• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adjudicating Torture

buzzard

First Post
bret said:
Torture is not a reliable means of getting information. People usually tell the torturer whatever they think the person wants to hear, in an attempt to stop the pain. This isn't the same as giving good information.

Ahh but in a world of truth magic, torture takes on a whole new dimension. Anything but the truth will result in more torture.

As for issues of rescue, this is a fairly large party with both a 13th level mage and a 14th level cleric. If they get to him, either a heal (and maybe restoration) or a teleport solves the problem of moving him. Those concerns are certainly valid, but not for a party with these resources.

I have certainly found all the suggestions helpful. I just have to pick and choose.

Buzzard

poop

First Post
Alignments

If the interrogator is of an alignment that has at least one directly opposite trait to that of the PC, and the PC can figure this out through the interrogator's method's, etc., I think it should effect the break time and the truth of the information the PC might eventually tell.

Gromm

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

...unless they make a faily easy Will save.

Thats why you cast mind fog on em, dope em up with Insanity Mist or striped toadstool and go to work. It might take a ton of doses but you'll get em eventually (running the numbers give em 20 doses of Toadstool and they miss one save per 20 doses and the same for the secondary damage). If they go to 0 Wisdom, you've got a cleric right there to lesser restoration them back to 1d4 points Wis or Int so they can answer your questions.

Or an even better way would be to bestow a curse to always tell the truth or something similar. At least then you'd know that your information you got was the truth.

hong

WotC's bitch
buzzard said:

Ahh but in a world of truth magic, torture takes on a whole new dimension. Anything but the truth will result in more torture.

Actually, a world with truth magic pretty much makes torture superfluous, except for aesthetic reasons. :)

(This is why I think having stuff like divination, detect lies, zone of truth et al are better than the alternative. Sure, the heroes may find out more stuff than you'd like, but it's better than giving them an incentive to haul out the rack and branding irons.)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Gromm said:

Thats why you cast mind fog on em, dope em up with Insanity Mist or striped toadstool and go to work. It might take a ton of doses but you'll get em eventually (running the numbers give em 20 doses of Toadstool and they miss one save per 20 doses and the same for the secondary damage). If they go to 0 Wisdom, you've got a cleric right there to lesser restoration them back to 1d4 points Wis or Int so they can answer your questions.

So... 3,600 gp for each batch of 20 toadstool? After 30-60 total doses they'll drop to 1-4, for only 5-10k+? I suppose that'll drop their save by about 5 points...

Black Omega

First Post
shilsen said:

I know that's what the abstract solution is for. But it's hard to give up on the fun of describing to the PC in loving detail exactly what happens to his PC, until he blabs everything just to make you stop describing it DMs deserve some fun too!
Took the words right out of my mouth.:)

simonski

First Post
Nellisir said:
I don't favor forcing the PCs to confess or reveal their secrets. I'd suggest having torture deal subdual damage (to keep track of when the PC passes out), and make a Fort save daily (or however often each "session" is, though not more than one per 24 hours). A successful save inflicts 1 point temporary Con damage, a failed save inflicts 1d4+1 points temporary Con damage. For every 6 points of temp Con damage, 1 point is permanent. That should motivate the players!

Nell.

How about permanent Wisdom damage, that would create nervous characters that live in their own small world after being exposed to long torture and monks etc could endure it better :)

Gromm

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

So... 3,600 gp for each batch of 20 toadstool? After 30-60 total doses they'll drop to 1-4, for only 5-10k+? I suppose that'll drop their save by about 5 points...

Its a moot point really most enemies at that level can cast spells to learn almost anything they want to know.

At lower levels the doses don't need to be as high and the lack of divination spells starts to make it an option.

Hey it was just an idea :)

Al

First Post
hong said:

Actually, a world with truth magic pretty much makes torture superfluous, except for aesthetic reasons. :)

(This is why I think having stuff like divination, detect lies, zone of truth et al are better than the alternative. Sure, the heroes may find out more stuff than you'd like, but it's better than giving them an incentive to haul out the rack and branding irons.)

Not strictly. Truth magic can only determine whether the prisoner is lying, and even then a Will save is allowed to resist the effects. The main use of torture would be getting them to talk in the first place- then you can use the truth magic (and you may torture them into lowering their Will save etc.)

Besides, some evil NPCs also enjoy the process...

Remove ads