• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advanced Player's Guide questions

Don't worry, it's not like most people ever even hear of lahars unless they live in the valleys of the rivers that have heads near volcanoes or unless one's a nature show buff. Since I know where Ari lives, I suspect it's the latter for him.

Yep. Watch Discovery and National Geographic all the time, or rather I did back when I had cable. ;)

Although I think I actually first heard the word on History Channel.

It's amazing how much D&D inspiration you can get from those three channels...

Okay, missed this the first time around.

The only issue I have, is the Quick-strike. I see how it gives some added versatility to have it be an additional roll. However, I prefer a keep it simple approach, and was wondering if you think it would unbalance the class to just add the damage, much like the ranger does. My gut says no, but I would like to get some feedback on it :)

I don't think it'll unbalance anything, as long as you add some sort of minor action (like the warlock's curse or the ranger's quarry) to use it. I think it loses a lot of the class's flavor, but of course, that's just me. ;)

Serpent Bends Aside: Is it supposed to deflect magical attacks as well?

Any melee or ranged attack.

False dead: Is it supposed to be usable in combat? If so, shouldn't it be an immediate reaction?

While there are some battlefield applications, it's not primarily a combat-power. It's not meant to be an immediate reaction, no.

Lightning Fist: Shouldn't it’s secondary attack be against reflex?

Nope. Same as the primary attack--Fortitude--just on different targets.

Gust of wind: Push 6 really sounds like a lot. I get that it's a classic druid thing, but 6 squares?

It's a lot, yep. But since it doesn't actually do any damage, I'm okay with that. :)

Sphere of fire: Why does it give -2 to attack rolls? Ongoing damage seems to be the fire shtick these days. What causes the penalty?

Just part of the spell. Ongoing damage is common for fire attacks, but it's not universal. Think of it as being distracted by the pain, if you'd like. ;)

Heavy fog: Is there some height rule to it, that I have missed?

I probably should have specified/called it out, but it's the same as the other dimensions of the burst--3 squares.

Slashing tree: Why suddenly use cha to attack, all other attacks use wis from what I noticed?

I did that deliberately with all the "tree" spells. Since they can make multiple attacks completely separate from the druid's turn, I didn't want them to be quite as good in terms of "to-hit."

Bramble wall: That is a sweet power, but maybe the 1 hour duration is a bit too much. Do we have examples of other powers with similar durations?

See wall of ice in the PHB.

Entangling terrain: Why only up to 1 minute duration? Sustainable stuff can be sustained for the encounter, normally.

Actually, in the PHB there are quite a few powers that can be sustained for less than the standard 5 minutes. This one felt too powerful to allow for the full 5.

Relentless Attack
Once per round, as an opportunity action, you may make a basic melee attack against an adjacent foe who attacks one of your allies with a melee or ranged attack.

If an enemy makes a ranged attack against anyone, while being adjacent to you, you already get an OA. Do you get another, or is something else?

Okay, this is my fault for not clarifying. You only get one OA against the enemy who provokes via making a ranged attack. But, there are powers that allow you to make your Relentless Attack against someone farther away than adjacent to you, or that grant bonuses to your Relentless Attack roll, and in those cases, it's important to know that ranged attacks also trigger it.

Staggering blow: shouldn't this be a push effect?

No, because it doesn't have to be away from you. You can knock someone to the side, if you want.

Interposing strike: (see above)

Again, nope, because "push" is defined as "away from you," and this is "away from your ally[/i]. "Slide" seemed to make the most sense.

I see what you did, with the powers that crit on a 15+ (might want to mention that it assumes a hit) but it feels a bit too random. Which is a pity, because you really seem to have captured the feel, with many of the other powers.

Defenders often have vaguely controllerish powers, so I figured it was safe to go that route. In general, going this way--defender-leaning-controller, rather than defender-leaning-striker--let me include a lot of powers I thought were pretty cool, that I couldn't have included otherwise.

But hey, you've always got WotC's barbarian. ;)

Soothe the savage beast: No reason why it cant be cha vs will – the bard should be a better “sleeper” than the wizard. Having to use a secondary ability for one or two powers is a tad odd, design wise, at least imo.

It's not without precedent in the PHB, though, and making this "Sleep" be better than the wizard's--especially when the wizard is a controller and the troubadour a leader--just didn't work, balance-wise.

Not really sure about this one. I like the class, but something about it feels underpowered. However, I can't quite decide why, so for now, I will have to wait and see.

It's certainly a narrower class (which is one of the reasons I borrowed a lot of other class's powers for it). But underpowered? Let me know if your experience confirms that.

All in all, a great book, thanks for writing it, Ari.

Ya velcome. ;)

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Thanks for the very thorough explanation. Helps a lot when my players ask the questions that I can quote the author. Saves some arguments back and forth :)

Cheers.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
My own personal money is very limited at the moment (I'm paying off debts, unsurprisingly!) but I'm going to mention this book to my gaming group tonight.

I'm also going to mention the fantastic attitude towards errata, corrections and revisions that has gone on in this thread over the past week. Ari, if the rest of your stuff is going to be this good, you may as well open up some sort of "subscribe to publications by this author" feature on the website.

jgbrowning - the speed of response has me appluading. You're all doing a great job, just wish I could afford the book!

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I want to commend both Ari and jgbrowning for their helpfullness on this thread. I have one more annoying question before I finally cave in and buy the book. What is the difference between the merciless assassin PP in the APG, and the shadow assassain PP in the PHB?

Last edited:

Mouseferatu, one of my players will be running an Elvish Martial Artists in my campaign... and it looks like it will be a ton of fun!

But he had one question that I couldn't answer.

Serpent Bends Aside (Daily, level 1) and Deadly Dodge (Encounter, level 3)...
The only apparent differences are that SBA allows deflection of ranged attacks and DD requires an adjacent enemy to deflect the attack to...?

Was this near duplication intentional?

Zander

Explorer
In response to my question about The Guide's availability in the UK, Joe B. said:
The book is making its way through the distribution chain right now. Books should start hitting FLGS next week.

Well, three days after its UK release, Orcs Nest, central London's only dedicated RPG shop, had sold out. By the end of day 5 after release, there were only two copies left for sale in central London shops - and I snagged one of them. :lol:

My guess is that before the book has been out a week in the UK, there'll be no copies left for sale in central London. That's pretty damn hot!

I haven't had time to peruse the book but a cursory examination explains why: this is a must-have 4E supplement.

Zander
Organiser, London D&D Meetup

Was this near duplication intentional?

They're deliberately similar, yes. Although deadly dodge is a higher level, it's an encounter power, so I wanted it to be similar to, but a little less versatile, than the daily equivalent.

In retrospect, I probably should've made them more distinct, since there's no good reason to take both, now. But it wouldn't be fair of me to call that "errata," per se, since it's not a mistake--just a reconsideration on my part.

The Little Raven

First Post
They're deliberately similar, yes. Although deadly dodge is a higher level, it's an encounter power, so I wanted it to be similar to, but a little less versatile, than the daily equivalent.

In retrospect, I probably should've made them more distinct, since there's no good reason to take both, now. But it wouldn't be fair of me to call that "errata," per se, since it's not a mistake--just a reconsideration on my part.

Learning from what you did not-so-well is the mark of a good designer. I haven't picked up the book yet, but my FLGS is supposed to get in a copy for me tomorrow, so I look forward to seeing it.

Remove ads