• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advancing animals: Does awaken affect CR ?

frankthedm

First Post
Awaken bestows 2 HD along with an average Int [3d6] and a 1d3 charisma bump to an animal.

How would awakening affect CR? A boost on its own, say +1[couting a 3d6 int as = a HD in animals since the normally are brainless beatsticks] , or just 2 more HD towards the +1CR for every 3HD.

Should this be kept seperate from animal's HD as advancement is concerned?[like animal compainion does] Or would awakening an animal move it down the path to lager size based on HD? [Princess Mononoke's animal gods did inspire the spell after all]

DIRE BOAR
Large Animal Hit Dice: 7d8+21 (52 hp) Initiative: +0 Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares) Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +6 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15 Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+17 Attack: Gore +12 melee (1d8+12) Full Attack: Gore +12 melee (1d8+12) Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. Special Attacks: Ferocity Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +8 Abilities: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8 Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8 Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will Environment: Temperate forests Organization: Solitary or herd (5–8) Challenge Rating: 4 Treasure: None Alignment: Always neutral Advancement: 8–16 HD (Large); 17–21 HD (Huge)

Dire boars are omnivorous and spend most of their time rooting around, much as ordinary pigs do. They viciously attack anything that approaches them, however.

Dire boars grow up to 12 feet long and weigh as much as 2,000 pounds.
Combat

A dire boar charges its opponent, trying to rip the target open with its tusks.

Ferocity (Ex): A dire boar is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Table: Improved Monster CR Increase
Creature’s Original Type CR Increase
Aberration, construct, elemental, fey, giant, humanoid, ooze, plant, undead, vermin +1 per 4 HD added
Animal, magical beast, monstrous humanoid +1 per 3 HD added
Dragon, outsider, nonassociated class levels +1 per 2 HD or 2 levels added
Directly associated class levels +1 per level added
Other Modifiers:
Size increased to Large or larger +1 to CR
Monster’s ability scores based on elite array* +1 to CR
Monster possesses special attacks or qualities that significantly improve combat effectiveness +2 to CR
Monster possesses special attacks or qualities that improve combat effectiveness in a minor way +1 to CR
Template added + template CR modifier
* Do not apply this increase if you advance a monster by class levels. (Monsters advanced by class levels are assumed to use the elite array.)

Yes I know CR is more of an Art. I began thinning about this after i statted up some demonicly infused dire boars.

....The priesthood of orcus has taken the shoes from the mount of a fallen hero and placed them on the Beast.

For parties who don't bother with tactics, here is one that could provide a more tactical challenge. Not that smart, but wise enough to hit, take cover, and hit again. Familiarize yourself with the "ready action" before this fight and don't forget it has spell resitance.

Advanced Feindish Boar -Magic beast extraplanar
Hit Dice: 16d8+48 [120] + Ferocity
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. enhanced to 70 FT.(14 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +2 dex, +6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+24
Attack: Gore +19 melee (2d6+12)
Full Attack: Gore +19 melee (2d6+12)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ferocity, Smite good {+16 damage 1/day
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, SR 19, Cold & fire resist 10, DR10 magic
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +10, Will +13
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 3, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +11, Hide +1, Spot +11
Feats: Power attack, Endurance, Iron Will, Dodge, mobility, spring attack.
Environment: Temperate forests
Challenge Rating: 9-ish
Treasure: Horseshoes of zyphyr [3000gp] + scattered treasure and gear from victims = an encounter level 9 treasure
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Advancement: 8–16 HD (Large); 17–21 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

If the previous beast was not enogh to be a threat, here is a beast that should be a deadly fight. it is smart enough to use its feats effectivly. The Cult has equipped it with the magical chain barding of a Huge beast
as well. The have given it bloated, enchanted ticks that act as potions when they are consumed. Add other potions as needed to challenge the party. A beast this ferocious has left great ruin in the woods, one could get rich looting the woods, though the cult has rounded up the enchanted items they can find.

Hogzilla!
Advanced /awakened /fiendish/ Boarbarian1: Magical beast, extraplanar
Hit Dice: 22d8 + 1d12 +con= 267HP [313 Raging] &Ferocity
Initiative: +4
Speed: 50 ft.enhanced to 80 ft. 16 squares.
Armor Class: 27 [25] (–2 size, +4 dex,,+6 armour, +9 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 23.
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+39[41]
Attack: Gore +29[31] melee (2d6+21[24] magic
Full Attack: Gore + melee (2d6+21[24] Magic
Space/Reach: 15ft./10t.
Special Attacks: Ferocity, Rage 1/day[stats], smite good {+23 damage 1/day
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, 60' darkvision scent, SR 19, Cold & fire resist 10, DR10 magic
Saves: Fort +23[25], Ref +17, Will +17[19]
Abilities: Str 38,[42] Dex 18, Con 24[28], Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +11, Hide -1 Spot +11, survival +8
Feats: Iron will, Endurance, weapon focus, dodge, power attack, improved critical, mobility, spring attack
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or with Orcus cultists
Challenge Rating: 13 to 15
Treasure: +2 huge chain ’shirt’ barding{6550gp], Horseshoes of zyphyr [3000gp], potion tick of flight[750]

[ scattered in forest] 50,000 copper,10,000 silver, 500gp 100 platinum, 2000 in goods and gear [more if PC skilled in armour and weapon smithing]
Alignment: Chaotic evil

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
frankthedm said:
Awaken bestows 2 HD along with an average Int [3d6] and a 1d3 charisma bump to an animal.

How would awakening affect CR? A boost on its own, say +1[couting a 3d6 int as = a HD in animals since the normally are brainless beatsticks] , or just 2 more HD towards the +1CR for every 3HD.

I would only count the 2 HD.

Should this be kept seperate from animal's HD as advancement is concerned?[like animal compainion does] Or would awakening an animal move it down the path to lager size based on HD?

Seperate. Only actual advancement (i.e. 'aging bonuses') does change size. Bonus HD of any sort (animal companion bonus, Awaken, Warbeast template, etc) should not do so.

[Princess Mononoke's animal gods did inspire the spell after all]

Isn't that spell a bit older than the anime? ;)

Bye
Thanee

werk

First Post
I was told in a previous campaign that casting awaken on your companion turned it into a cohort, thereby requiring leadership. In the campaign we were playing, the DM waived that, and the druid kept his awakened companion, the casters their familiars, and I kept my awakened mount...but I've always wondered where it said that an awakened companion/mount/familiar became invalid. Anyone heard of this?

Thanee

First Post
Only thing I know is, that an animal companion has to be a *typical* animal of its kind (before the modifications from being an animal companion, obviously).

Special mounts and familiars are not animals, anyways, and thus cannot be awakened.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads