• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure:Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

Phoenix8008

First Post
[sblock=OOC to everybody]Hello.

First off, my apologies to all of you for my absence. This has been due to many things. Lack of time due to the schedule of my recently acquired job. And most sadly of all, a lack of enthusiasm on my part. My fellow players and DM's are not to blame. It's not because your stories or characters are uninteresting to me. But for some reason my desire to play, my enjoyment of playing, has taken a back seat to just doing my duty to keep posting for the benefit of everyone else for a little while now. I don't know if it may be related to my protracted lack of playing D&D in RL or not.

What all this boils down to is this: I need to take a break. If I didn't come here and declare it and let you all know, if I just disappeared, the guilt would keep me from reappearing someday. I hope to come back. I want to be able to come back and play and enjoy it again someday. I've been playing PbP here since before Morrus took over the boards from Eric Noah. The reason I've been absent for the past week was in coming to this decision one way or the other. But I've made my decision and it's time to implement it. Sorry to everyone involved for the trouble this causes. I will miss the stories we share, and I think that's important. If I kept going just to keep going and got even less interested, I might have lost that as well. I am hopeful that in missing the stories and the camaraderie, it will help draw me back here when I'm ready to start again.

For the Dm's I'm playing under, feel free to NPC my PC's until you find a convenient place to write them out of the story. For the players in my game, I'll give a little more detailed info for the adventure before disappearing.

To everyone here, farewell for now. I hope to return and enjoy your company again someday. Someday as soon as possible. ;)[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Good luck P8 and good journeys! I am sure it was hard but thanks for letting us know of your decision. Take care![/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Farewell to P8]P8: I've thoroughly enjoyed your involvement in this adventure.

Interest in D&D comes and goes. While you are gone, you will be remembered and celebrated in legend. When you return, you will be welcomed back with open arms (or perhaps sblock brackets). Whatever you end up doing in Real Life, don't foreget us, but, then again, don't feel like you're giving up anything more than a game, because, after all, that's all this is...right?

Best wishes to you where RL takes you. Remember us, should you ever find yourself twiddling your thumbs or browsing the net.

Cheers,
HMG.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=reminder]I will be out of the country starting tomorrow! I may have spotty access here and there but I wouldn't count on it. This battle is almost over, so Mervin will likely just second wind and then hang out and drink some wine, but I'm sorry I'll miss the actual RP stuff immediately after - the actual introductions and explanations. That just did not time out well. Anyway, HMG please feel free to NPC me. I should be back around June 13![/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
Heeding Talon's warning, Jin drops down off the table, moving to make line of sight with the knife fighter. The ronin walks slowly toward his opponent, not casually, but not rushing either. He marched with deliberate pace, to show his confidence.

"You are defeated," Jin declared. With a flick of his wrists, he spun his blades around to attack with the blunt edges. Jin slashed twice with his swords, but both attacks were parried.

"Surrender yourself, and you shall live yet, though surely you do not deserve it," Jin said.

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]
Twin Strike, Miss, Miss. Back to my usual form. I enjoyed my time as a successful striker for 2 rounds. I'll have to try that again some time.

[sblock=Action Block]
Move: G5 to F6 to F7 to F8
Minor: Flip swords around
Standard: Twin Strike
[/sblock][sblock=Jin Stat block]Ashikaga Jin'emon - Male Human Ranger 2
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 14
Defenses:
AC: 17, Fort: 16, Reflex: 17, Will: 14 -- Speed: 6

Vitality:
HP: 23/32, Bloodied: 16, Surge Value: 8, Surges left: 6/6
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: 1
Languages:
Common, Elven

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +8 vs AC - Acidic Katana 1d10+5
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: +7 vs AC - Thrown Dagger 1D4+3

Powers:
At-Will:
Hunter's Quarry, Twin Strike, Shield of Blades, Hit & Run
Encounter: Off-Hand Strike, Acidic Katana Ranged Attack, Unbalancing Parry
Daily: Jaws of the Wolf, Acid Katana Attack

Weapons:
1 Acidic Katana (Acidic Bastard Sword +1 stats)
1 Katana (Bastard Sword stats)
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Tenchuu]I assume you didn't catch EB's last post. I also assume that Jin would notice (no Perception check required) the immense fireball (15'X15'X15') engulfing the charred remains of the Knife Fighter and burning brilliantly enough to illuminate the room, even without the existing torches. Because of this, I'll let you retcon accordingly.

Ambusher 1 is the only enemy still alive.[/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Tenchuu]For time sake, let's say that Talon and Dayna move out of the way to let you have a swing at the ambusher. You move to E3. I'll use your rolls against the knife fighter.[/sblock]Talon motions for Dayna to make room and calls over to the ronin, "I don't want have all fun," He smiles through his bloodied teeth that begin to protrude from his already muzzle-like maw. The hair running down his back thickens to a matted tuft of fur that engulfs his clothing. He steps aside to give Jin a clear channel, but not before reminding the thug that he's still a threat.

[sblock=Actions]Minor: Wild Shape
Standard: Partnered Savaging
Target: Ambusher 1
Attack: 1d20+7=9 vs. AC for 2d8+2=14/2=7 damage
Effect: Shift to F3
Effect: Savage Rend
Target: Ambbusher 1
Attack: 1d20+4=13 vs. Ref Miss

Dayna: Shift to F4[/sblock]

Jin moves in, "You are defeated," he declares. With a flick of his wrists, he spins his blades around to attack with the blunt edges. Jin slashes twice with his swords, but both attacks are parried.

