(Adventure) eK-1 The Tower of Koltifineous (Creamsteak Judging)

"Not that i have anything against story telling, but i'd rather get to the tower and prepare for the job." With his hood up and cloak closed the rain appears to not be much of a bother to Tristan.

Graf

Explorer
As you travel there are few other passerbys about, probably driven inside by the torrential rain. The few that you do see give you a wide berth; even stepping into puddles to give you space to pass. For his part Kolty seems to notice no-one, even passing by a small shrine of Taka without pausing in his step.
About half way toward the end of your journey the area around you becomes more rural as the path the gnome travels on begins to snake to the southwest. The ground becomes muddy and the path more difficult. Land out here is cheaper, being of poor quality, and soon only a few hardscrabble farms are all the buildings you see.
Up in the distance you can see a squat stone structure, still barely visible through the rain.

The wizard seems to awake from whatever reverie he had fallen into and seems to be scanning the sky and earth about him. The thing on his shoulder seems to mimic him; though with the speed that it whips its neck around you aren’t sure whether it can see anything at all.

Suddenly the gnome seems to notice something on the ground in front of him. He sticks his hand into the baggy sleeve of his robe and pulls out an object. Muttering something he places it on the ground and takes a step back.
The thing on his back brays “KOLTY KOLTY KOLTY”.

The object on the ground seems to be a cube and to be slowly growing larger.

a little bit over an hour has passed since you left the inn. you are about 150 feet from the stone structure in the distance. Koltifineous is a few feet in front of the rest of the group. The rain is going to provide partial concealment for any target beyond a dozen feet or so.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Jaan standing in the rain.

Graf said:
a little bit over an hour has passed since you left the inn. you are about 150 feet from the stone structure in the distance. Koltifineous is a few feet in front of the rest of the group. The rain is going to provide partial concealment for any target beyond a dozen feet or so.

"Well this is cheery. Would now be a good time to tell us a little about the tower and what happened there?"

OOC: I am going to be gone for about 2 weeks. I won't have access. So you can autopilot Jaan, or he can take the door and watch the party's back or we can engineer a disagreement and he gets offended and storms off or something like that. Let me know how you want to play it.

Graf

Explorer
The gray box grows anemically to be 12 feet tall and perhaps 15 feet on aside. Grey walls are constructed of non-descript stone. On the face in front of you there is a re-enforced wooden door, low enough that a tall human would have to duck to enter. Carved around the outside of the door in numerous languages are the words "Trespassers will be disintegrated." Judging from the light coming from under the door the interior is well lit.

The gnome pulls open the door. Silhuetted in the door way he says, "We can talk safely inside." He slips into the cube and out of sight.

If doghead is awayJaan ducks his head and slips inside.

The cube took about three rounds to grow to its full height.

doghead

thotd
OOC: I'm not dead ... er I mean gone yet. :) I'll let you know when I am on for the last time.

IC: Well, it looks drier than out here.

Jaan ducks his head and slips inside.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Tamatea swallows frowning at the strnage device that has grown into a door and waiting room
"Arcanum" he says disapprovingly in his native language
" it looks like this whole endeavor will be tainted by it" he continues speaking to Heru

"is it safe to enter?" he questions Jaan and the others (in common of course) before committing himself to this mischief...

doghead

thotd
Jaan in the cube

Tonguez said:
<snip>

"is it safe to enter?" he questions Jaan and the others (in common of course) before committing himself to this mischief...

Catching the question as he enters, Jaan turns to Tamatea as he appears at Jaan's shoulder.

"You know, I have no idea. Actually, that pretty much sums up the whole situation. All I do know is that we are here at the request of one who wishes to be called Koltifineous, but whose ... er companion insists on calling Kolty. A woeful state of affairs," he turns to the gnome, "that shall soon be remedied, I believe."

Jaan grins.

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
The inside of this structure is drab and cramped, little more than a ten-foot by ten-foot room. The sound of the rain echoes loudly on the ceiling, sounding like an avalanche might be going on outside. Koltifineous is slumped on a stool in the far left corner behind him is a small, lopsided wooden table. The creature is perched on top of a crude wooden table on the far wall beyond the gnome. Sitting next to its mottled green form is some sort of pie. Light, and heat, comes from a fireplace on the wall to the right; there is no chimney or flue and the fire seems to produce no smoke. In the far right corner, to the right of the table, is a pile of hay.

The gnome waits for everyone to enter grabbing a piece of pie from the table and mechanically shoving it into his mouth with his free hand. The other remains clutched around his wand. His clothing is threadbare and ill matched, you've seen beggars who were better dressed. His skin is quite pale and drawn. You can see what looks like some sort of puncture mark on his throat.

The creature slaps its rear once on the table when Jaan says, "Kolty." Koltifineous looks up at Jaan, opens his mouth to say something then swallows whatever it was.

Assuming everyone is inside the house...

Koltifinoues waves at the door, apparently intending to have someone close it. "Right, it's been a long day. It has. Lets get this started. Yes. I was conducting an experiment about three hours ago," the gnome pauses, thinking, "no, almost four now." He continues, "Perfectly routine, a sum-mon-ing. All the usual precautions. Unfortunately something went wrong. Called up something quite a bit different. The murch* made a hole in the floor of my keep. Took something, something mine, with it. It left behind a tunnel. I made plans to get the object back. But as I was completing my preparations these flying bugs came out of the hole. Called stirges, drink blood. The bugs, that is. Totally surprised, couldn't get my defensive spells cast. Had to run. Most didn't come out into the rain. Had their fill maybe."
*=You aren't familiar with this word. It sounds Gnomen.

The gnome leans toward you causing the stool to wobble forward with a tok sound.
"So go into the tower, get rid of the bugs. Once it's safe, I'll use one of my back up scrolls to wall off the hole. Simple. Oh and dirtpile goes with you."
The creature on the table bangs its rear up and down on the wood, apparently happy to have been mentioned. The gnome grabs another piece of pie before rocking back on the stool, tok, to regard you through lidded eyes.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
"Bugs?" Tamatea grimaces as the gnome tells his story, none of which sits well with him
"you want us to exterminate some big mosquitos?" he continues "I was expecting something like Pie stealing orcs not bugs!

Oh well" he settles himself down by getting all mercenary "how much are you paying us for this endeavor, what is a Murch and what on earth is that creature of yours?"

Remove ads