Adventure: Lord Byron’s Economic Woes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

renau1g

First Post
Hergunna turn a sharp eye on the bugbear. "Ohhhh, so you can speak!" she says, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "When you shoved me without so much as an 'excuse me', I thought you might be a mute."

"Ah, and here I thought you were a bit daft just standing around in the entrance way, but hey we all make mistakes." Kane retorts.

Tenchuu

First Post
Lord Byron turned his gaze to Kane. "The Isle of Isceald is like the rest of our local seas. It is the mysterious nature of the Transitive Isles which made it disappear. Nothing anyone can control. But I fear that dark forces may be at work on the island, having taken root during the disappearance. For surely I have had employees slack on their duties when not watched, but I've never had them disappear all together. They should have returned when the island returned."

Byron nodded to
Hergunna, "Yes, of course. I shall pay you gold for your time. And any useful items you find, you may keep."

"Come, let us be off then. No time like the present!"
Lord Byron said, indicating they should finish their drinks and follow him. The nobleman lead the quartet to his horse and carrage, and took them down to the docks. There he hastely negotationed with a small boat captain.

The boat ride was slow going, and the small vessel rocked back and forth; it was difficult to walk, or even stand, up on the deck. The adventurers passed the time playing card games with the deckhands, who seemed terribly skilled at cheating. The following morning, the boat arrived at Isceald. As they approach the docks, the temperature seems to drop significantly. A strong wind blows in from the island, making it difficult to dock. After a failed attempt, the boat captain drops anchor and decides to tender the adventurers to shore.

"We have arrived," Lord Byron said, pulling his coat closer. "We are on the Southeast of the island. When you reach the dock, follow the path west where you will reach the staging camp. There, they gather the wood for transport and make charcoal. Continue west, and you'll reach the main camp where the workers should be living. From there, you go north on to the mine. Paths are cut to lead the way."
[sblock=Island Info / Byron Last-Call]
It is a brisk 40 degrees F on the island, and it was certainly not this cold in Daunton, nor on the voyage over. A strong wind blows on the island. When out in the open, there is a -2 to attack on ranged weapons. I'll remind you as the penalty applies.

Lord Byron is waiting on the boat, so this is your last chance to ask him any questions. Just include them in your post and I'll answer them.
[/sblock]

The deckhand ferried the adventurers to the dock in a small life boat, barely able to support the gerth of the adventurers. As they exit the small craft, the deckhand says, "Be careful. I fear these islands are full of dark magic. Something terrible has happened to the men who were once here, I just know it." He was unable to provide any supporting evidence, aside from his gut.

On the dock, a pulley system and 3 wheel barrels lay scattered. Ahead is a path, worn from walking but now overgrown. Through the brush, they can see the staging camp.

[sblock=Encounter #1]
Skill Challenge
Setup: Players attempt to move into the staging camp with stealth
Complexity: 1 (requires 4 successes before 2 failures)
DC: 12 (secondary Skills 17)
Primary Skills: Nature, Perception, Stealth

Rules:
- Each character gets 1 roll per turn
- Each character can only use a single primary skill once. For example: If
Hergunna uses Nature this round, she cannot use nature again. But everyone else could still use Nature this or any subsequent round once. As stated in DMG1, the same single-use rule applies to secondary skills.

If the rolls are on your side, you can knock this one out in one go-round. Good Luck.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
On the boat Wil shivers with the cold wind and frowns slightly, but smiles and perks up whenever talking to his companions. Surely I have used a bow in worse weather than this, though I have some spells that may do better.

When they reach the land, Wil looks over the wilds confidently and draws his bow in one hand. Just before they move through the brush he seems to be whispering a brief rhyme to himself. Step not on dry brush, though you be in a rush...

[sblock=OOC]Sorry, don't have inspire competence yet :) All those 3 skills at 5, so I am a jack of all trades.
Nature check 1d20+5=22

(status)
Initiative: +1 Speed: 5 Passive Perception:13 Passive Insight: 15
AC: 16 NAD:13/12/16
HP: 28/28 Surges: 10/10 Surge Value: 7 AP: 1
Languages: Allarian, Imperia, Draconic
Str:8 Dex:13 Wis:11 Con:16 Int:10 Cha:20

Powers:
Bardic Virtue (Once per round, when any ally within 5 squares of you reduces an enemy to 0 hit points or bloodies an enemy, you can grant 3 temporary hit points to that ally as a free action.)
Jinx Shot
Cutting Words

Shout of Triumph
Twin Strike
Hunter's Quarry
Majestic Word
Words of Friendship

Arrow of Warning

Full Character Sheet

[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Kane moves off the boat, seemingly less affected by the cold weather than the others, the wolf pelts providing a nice warm insulation. He draws his blade and axe, just in case, and tries to move along without noise, counting on his races inborn mobility to aid him. All is going well, until a large piece of wood lay under the overgrowth and the bugbear kicks it, sending it skittering along into one of the wheelbarrows. He looks back to the others and shrugs sheepishly.

"Sorry" Kane whispers

[sblock=ooc]
Let's try stealth
Stealth (1d20 6=11)
doh!
[/sblock]

LadyJane

First Post
Tessa remains very silent on the boat, speaking when spoken to but offering little words of her own, mostly staring out across the open sea with her hair whipping about. Occasionally she would give her companions a small warm smile but chewed her lip whenever she looked into the sea as if she feared it would swallow them whole.

When the boat landed Tessa would wrap a thick wool cloak about herself cinching it tight, nodding to Lord Byron and the deckhand. "We will not fail you milord, rest well, we will get to the bottom o' this!"

Turning to the deckhand, "Dark magics indeed... but I feel confident my skill with the Arcane will aid us again' such a challenge." looking to her companions nodding. She would giggle some as Kane tries to sneak around, just calmly walking with them from the rear, whenever Wil would catch her eye she would give him a big smile.

ryryguy

First Post
Hergunna spends the boat ride talking with her new companions. She's a little bit distant but not unfriendly. She still seems a bit annoyed at Kane, though.

She steps off the boat onto the beach and looks around, appearing quite unperturbed by the cold wind. "It feels nice here," she comments.

"Now everyone stay put for a few minutes, I know a little spell that'll help keep us hidden while we move out..."

[sblock=ooc]Wow, this skill challenge is right in Hergunna's wheelhouse...
including - can I use the Traveler's Camouflage ritual before the start of the skill challenge? It seems appropriate... might even get Kane's skill check over the hump!

If so, here is the roll: Nature check for Traveler's Camouflage (1d20+9=22) Grants a +5 to Stealth checks (and -5 penalty to anyone trying to find our tracks)

I'm not sure if you'd want a skill check in addition to the ritual, or if that would be Hergunna's turn. Just in case here's another Nature check to try to navigate overland: Nature Check (1d20+9=22) (Same result!)

PS - Sorry, I haven't done Hergunna's mini stat block yet. I'll try to do it soon, but may not be able to post again until tomorrow, busy day today.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
I'm assuming we would wait until the ritual is done. That would give Kane a 16 and enough to pass I think
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=ryryguy]Cool idea, but your CS shows that you are 0gp on Ritual Components for Nature. Not sure you can perform this ritual.[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=ryryguy]Cool idea, but your CS shows that you are 0gp on Ritual Components for Nature. Not sure you can perform this ritual.[/sblock]
[sblock=ryryguy,HM]He does list 9gp for Ritual Components (Arcana), even though it looks like all his rituals are all nature. Could be a typo; and, the PC is still not approved.

I'm okay with it, but ultimately I leave the judging in your hands. I need to know up or down though, as it effects the outcome of the encounter.
[/sblock]

Remove ads