in a particular ability.

The skills fail utterly in PvE cases where the player does not improve in a particular ability (or does not improve in a significant amount). A player only gets a little better at everything, but a lot better at only a few things.

I personally find this an issue in that PvE immersion suffers. That is important to me because PvE immersion (which to me is a big part of the "role" in role playing) is an important part my games.

I'd like to side-step the issue of simulationism: My goal is not to simulate the player / environment interaction. My goal is to produce results via simple rules that produce results that maintain my sense of immersion.

Long pause ...

I don't see any quick fixes ... since PvM checks add the 1/2 level bonus to both attacks and into defenses (e.g. Str vs Fort). That ripples all throughout the system of opposing checks. The best that I can think of is to completely remove the 1/2 level bonus for _everything_ (including attacks) and to grant bonuses only for feats and class features. (Which actually, IMO, sounds very interesting. And, since the 1/2 level bonus is applied all over, it is pretty easy to take out. And, since both players and monsters gain extra hit points as they gain levels, that already has an effect of making higher level players or monsters more durable.)

Mallus

Legend
Thasmodious said:
I could be mistaken, but I don't think Mallus was disagreeing with you about deadlifting 8000 lbs, only about the source of the +1/2 lvl bonus.
Right. If the task is impossible, then there's no need for an ability check in the first place. If a DM allows the roll, that implies the check has meaning.

It is a neat way of looking at it, that the bonus is not so much experience, but a character tapping further into the cosmic source of his power (arcane, divine, martial, etc) as he grows in heroic (or diabolic) stature.
That's exactly what I meant.

Mallus

Legend
katahn said:
Specifically I said if opening a portcullus requires deadlifting 8,000lbs...
Then aren't you really saying that this isn't the proper place for an ability check in the first place?

Last edited:

Jack Colby

First Post
Why is this an issue? The DM needs to know when to call for an ability check and when to flat-out not allow certain characters to do certain things. I seem to remember reading this mentioned in the books, too.

katahn

First Post
Mallus said:
Then aren't you really saying that this isn't the proper place for an ability check in the first place?

Exactly right. Others after me in this thread made that point so I didn't feel a specific need to add to what they wrote.

Ability checks are only applicable where there is a reasonable chance for the character to do the thing they are checking for. If they cannot reasonably do the thing they are checking for, then don't roll a check and then say the game system is broken because it doesn't tell you otherwise.

"4e doesn't say it is impossible for my halfling wizard at level 30 to deadlift 8,000lbs therefore 4e is broken!" is the gamer equivilent of suing McDonalds because the fresh cup of coffee you just bought and spilled in your lap was really hot.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hi ...

Sidestepping the arguments about moving to Canada, and what-not, there seems to be a disconnect between:

PvP (moreso PvM) where level is an effective measure of the relative abilities of opposing actors, and,

PvE, where the environment presents challenges which are fixed.

Here "P" is Player, "M" is monster, and "E" is environment.

Since there is no real "PvP', the key conflicts are "PvM" and "PvE".

The skills are tuned to make PvM work, and to make PvE work in cases where the player is trained and truly improving in a particular ability.

The skills fail utterly in PvE cases where the player does not improve in a particular ability (or does not improve in a significant amount). This is working from a game view where a player that increases in level gets a little better at everything, and a lot better at only a few things.

I personally find this an issue in that PvE immersion suffers. That is important to me because PvE immersion (which to me is a big part of the "role" in role playing) is an important part my games.

I'd like to side-step the issue of simulationism: My goal is not to simulate the player / environment interaction. My goal is to produce results via simple rules such that the results maintain my sense of immersion.

Long pause ...

I don't see any quick fixes ... since PvM checks add the 1/2 level bonus to both attacks and into defenses (e.g. Str vs Fort). That ripples all throughout the system of opposing checks. The best that I can think of is to completely remove the 1/2 level bonus for _everything_ (including attacks) and to grant bonuses only for feats and class features. (Which actually, IMO, sounds very interesting. And, since the 1/2 level bonus is applied all over, it is pretty easy to take out. And, since both players and monsters gain extra hit points as they gain levels, that already has an effect of making higher level players or monsters more durable.)

Last edited:

JohnSnow

Hero
tomBitonti said:
The skills fail utterly in PvE cases where the player does not improve in a particular ability (or does not improve in a significant amount). A player only gets a little better at everything, but a lot better at only a few things.

I'd like to side-step the issue of simulationism: My goal is not to simulate the player / environment interaction. My goal is to produce results via simple rules that produce results that maintain my sense of immersion.

