• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adjacent Damage

eleventh

First Post
Let's say I attack with "Flaming Sphere" and hit. My damage for the actual attack is 2d6 + intelligence modifier (3). However, I also get to add my magic wand's enhancement bonus (2). The damage becomes 2d6+5. My question is about the damage adjacent enemies take from the sphere on their turns. The damage is listed exactly as before: 1d4 + intelligence modifier (3). Do I get to add my wand's enhancement bonus to this, making it 1d4+5? Or, because no attack is involved, do I forgo that bonus and stick with 1d4+3? Thanks.

Rafe

First Post
Let's say I attack with "Flaming Sphere" and hit. My damage for the actual attack is 2d6 + intelligence modifier (3). However, I also get to add my magic wand's enhancement bonus (2). The damage becomes 2d6+5. My question is about the damage adjacent enemies take from the sphere on their turns. The damage is listed exactly as before: 1d4 + intelligence modifier (3). Do I get to add my wand's enhancement bonus to this, making it 1d4+5? Or, because no attack is involved, do I forgo that bonus and stick with 1d4+3? Thanks.

My understanding is that it applies because it's a roll. Enhancement bonuses apply to "Attack and damage rolls." If it was "Wisdom modifier fire damage," then no, it wouldn't because it isn't a roll. If you roll, yes. No roll, no.

I may be wrong and would be happy to be corrected if I am.

HenryBlatbugIII

First Post
Rafe is right. The bonus applies to any roll, but not to static damage. See the Player's Handbook, page 57, second-to-last paragraph.
Player's Handbook said:
Some powers add modifiers to attack rolls or damage rolls. These modifiers apply to any roll of the dice, but not to ongoing damage or other static nonvariable effects.

eleventh

First Post
I see. The key words in there are "static" and "invariable". Because the adjacent damage is still rolled, it is variable and therefore the enhancement bonus applies. Thanks again.

Remove ads