• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) Immortality Awakens (Knight Otu Judging) Part II

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Well...I guess maybe it would help to tell my story. My daughter Sykhia was the most beautiful girl in all the village, and she and I lived together alone in this inn ever since her mother passed away...we were all that the other had, and she lived a happy and carefree life, often wandering out to play with the local girls in the meadows and valleys and returning with berries and flowers that they had collected, and other things that she knew could be useful in my alchemical studies...she was such a dear. Anyway, one day the local lord and his son passed through the town, and the lord's son well in love with my Sykhia, and so there was to be a grand wedding, and both of us would move to the lord's castle and live happily ever after...But then, one fateful day just recently, disaster struck! A red dragon, not a very big one, but still a frightful terror that could raze this town if he pleased, flew down to the town and demanded our most beautiful maiden as a sacrifice, or else it would kill us all...There was nought I could do but watch as they carried her away to become a meal for that horrid dragon...I only wish that there was some way to bring her back down quickly before the dragon could eat her, or, barring that, at least to bring her remains for proper burial before the gods, and to stop the young lord's son from pursuing her to his death in the dragon's flames...If he died going after her, I don't know what his father would do to this town..."

Rystil Arden

First Post
She was sacrificed to the dragon only a few days ago, which is why anything and everything reminds me of her...even your friend, who admittedly doesn't look that similar, just because they're about the same age," he replies sadly.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Anton nods, "Yes, I am sorry for your sudden loss. I hope that your luck will improve." He seems awkward in the situation, and is eager to move on and pauses. "Did you say the boy, too, went after the dragon? When did he go?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"He's sent word that he's coming to save her, but he's no warrior...he's going to die if he tries to go after the dragon, even though it's just a baby. Still, though, I'm almost glad he's trying, even after what it means for this town, since, well...I think the dragon hasn't eaten her yet."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Really? Oh thank you! Yes, it's just a baby--it's smaller than a horse even, and I think it's still asleep. If I supplied you with alchemical gear, would that help? You know of Alchemist's Fire, yes? Well, since Red Dragons are weak against the boreal chill of cold, the fire won't help, but I have some vials containing Liquid Air, which is superchilled and can assault anything on which it spills with its icy touch, and other things too."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Not that we've seen. Those red dragons, they're so very selfish and capricious, it's a wonder when they even care for their young at all--usually they just abandon the eggs and leave the wyrmlings to fend for themselves. Unfortunately, the dragon could probably survive a shot or two of my Liquid Air, and I couldn't survive its fire breath for long, or I would go after my daughter myself...perhaps I still will--death would almost be better than the pain of knowing that she was killed while I did nothing..."

Remove ads