I think some people (like yourself) have a problem with one of the key conceits of Fourth Edition, and that's this:

"Adventurers gain experience at all adventuring skills by virture of adventuring."

To some of us, (like myself) this conceit is not problematic. "Sure," we reason, "it's reasonable to assume that the act of adventuring produces people who are broadly competent. That's just the nature of adventuring."

Moreover, it's consistent with the heroic examples from cinema and heroic fiction (and even some real people), like Indiana Jones, MacGuyver, James Bond, Robin Hood, Conan, and so forth. Take the example of Indiana Jones, and recognize that Indy is probably heroic tier, or maybe paragon.

Indy is frequently forced to fly planes - a skill he's NOT trained in. But, as a hero, Indy thinks (and says) "How hard could it be?" In Temple of Doom, he seems to be doing "okay" but, naturally, they're out of fuel. In Last Crusade, his dad says "I didn't know you could fly a plane." Indy responds, as he takes control of a plane, "Fly, yes. Land, no!" and proceeds to do okay (not well, but okay) in an air-to-air combat against a superior aircraft. Yes, it's not a smooth landing, but he and his dad land and walk away.

Similarly, Han Solo is no R2-D2 when it comes to hacking security systems, but he can still TRY.

Adventurers adventure. It's what they do. If you can accept that "adventuring" requires the "skill set" represented by the combat abilities and skills listed in the PHB, then "adventurers" who are worth their salt are going to end up being tolerably proficient at all those things.

Confine your concerns to heroic tier for a moment. At that level, the trained character has a benefit of +5 over his untrained counterpart (not counting attributes). A focused expert has a +8 benefit. Years of experience can give that character, or any other, a further +5.

That means that (again, attributes aside) the fighter who's been adventuring for years (10th-level) will be as good at picking locks as the novice trained rogue. By 16th-level, something that we can absolutely call "beyond normal human achievement," that fighter is as good as the novice rogue lockpick expert, who's taken skill training and skill focus (+8 for both).

Adventurers tend, by their very nature, to be "jacks of all trades." You can confirm this by doing research into some real-world adventurers, like Francis Drake, Walter Raleigh, Lord Byron, T.E. Lawrence, and others. Assuming that the characters take a reasonable amount of time to level up, their abilities in this direction are quite realistic - up to the mid paragon tier. Beyond that point, the PCs can hardly be held to "realistic" standards, because, by that level, their abilities in general just aren't "realistic."

The pace at which characters "level up" (in game world terms) may break the system's "realism," but that's a fault of fast levelling, and the supremely unrealistic concept of constantly adventuring, rather than the conceits of the system.

My two cents.

Storm-Bringer

First Post
JohnSnow said:
Indy is frequently forced to fly planes - a skill he's NOT trained in. But, as a hero, Indy thinks (and says) "How hard could it be?" In Temple of Doom, he seems to be doing "okay" but, naturally, they're out of fuel. In Last Crusade, his dad says "I didn't know you could fly a plane." Indy responds, as he takes control of a plane, "Fly, yes. Land, no!" and proceeds to do okay (not well, but okay) in an air-to-air combat against a superior aircraft. Yes, it's not a smooth landing, but he and his dad land and walk away.
Frequently? 'Twice' is frequently?

Similarly, Han Solo is no R2-D2 when it comes to hacking security systems, but he can still TRY.
And fail. To the point of making things worse.

silentounce

First Post
katahn said:
suing McDonalds because the fresh cup of coffee you just bought and spilled in your lap was really hot.

You should look up the facts of that case. It's not as trivial as you and the rest of the internet make it out to be. I'm not trying to start an argument with you, I used to think the same thing. I just dislike misinformation.

Anyway, many of you have mentioned that ability checks should be ruled out when there's a "impossible" task, and then that will get rid of this problem. Well, that kind of thing is easy to adjudicate in the 8000lbs scenario you are offering because there are direct rules in the book when it comes to strength and what a person can lift. It's easy to tell a PC no when you can flat out point to a black and white answer. But what about things tied to other ability scores? Then it becomes a judgment call. I have no problem with making judgment calls as a DM, but if a player happens to disagree with you, that can upset them and ruin some of their fun.

It appears that the people in this thread are firmly set in their camps anyway. I'm not sure that anyone is going to sway anyone else. To some people the fact that PCs can get better at EVERYTHING no matter what they spend their time doing is irksome. Others are perfectly fine with that. I'm not sure there is a quick fix for the first group other than DM fiat, and then, as I said, that can run into disagreements with players.

Remove ads