"Surrender yourself, and you shall live yet, though surely you do not deserve it," Jin says.

Though physically ineffective, the display of blade skill is significant. Bloodied, and realizing that he is completely alone, he drops his mace and puts up his hands, "P-p-please don' kill me."

Rujah just lies at the bottom of the stairs, thankful to be alive, and glad that he could help.

Firebyrne runs up the keg ramp and heaves the bar from its supports. With a little effort, he swings the doors wide and bellows into the otherwise silent street with an unnaturally loud voice, "JAHRED! BY THE LIGHTHOUSE BEAM! WHERE THE BLAZES ARE YOU!?"

As the group ties up the hapless thug, Mervin comes half-way down the stairs to the landing, bottle in hand and cork in mouth,"Gwood chwob, phewoh!." He spits the cork out, "Good job! You've won your little battle, but would anyone mind telling me where the hell I am?" He looks around like a child lost in a clothing store.

[sblock=Status]
Riardon M8 43/44HP 6/8HS 0/2IW 0AP
Talon F3 8(10)/36HP Bloodied6/8HS 0AP Second Wind Used
Dayna F3 3/38HP Bloodied 2/2HS Shares AP with Talon
Firebyrne G-1 32/37HP 0/0HS 0AP
Fenwick N9 37/37HP 10/11HS 1AP
Rujah M9 10/41HP Bloodied/11HS 0AP SW Used.
Jin E3 23/32HP 6/6HS 0AP
Mervin M11 15/31 HP Bloodied 7/7HS 1AP

Ambusher 1 D3 37/77 HP Bloodied
Ambusher 2 G2 -1/77HP Dead
Archer 1 I3 15/62HP Dead
Archer 2 N2 0/62HP Dead
Knife Fighter F9 -1000/162 FUBAR [/sblock][sblock=Map]
BasementRound8-1.png
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]Congratulations. You've busted the biggest thieving ring in Rioc Alair. Now you have three tasks ahead of you.

1. Get as much information out of you prisoner as you can before Jahred arrives.

2. Convince Jahred that you're not just troublemakers bent on burning down the best tavern in the city.

3. Convince Mervin to join your quest.

To the third end, some things that you don't exactly need an insight check to figure out:

- Mervin doesn't strike you as someone who likes noble quests for the sake of making the world better.
- Mervin is lost and angry that he's not having a pint at the Hanged Man.
- Mervin is suffering from large, second-degree burns over 40% of his body.

This will take the form of 3 RPing skill challenges of complexity 1 each.

SC1 Primary Skills:
Intimidate(2 max)
Bluff (1 max)
Diplomacy (unlimited)
Insight will give you a +2 on the next roll (failure doesn't count against you)

SC2 Primary Skills:
Diplomacy (unlimited)
History (1 max)
Perception (1 max)
Streetwise will get you a +2 on the next roll (failure doesn't count against you)

SC3 Primary Skills:
Diplomacy (Unlimited)
History(2 max)
Bluff (1 max)
Arcana (1 max)
Heal will give you a +2 on any of the other rolls (failure doesn't count against you)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
"Good job! You've won your little battle, but would anyone mind telling me where the hell I am?" He looks around like a child lost in a clothing store.

"Fenwick explain briefly earlier, but now will expound in great detail." The big orc stands up and smiles toothily at Mervin. "Fenwick tell this properly: Once upon a time, Fenwick sitting in Hanged Man tavern having drink and making small talk. Man come in shouting that something wrong in basement. This beer-man Wayne. Fenwick go with him to see, for chance of remuneration. Other people in tavern also go. Dragon-guy Rujah, Jin who is guy with two swords, Riardon who is officer guy, and wolf-guy Talon. We go look at basement, which is perfectly normal basement, except it is not basement of brewery in Daunton, but rather this basement here, which not in Daunton, and Fenwick expound upon that later. See, beer-man Wayne have magical necklace formerly belonging to wife, which make something magical happen when Wayne drop necklace in basement.
"So we go into basement, and find secret panel behind big cask, which not full of strong drink, unfortunately for people who want to drink. Then we find underground rooms with rats and drakes and bandits who attack us when we politely ask for return of necklace and to explain why we are in wrong basement. Then we fight and follow top bandit to underground river, where there is fight on boat. Eventually, Fenwick and companions victorious, and get magical treasures and gold, which very nice reward for fighting. Fenwick get this axe, which extremely handy in clash of arms. We also find papers. Papers talk about guy named Hankel, and talk of more treasure to be had. When we get necklace back for beer-man Wayne, we get back to Daunton. We back in tavern sitting there when sailor-guy come in, say he know about Hankel, and this is clue to great riches. So we all go get on boat and sail across ocean blue. We fight undead pirates on boats, and then pass through big portal to other seas. Then we get to this town here, and come up hill to big tavern outside of town gate. Most people in this town human, but we meet Firebyrne who is another dragon guy, and he work with Hankel. Then we come down to basement to check and see if this correct basement, and we get attacked by more bandits, which is where wizard guy comes in."

Fenwick gets a conspiratorial look in his eye, and places his arm around the nervous Mervin's shoulder. "More treasure to be had!"[sblock=roll]Diplomacy (Skill Challenge 3) (1d20+9=10)

I think Fenwick is trying a little too hard.
[/sblock]

Remove ads