Adventure: Lord Byron's High-Seas High-Stakes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Kane/Ryry re:OA and Captain]
1. On the OA... there's not good reason not to take it right? I mean, if you're going to move and draw an OA, just roll for a basic attack and it's damage, role play the effects in your post. Or am I missing something?

2. On the captain, any melee attack, hit or miss, trigger's the captain's parrying chains interrupt. So, if you trigger it, roll it, role play the effects.

3. With regard to the captain shifting on a miss, Wil's Grappling Spirits prevents him from shifting, so the captain can't shift, even if he wanted to.
[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
[sblock=ig / stealth check]
Disclaimer: I am far below even a novice when it comes to stealth in 4e, so I have been discussing it with the judge to make sure I play it legal.

According to HMG, from reading p280 and the stealth errata, Dim light (creating only lightly obscured conditions) offers concealment, not total concealment, to creatures even several spaces away. Therefore, Caroline cannot take advantage of the dim light to hide unless she achieves superior cover after a move. I'm being pretty liberal with what gives Caroline total concealment after a move (cannons / boats).

The second consideration is that Caroline has to move before she can roll for stealth. According to the errata, it doesn't have to be a Move action, just an action in which she has moved (Evasive strike, Tumble, Cut & Run, etc... for instance).

So, given that, Caroline is currently not invisible. ig you can go ahead and update your post to include some kind of move, to remain hidden.

Also, with the death of the enemy, I think the NPCs are going to start looking for her. So, fair warning.
[/sblock]

[sblock=DM]Noted and edited. I'm new to the stealth bit as well, so if I'm doing something wrong, by all means let me know.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Kane/Ryry re:OA and Captain]
1. On the OA... there's not good reason not to take it right? I mean, if you're going to move and draw an OA, just roll for a basic attack and it's damage, role play the effects in your post. Or am I missing something?

2. On the captain, any melee attack, hit or miss, trigger's the captain's parrying chains interrupt. So, if you trigger it, roll it, role play the effects.

3. With regard to the captain shifting on a miss, Wil's Grappling Spirits prevents him from shifting, so the captain can't shift, even if he wanted to.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]The only reason I wasn't sure about the quartermaster's OA is that he was marked by Kruk, so Kruk would get to take a shot at him from Combat Challenge if the pirate took the OA. That would be the possible reason for him not to take it. :) I'd be happy to roll it, just a bit reluctant to "choose" something for an NPC that results in an attack on him. So I'm still not sure if I should roll it for him now or not. :)

(In fact I intentionally chose to move to a spot where he'd get the OA partially since it might result in an attack for Kruk, but also in part so I'd be flanking him for my next attack...)

I did roll the parrying chains interrupt as well... I guess the only thing was, without knowing about the quartermaster's OA, I might not have attacked the captain. If the quartermaster hit Hergunna I would have gone after the javelin dancer instead (precisely because of parrying chains ;)).[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]OK Tenchuu, it seemed like from your last post that I should go ahead and to the OA from the quartermaster. I'll revise my previous post accordingly. It should be easy enough to retcon if that's not right, and this way you can proceed with the update either way. ;)

*edit* Ha, wouldn't you know, my crappy rolling continues so neither the quartermaster nor Kruk hit, so it doesn't make any difference anyway, lol.

Tenchuu, if you have any advice or policy about how to handle this kind of situation next time, please tell! (On the one hand, it's faster if we assume "always roll OA for NPC", plus I think it's not bad to let the fighter get his Combat Challenge attacks sometime, it's one of his defining features after all. On the other hand, players might end up "gaming" it if they know they can always get the fighter an attack by provoking.)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=OAs]
I think it's fair to say always roll the enemy OA. I understand your hesitation, and I appreciate you giving me the option, but I agree it will make things run smoother. Plus, I try not to over-think the NPCs actions; the natural reaction would be to attack for the OA, and then be surprised when Kruk essentially gets an OA.

Now, there is some merit to "He may not want to do it again, after Kruk's attack", but I think the making-things-easier factor still supports the always roll OAs.

So, long story short, Please roll any OA you trigger, consequences for the NPCs be damned.

Thanks![/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=OAs]
I think it's fair to say always roll the enemy OA. I understand your hesitation, and I appreciate you giving me the option, but I agree it will make things run smoother. Plus, I try not to over-think the NPCs actions; the natural reaction would be to attack for the OA, and then be surprised when Kruk essentially gets an OA.

Now, there is some merit to "He may not want to do it again, after Kruk's attack", but I think the making-things-easier factor still supports the always roll OAs.

So, long story short, Please roll any OA you trigger, consequences for the NPCs be damned.

