Adventure: Lord Byron's High-Seas High-Stakes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

johnmeier1

Explorer
Wil cringes as he hears Kane crash through the window. He draws his bow and and looks around the corner. In a harsh whisper he says Kane get out here! There is one with a staff who masters fire and healing among them. Wil waves for Kruk and Hergunna to circle around the other way.

[sblock=OOC] Okay, they didn't seem to move despite what Kane did, so I am suggesting renau1g's idea that Kruk/Hergunna circle around. I want to keep the element of surprise, so Tenchuu let me know if I am wrong here but combat hasn't started yet and they have a ways to walk. Attack the pact bound adept first, I got good monster knowledge checks (Nature = 29, Dungoneering = 24) gives me the fire resistance of the adept and his powers (generally). Wil will hold where he is but be ready to attack as soon as he is spotted.
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]So I'm still wondering if we are going in initiative, and if we get stealth penalties for moving at this point, and if we officially did the stealth boosting ritual or not.

Referring back to the big map, Hergunna could make it all the way to D21 with a double move, but she'd be pretty isolated. It kind of depends on the stealth situation.[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Stealth, Init, et al]
The enemies heard the sound, and it is my DM laziness for not role playing it. Let's go with the following:

1. Combat has not yet started.
2. The enemies are looking around, startled by the sound, but are not yet venturing out to investigate
3. I'll give you two more rounds worth of movement (4x move, counting any actions posted since my last update) to get into position. At that point, you can either wait to see what the enemies do or start combat. Since they are alerted, it will not be a surprise round, but I will give the players initiative over the enemy if you start combat immediately (as opposed to move and wait).
4. For simplicity sake, I will ignore stealth penalties. Assume no ritual was done, since ryry didn't make a firm decision to do it, and make one more stealth roll to cover any movement in the 4x move period.

So, declare you movements. I will resolve any loss-of-cover / line-of-sight issues.

[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Stealth, Init, et al]
The enemies heard the sound, and it is my DM laziness for not role playing it. Let's go with the following:

1. Combat has not yet started.
2. The enemies are looking around, startled by the sound, but are not yet venturing out to investigate
3. I'll give you two more rounds worth of movement (4x move, counting any actions posted since my last update) to get into position. At that point, you can either wait to see what the enemies do or start combat. Since they are alerted, it will not be a surprise round, but I will give the players initiative over the enemy if you start combat immediately (as opposed to move and wait).
4. For simplicity sake, I will ignore stealth penalties. Assume no ritual was done, since ryry didn't make a firm decision to do it, and make one more stealth roll to cover any movement in the 4x move period.

So, declare you movements. I will resolve any loss-of-cover / line-of-sight issues.

[/sblock]
[sblock=ooc]Thanks Tenchuu. This seems like a good way to handle things.[/sblock]
Hergunna nods to Kruk, and creeps north along the edge of the building.

[sblock=ooc]Ok, Hergunna will move towards D20, but will not leave cover/concealment, stopping short if necessary.

Also if she sees a bunch more enemies behind the building, she might not want to continue that far.

Stealth (1d20+11=18) Dangit... well hopefully Kruk will distract them![/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
Hergunna creeps along the north edge of the building, and stops at the corner, peeking around and making sight of another large creature: a huge serpent, crackling with lightning.

[sblock=Mechanics]
[/sblock][sblock=Status]
Wil Rando: P21 40/40 HS 10/10 AP 1 MW 2/2
Hergunna: J11 46/46 HS 9/9 AP 1,
Kane: N20 53/53 THP 0/5 HS 10/10 AP 1, Prone
Kruk: K12 61/61 THP 0/13 HS 12/12 AP 1,
Carolina: U17 39/39 HS 7/7 AP 1

Enemies:
Lieth, Lightning Naga: A22:B23 162/162
Giant Lizard: H26:I27 69/69
Giant Lizard: I29:J30 69/69
Wyrmwarped Scaleshaper: G25 73/73 (Hidden)
Pact-Bound Adept F31: 58/58

[/sblock][sblock=Map]
Byron2-2-5.png

[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Lieth, Lightning Naga
Large immortal magical beast (reptile) Level 7 Solo Artillery
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +6; darkvision
Shocking Convulsions aura 5; any enemy within the aura that has ongoing lightning damage is slowed and cannot take opportunity attacks.
HP 162; Bloodied 81
AC 19; Fortitude 18, Reflex 20, Will 20
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6
Action Points 2
Tail Sting (standard, at-will) Lightning, Poison
Reach 2; +11 vs AC; 2d6+6 damage plus 1d6 lightning and poison damage.
Reactive Sting (immediate reaction, when an enemy hits lieth with a melee attack)
Lieth makes a tail sting attack against the triggering enemy and shifts 1 square.
Spark Shot (standard, at-will) Lightning
Ranged 20; +11 vs Reflex; 2d8+4 lightning damage; see also bloodied spark.
Lightning Lash (standard, at-will)
Lieth makes two spark shot attacks.
Lightning Volley (standard, recharges when first bloodied)
Lieth makes a spark shot attack against each enemy within range..
Stinging Bolt (standard, recharge 5,6) Lightning
Ranged 10; +13 vs Reflex; 2d12+4 lightning damage, and the target is immobilized and takes ongoing 5 lightning damage (save ends both). Miss: Half damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
Blooded Spark (while bloodied) Lightning
When Lieth hits with spark shot, the target of the attack also takes ongoing 5 lightning damage (save ends).

Giant Lizard, Draft

Large natural beast Level 4 Brute
HP 69; Bloodied 34
AC 16; Fortitude 18, Reflex 16, Will 13
Speed 7 (swamp walk), climb 2
Bite (standard, at-will)
+7 vs AC; 2d6+4 damage.

Pact-Bound Adept
Small natural humanoid (reptile) Level 6 Artillery (Leader)
HP 58; Bloodied 29
AC 18; Fortitude 17, Reflex 18, Will 20
Resist 5 fire
Speed 6, fly 4 (clumsy)
Quarterstaff (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 1d8 damage.
Flaming Staff (standard, at-will) Fire, Weapon
Requires quarterstaff ; ranged 10; +13 vs Reflex; 1d6+5 fire damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
Fierce Rebuke (immediate reaction, when an enemy moves adjacent to the pact-bound adept, recharge 5,6) Fear
The adept attacks the triggering enemy; +13 vs Will; the target is pushed 3 squares and weakened (save ends).
Dragon's Grace (minor, recharge 5,6)
Ranged 10; one ally gains resist 10 against a damage type of the adept’s choice until the end of the encounter..
Healing Burst (standard, recharge 5,6) Healing
Area burst 2 within 10; allies in the area regain 20 hit points..
Shifty (minor; at-will)
The adept shifts 1 square.
Trap Sense
The adept gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against traps.

Wyrmwarped Scaleshaper
Small aberrant humanoid (reptile) Level 6 Controller (Leader)
HP 73; Bloodied 36
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 18, Will 17
Speed 6, fly 4 (clumsy)
Claws (standard, at-will)
+11 vs AC; 2d6+3 damage.
Frightful Vision (standard, at-will) Fear, Psychic
Ranged 10; the scaleshaper attacks two different targets; +10 vs Will; 1d8+5 psychic damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
Unnatural Speed (standard, at-will)
Ranged 10; targets two allies within range, or the scaleshaper and one ally within range; the target gains +4 speed and can shift 2 squares as a minor action until the end of its next turn..
Warped Strength (standard, at-will)
Ranged 10; targets two allies within range, or the scaleshaper and one ally within range; the target gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls with its melee attacks until the end of its next turn..
Shifty (minor; at-will)
The scaleshaper shifts 1 square.
[/sblock][sblock=Map Info / Next Steps]
Everyone still needs to post their next up to 4x move (not including any standard actions). Ryry you can stop there or more on, but I assume you are stopping.

FYI, due to the retcon of Wil's move, the Wyrmwarped Scaleshaper is not yet visible. Please keep that in mind as you plan your actions.

The ground slopes down hill as it approaches the dock, so on the north side of the building, it's only a 5 foot jump from Hergunna's position to the cobblestone street below. [/sblock]

johnmeier1

Explorer
Wil holds his position and draws an arrow into his bow. He looks over his shoulder at Kane, waiting for the barbarian to move in.

[sblock=OOC] Wil will hold his position. I figured we didn't know about the Scaleshaper anymore because of the map, my IC suggestion indicated the Pact Bound Adept.

Didn't Kruk move to F20? I guess he would stop at C16 to avoid being spotted. So really only Kane has to take a double move (so stand and move)?

So a 5 foot jump down for me and him too?

My plan when we go first - Twin Strike on the Pact Adept, good damage and if I miss with either I can use Inevitable Shot to attack one of the Giant Lizards with Grappling Spirits (to lock it in place) Then I will move up to have LoS on everyone and hopefully Majestic Word distance to Kane
[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk shuffles as quietly as he can moving being the Hergunna, whispering to the her "Aye, what do we have here." Kruk leans foward to sneak a quick peak. "Hmmm...I've never fought on of those before." Kruk then adjusts his armor and readies his shield and axe. "Well Hergunna, what do ya say we pay this snake a visit." He winks at her as he prepares to charge the serpent.

actions: Double move to c16

industrygothica

Adventurer
Seeing nothing from her current vantage point, Carolina makes her way to the roof with the others, and joins Hergunna on the other side.

[sblock=OOC]Move to C16 if possible, B14 if not.

Stealth: 1d20+12=23
[/sblock]

Remove ads