Adventure: Lord Byron's High-Seas High-Stakes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

renau1g

First Post
Wil steps forward and calls out "Don't worry Hergunna, help is on the way" and she feels invigorated by the words. The bard takes aim with his bow and fires a powerful shot that pierces the Captain's leg and catches the deck behind him, keeping him from moving. "Kruk, Kane, he's all yours!" Wil says loudly.

[sblock=OOC]
Move: to F14
Minor: Majestic Word on Hergunna - heal for HSV+7 and slide 1
Standard: Grappling Spirits on Captain - vs ac; dmg (1d20+10=30, 1d10+3=13) nice shot Wil! Crits for 16 crit daamge (1d6=3) and target is slowed and can't shift until the end of its next turn
[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Triggers: Virtue of Prescience (if ally within 5 is hit by less than 2), Arrow of Warning (if bloodied ally is attacked)
Init: +4 Speed: 5 Perception:19 Insight: 17
AC: 19 NAD:14/16/19
HP: 40/40 Surges: 8/8 Surge Value: 10 AP: 1
Languages: Allarian, Imperia, Draconic
Str:8 Dex:14 Wis:14 Con:13 Int:10 Cha:21

Powers:
At Will - Jinx Shot, Cutting Words
Encounter - Second Wind, Shout of Triumph, Twin Strike, Grappling Spirits, Hunter's Quarry, Majestic Word x2 , Words of Friendship, Moment of Escape, Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade, Virtue of Prescience
Daily - Arrow of Warning, Inevitable Shot, Songbow of Vanishment

Full Character Sheet
[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk listens to the bugbear and says "Hmmmf...not a bad idea!" Just as he is about to make his move he notices the first mate scream in pain, arch his back, and fall to the ground. Looking up he sees the rogue tuck back behind the cannon. "Nicely done Carolina!" Kruk then moves into action. Rushing around the bugbear Kruk moves into a position of opprotunity against the quartermaster. He swings his axe at the backside of the pirate, with his axe burying deep into the right side of the shoulder of his foe. "Don't turn your back on an angry dwarf with an axe mate! Ha HAAAAA!"

[sblock=actions]
minor: second wind for 13 brings kruk back up to max
move to G21:
attack: brash strike: 1d20+12 vs AC of Quartermaster: 25 for 1d10+8=12 and the quartermaster is marked by Kruk. Kruk takes a -2 AC penalty vs. attacks from the quartermaster until the beginning of Kruk's next turn.
[/sblock]

[sblock=stats]
Kruk- Male Dwarf Fighter Level 4

*Adverse Condition: None
*Initiative: +2
*Passive Insight 14
*Passive Perception 14
*Senses low light vision
*HP 55
*Bloodied 24 Surge Value 12; Surges Per-Day 12 10
*AC 23 Fortitude 21 Reflex 15 Will 15 Speed 5
*Save +5 vs. poison
+armor bonuses: resist 5 fire & resist 5 necrotic
*action Points: USED
*Second Wind: USED
basic attack:+1 Thundering Battleaxe: To Hit: +10: Damage 1d10+5: additional 1d6 for a crit
Powers
*1 healing potion: reward from To Catch a Crimelord
*At will:
Brash Strike
Resolute Shield
*Encounter:
Passing Attack
Bull Charge
Boot Power
*Daily
Comeback Strike USED
Unstopable
Thundering Weapon power USED
Cloak Power
Boot Power

[sblock=More Kruk Info]
Kruk - Dwarf Guardian Fighter 4

Initiative: +2, Passive perception: 14, Passive Insight: 14

Defenses:
AC: 23, For: 21, Ref: 15, Will: 15

Vitality:
HP: 55, Surges: 12 Surge Value 13

Languages:
Common, Dwaren

Basic Attacks:
Melee: 1 Battleaxe of Thundering +10 Vs AC 1d10+5 (crit: additional 1d6 thunder damage)
Ranged: Throwing Axe +9 Vs AC 1d6+4

Powers:
Brash Attack, Resolute Shield, Magic Weapon
Passing Attack , Bull Charge, Boot Power
Comback Strike, Unstoppable, Cloak Power, Boot Power, Armor Power, Weapon Power

Weapons:
Battleaxe of Thundering +1

Kruk's Sheet
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]So... hmmm. If Hergunna shifts from the Majestic Word, then Kruk would no longer be flanking against the quartermaster, which I think he included in his attack - does this matter? I guess she could shift to H20 and Kruk stays where he is?

Not sure if the plan to wait for Kane still makes sense either with the 1st mate now down. Also, I think technically if Hergunna delays to wait for Kane, she won't get a chance to attack vs. the reduced defenses from Thorn Spray (and Kane wouldn't get to anyway, he already took an action since then.)

Grr, sometimes the "whoever posts first" initiative order just gets too confusing.

*edit* Ok, I have a plan... I'll just go ahead with the move, it should still help set up Kane.[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Ok, I'm going to assume that Hergunna slid to H20, and Kruk then did not have to move to get the flank in. If it is decided that Kruk did still move to G20, I still want Hergunna to have slid to H20...[/sblock]

Hergunna's defense holds up fairly well under the ferocious attacks, but she staggers under the onslaught from the first mate, nearly going down. As the bard's voice revives her, she slips out from the knot of pirates, using her new magic bracers to regain even more strength by drawing on Kruk's resiliency. She cheers when Carolina's knife brings down the deadly first mate. "Atta girl!"

Looking over at the pirate ship, the druid clutches her totem and concentrates. The great white wolf steps out of thin air behind the pirate crossbowmen at the rail, snapping at the exposed hamstrings of the one who was wounded by the thorns. The wolf's fangs bite deep, drawing blood.

[sblock=Wolf note]Tenchuu, the wolf cannot make opportunity attacks. I don't know if the pirates know that, or not. I'm hoping at least it will distract them for a round or two.[/sblock]

Trying to take advantage of her distraction, the pirate quartermaster strikes at her. But harried by Kruk, his attack does glances off her thick furs, though the dwarf's hurried counterattack also goes wide.

The wolf takes in its unfamiliar surroundings and whines. "Sorry," Hergunna whispers, knowing that it may not last long alone among enemies. "Thank you." Then she shakes her head, snarls, and drops down to all fours in wolf shape. She snaps out at the quartermaster, but he is able to escape her jaws despite Kane's harrying efforts. She scrambles across the shifting deck next to the captain and snaps out again with equal futility. She whines in frustration and pain as the captain lashes back with his chains, drawing blood once more.

[sblock=Actions]Free (from MW): Slide to H20.
Free: Use Bracers of Respite when Kruk takes his second wind. Bracers of Respite on self (1d8=4) +4 HP, now at 27.
Move: Shift to H21.
Standard: Summon Pack Wolf at L23. Attack vs. K23 archer as part of the summon: Pack Wolf vs. K23 (1d20+7=27, 1d6+5=9) Crit, yeah! Uh... I guess I should roll a separate 1d6 for crit damage despite the original roll being a 1d6 so... Wolf Crit (1d6=2) Oh well. Still, 13 damage to K23.

Quartermaster's OA misses: Quartermaster OA (1d20+14-2=14, 1d10+5=13)
Kruk's Combat Challenge misses: Kruk's Combat Challenge vs. Quartermaster (1d20+10=14, 1d10+5=13) (actually should have been +2 for CA, no difference though)

Minor: Wild Shape to wolf
Action Point: Predator's Flurry, attack #1 vs. Quartermaster w/CA (flanking with Kane), +3 Action Surge: Predator's Flurry vs. QM (1d20+7+2+3=14, 1d6+5+1d10=16) A 2, when I have +5 to the attack? You're kidding me.
Shift I19 as part of the attack.
Secondary attack vs. Captain (or javelin dancer), +3 Action Surge:
Predator's Flurry vs. Captain (1d20+7+3=14, 1d6+5=9) And now a 4, well crap. :( So much for my awesome plan, at least the wolf got a crit or it would have totally sucked. Would have been nice to hit at least one of these guys with all those bonuses, jeez.

Captain's parrying chains: Parrying Chains vs. Me (1d20+13=28, 1d10+5=12) Yeah of course that one is a good roll. :rant:)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Hergunna stat block]Hergunna- Female Human Druid 4
Wolf Form
Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 21
AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:18 -- Speed:7
HP:15/46, Bloodied:23, Surge Value:11, Surges left:8/9
Initiative +5
Action Points: 0, Daily Item Uses: 0, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers:
Thorn Whip, Call of the Beast, Chill Wind, Savage Rend, Wild Shape

Thorn Spray, Resist Energy, Predator's Flurry, Hunter's Quarry

Summon Pack Wolf

Death Fang Totem, Bracers of Respite
[/sblock]
[sblock=Summoned Wolf]
AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:18
HP: 23/23[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
I need to see if the captain moves from the missed attack before knowing what to do with Kane [/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=ooc]So... hmmm. If Hergunna shifts from the Majestic Word, then Kruk would no longer be flanking against the quartermaster, which I think he included in his attack - does this matter? I guess she could shift to H20 and Kruk stays where he is?

[sblock=ooc]
I think Kruk still hits even without the +2 to hit bonus from flanking with the attack roll, so there is no problem there. :)
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
I need to see if the captain moves from the missed attack before knowing what to do with Kane [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]I don't believe he can, since Wil's Grappling Spirits prevents him from shifting, right?

The question still open is whether Hergunna attacked the captain or the javelin dancer. She will be flanking if it was the captain. (I was hoping to just daze them and get Kane CA that way :()[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=ig / stealth check]
Disclaimer: I am far below even a novice when it comes to stealth in 4e, so I have been discussing it with the judge to make sure I play it legal.

According to HMG, from reading p280 and the stealth errata, Dim light (creating only lightly obscured conditions) offers concealment, not total concealment, to creatures even several spaces away. Therefore, Caroline cannot take advantage of the dim light to hide unless she achieves superior cover after a move. I'm being pretty liberal with what gives Caroline total concealment after a move (cannons / boats).

The second consideration is that Caroline has to move before she can roll for stealth. According to the errata, it doesn't have to be a Move action, just an action in which she has moved (Evasive strike, Tumble, Cut & Run, etc... for instance).

So, given that, Caroline is currently not invisible. ig you can go ahead and update your post to include some kind of move, to remain hidden.

Also, with the death of the enemy, I think the NPCs are going to start looking for her. So, fair warning.
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Tenchuu]Did you see I wasn't sure if the quartermaster would take his OA on Hergunna? The end of my move was dependent on that and it may peripherally affect Kane's action.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Once Again, IC has given Kane all the luck

With his allies out of the way, Kane steps forward and hacks at both the captain and the quartermaster. The bugbear's bloody path of destruction continues unabated as both men are brutally hit by the barbarian's axes.

"Kane tell you be nice, you hurt friends now you no go back to Bacarte 'cept in a casket" the bugbear admonishes.

[sblock=ooc]
*Until rage ends when Kane hits with Primal melee power, each enemy adjacent to Kane takes 4 damage. Only 1/turn (new errata, can't imagine anyone misreading it as otherwise)

**Oh, I'll be at the hospital tomorrow for my children's surgery, possibly out all weekend. Nothing major, they'll be home by lunch, but they're only 2 so maybe need lots of attention from dad.

Move: Shift to G19
Minor: Quarry Captain
Standard: Whirling Frenzy - vs ref (captain, Quartermaster); dmg (1d20+11=28, 1d20+11=28, 1d12+1d12+6=22) hits both for 22 damage and then an additional 4 (from rage) so 26 for quartermaster & 31 for captain. HQ damage (1d6=5)

[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]Kane Male Bugbear Barbarian 4
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 12, Senses: Low-light
AC:21, Fort:19, Reflex:18, Will:14
HP:38/53, Bloodied:26, Surge Value:13, Surges left:10/10
Action Points: 0
Powers:
Howl of Fury
Whirling Rend

Furious Assault
Hunter's Quarry (Ranger MC)
Whirling Lunge
Whirling Frenzy
Brutal Slam
Shrug it Off

Swift Panther Rage
Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Vanguard Weapon

Important Stuff:
+1d8 damage when charging (only using the Vanguard weapon though). Cool stuff happens when he bloodies or kills a bad guy

Conditions:

Full sheet: L4W:CS:Kane - L4W Wiki [/sblock]

Remove ads