Thanks![/sblock]
[sblock=OAs]Thanks for the clarification Tenchuu. I agree, that's probably the easiest/best way to run things. :)[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Note: Kruk has a +2 to attack roll on OA's due to his Wis mod. :)
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]This is an arcane point in the rules that often leads to confusion... but the attack you get to make from Combat Challenge (when an adjacent marked target shifts or attacks someone else) is not technically an Opportunity Attack. It's a separate Immediate Interrupt power that grants a melee basic attack... Very similar in feel to an Opportunity Attack since they both grant MBA's in response to the enemy doing something. But technically it is not actually an OA so you don't get that Combat Superiority bonus.

Extra confusing since the two class features are listed one after the other, it just seems like they should work together, huh?

Not that it would have made a difference anyway here I'm sure, IC just seems to have it in for me recently. In Food of the Gods I did a roll of 7 initiatives and none of the 7 d20 rolls were higher than 10. :eek:[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
Blood pouring from his wounds, the Captain barks orders. "Grrr... Give me some damn cover fire!"

However, the archers were less than responsive, occupied by a suddenly appearing wolf. The first crossbow Pirate backs away from the wolf, and fires quick shots, hitting both Hergunna and the wolf.

The bloodied Archer, in fear of his life, grabs the boarding rope used by the quartermaster and swings across to the Wind's Will. Taking aim, the archer picked out two targets close together, Hergunna and Kane, and fired. The bolt targeting Kane missed, but Hergunna took a bolt to the neck, which dropped her to the ground.

The third Archer, also backing away from the wolf, fired off a shot at the creature and Kruk. The attack on the wolf hit, bloodying the creature, but the pirate archer missed the fighter.

The quartermaster moved toward the corner of the ship and whipped his morning star toward Kruk, but the weapon bounced harmlessly off the dwarf's armor.

"I believe you attacked us first," The captain said to Kane, looking over his shoulder, "and now your friend is dead because of it." He struck out with his chains, but missed well wide. Crouching down, the Captain took advantage of the wild attack and whipped the flail back, tripping up the bugbear again. Kane hit the ground hard, rolling back toward the starboard rail.

The Javelin Thrower ran down the port side of the ship. Stopping right next to Caroline, but unaware of her presence, he drew another Javelin and threw it at Wil, striking the bard in the back.
[sblock=Carolina]You can take an OA on the Javelin Thrower. If you do, you will no longer be hidden. If you decide to take it (I think you should), please roll for it.
[/sblock][sblock=Mechanics]
Pirate Archer L21
Move: to M20
Standard: Quickshot vs Hergunna and Wolf
Attack Hergunna: 1d20+11-2=18
Damage: 1d8+5=8
Attack Wolf: 1d20+11-2=28
Damage: 1d8+5=10

Pirate Archer K23
Move: to K22 to J22 to I21
Standard: Quickshot vs Hergunna and Kane
Attack Hergunna: 1d20+11-2=28
Damage: 1d8+5=12
Attack Kane: 1d20+11-2=12 Miss

Pirate Archer K24
Move: to K25
Standard: Quickshot vs Wolf and Kruk
Attack Wolf: 1d20+11-2=26
Damage: 1d8+5=7
Attack Kruk: 1d20+11-2=18 Miss

Pirate Quartermaster
Move: shift to F21
Standard: Morning Star vs Kruk
Attack: 1d20+14-2=16 Miss

Captain Smargat
Flail Trip Recharge: 1d6=5 Recharged
Standard: Flail Attack vs Kane
Attack: 1d20+13-2=12 Nat 1 Miss
Action Point: Flail Trip vs Kane
Attack: 1d20+11-2=25
Damage: 2d10+7=21
Effect: Kane is Prone and slides to F19
Move: to I18
Save vs Slowed: 1d20=6 nope

Javelin Dancer
Move: G17 to H16 to I15 to I14 to I13
Minor: Draw Javelin
Standard: Javelin Attack vs Wil
Attack: 1d20+12-2=22
Damage: 1d6+3 + 1d6(Skirmish) =10

[/sblock][sblock=Status]
Wil Rando: F14 21/40 HS 10/10 AP 1 MW 1/2
Hergunna: I19 -5/46 HS 9/9 AP 1, Dying
Kane: F19 4/53 HS 10/10 AP 0, Bloodied, Prone
Kruk: G21 55/55 HS 10/12 AP 1, SW Used
Carolina: I12 39/39 HS 7/7 AP 1
Summoned Wolf: L23 6/23 (AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:18)

Enemies:
Captain Smargat: I18 54/178 AP 0, Bloodied, Slowed,
Javelin Dancer: I14 60/70 Jav 1/3,
Pirate Quartermaster: F21 44/82, Marked by Kruk (+2 to hit TENT)
Pirate Archer: M20 45/45 Bolts 14/20
Pirate Archer: I21 22/45 Bolts 14/20, Bloodied
Pirate Archer: K25 45/45 Bolts 14/20

Thug: G20 0/1 Dead
Thug: I20
0/1 Dead
Pirate 1st Mate: G18-1/136 AP 0, Dead
[/sblock][sblock=map]
Byron2-1-5.png

[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Captain Smargat
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 8 Elite Skirmisher
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +6
HP 178; Bloodied 89
AC 22; Fortitude 21, Reflex 20, Will 20
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Flail (standard, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d10+7 damage, and Smargat shifts 1 square. Reach 2.
Flail Trip (standard; requires a flail and combat advantage against the target, recharge 4,5,6 ) Weapon
+11 vs Fortitude; 2d10+7 damage, and Smargat slides the target 1 square and the target falls prone. Smargat shifts 1 square.
Parrying Chains (immediate interrupt, when a melee attack hits or misses smargat; requires two flails, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage, and Smargat gains a +2 bonus to the defense that the triggering attack targeted against the triggering attack.
Whirling Escape (free, when a melee or close attack misses smargat; at-will)
Smargat shifts 1 square.

Pirate Archers (reskin: Chevkos's Crossbowman, customized)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 4* Artillery
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +4
HP 45; Bloodied 22
AC 16; Fortitude 16, Reflex 18, Will 16
Speed 6
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+9 vs AC; 1d6+2 damage.
Crossbow (standard, at-will) Weapon
15/30; +11 vs AC; 1d8+5 damage.
Quick Shot (standard, at-will)
The crossbowman makes crossbow attacks against two different targets.

Pirate Quartermaster (reskin: Waterdeep Street Thug)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 7 Soldier
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +5
HP 82; Bloodied 41
AC 21; Fortitude 19, Reflex 20, Will 17
Speed 6
Morningstar (standard, at-will) Weapon
+14 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage, and target is marked until the end of the thug’s next turn.
Poisoned Dagger (standard, encounter) Poison, Weapon
Ranged 5/10; +14 vs AC; 1d4+6 damage, ongoing 5 poison damage, and the target grants combat advantage (save ends both).
Rattling Smash (standard, encounter) Fear, Weapon
+12 vs Will; 2d10+8 damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of its next turn. If the target was marked by the tough, the target is also dazed until the end of the tough’s next turn.

Human Javelin Dancer
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 6 Skirmisher
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +4
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 21; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 17
Speed 6
Spear (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 1d8+3 damage.
Mobile Attack (standard, at-will)
The human javelin dancer shifts 3 squares and makes one spear attack during the move.
Javelin (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +12 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage.
Adept Retreat
A human javelin dancer does not grant combat advantage from running.
Skirmish
If a human javelin dancer ends its move at least 4 squares from the square where it started the move, its attacks deal 1d6 extra damage until the start of its next turn.
Notable Equipment: Enduring Beast Armor +1

Pirate 1st Mate (Reskin: Amreth Gaunt)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 6 Elite Skirmisher (Leader)
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +11
HP 136; Bloodied 68
AC 21; Fortitude 17, Reflex 19, Will 18 ; +2 to all defenses against opportunity attacks
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage.
Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 5/10; +11 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage.
Fencing Strikes (standard, at-will) Weapon
Gaunt makes a short sword attack and a dagger attack (melee or ranged), and he shifts 1 square after each attack.
Surprise Counter (immediate interrupt, when hit or missed by a melee attack, recharge 5,6 ) Weapon
Gaunt can shift 1 square before the attack; he gains combat advantage against the target (included in attack and damage); targets the triggering attacker; +13 vs AC; 3d6+4 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of Gaunt’s next turn.
Muddling Slash (standard; requires short sword, encounter) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage, and the target is slowed and grants combat advantage (save ends both), and it slides 2 squares.
Blinding Bomb (standard, at-will) Weapon
Area burst 1 within 10; +8 vs Fortitude; the target treats all nonadjacent squares as lightly obscured until the end of Gaunt’s next turn. This attack doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.
Ignoble Escape (move; encounter)
Gaunt ends any marked condition currently affecting him, and he shifts 6 squares.
Combat Advantage
Gaunt deals 2d6 extra damage when he hits a creature he has combat advantage against.
Quick Draw
Gaunt can draw an item as part of the same action required to use that item.
[/sblock][sblock=Notes on enemy interrupts]
Captain Smargat
1. Any melee attack will trigger his Parrying chains ability. Go ahead and roll the attack for this.
2. A missed melee or close attack will trigger his Whirling escape. I will decide if he uses these.
[/sblock][sblock=Dim Light]
Characters who have normal vision can’t see well in dim light: Creatures in the area have concealment. Characters who have low-light vision or darkvision see normally in dim light.

So, all of the enemies will have -2 to hit everyone else.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads