Adventure:-- LPNN (Manzanita Judging)

two

First Post
Aftermath...and loot... and stuff like that

Aftermath.

(BTW, Stinker bled to death a few rounds ago.)

LongTooth and Slinker glide off into the darkness after a round or, at most two, rounds pass. You are left to pick up the pieces.

Some of the pieces are long and shiny. They include two masterwork rapiers (Slinker didn’t have time to pick his up). They also include a cast-off potion, used by LongTooth upon Slinker, which is wooden and rather bulbous at the base. Upon it is burned the following text, written in awkward script with what appears to be nothing more complicated than a long hot nail, “GRAW-MA’S HEELIN’ JUCE”.

Hallidor, seeing this, walks over to one of the rocks near the crown of the hill, picks up his own discarded potion (which had been used on Almayce), and holds it up.

“Strange,” says Hallidor, since his potion reads: “JUPIN JAZ JUCE” in what appears to be the same rough script, scorched upon the wood (pyrography is the term). In addition, the bulbous base of the two wooden potion bottles match almost precisely.

++++++++++++++++
[SBLOCK]
LOOT
If the party really wants them, there is one light crossbow and 6 masterwork bolts (from Stinker). Stinker is also wearing rotted leather armor, affording not very much protection (+1 AC). There is also, scattered about in the various pockets and belts on Stinker’s body: a dagger, two bits of what appears to be a root (which smells vaguely of lemon verbena), a bag made of dirty linen containing 13 human (or at least humanoid) finger nails (yellowed and brittle), a small chunk of charcoal, a thin toothpick formed from a gold alloy, an ivory whistle of the type that includes a ball rattling within the body of the whistle, 19 silver pieces, a length of thin silk rope that the pedantic discover is 26.31 feet long, a desiccated beetle exoskeleton, and last and least lint.
[/SBLOCK]

++++++++++++++++

[SBLOCK]

EXPERIENCE (calculated via http://www.d20srd.org/encounterCalculator.htm)

For the first battle, each member of the party of 7 gains 71 XP each for killing five Dire Rats.

For the second battle, each member of the party gains 249 XP; naturally, XP awards are less for enemies that escaped. In addition, the Bat Swarm had a significant weakness (necklace), but you were not penalized too much for that.

Total thus is: 320 xp per PC.

It is my hope that now that the nitty-gritty of rules-intensive combat is over, we can (thank god!) return to PC talk, i.e. OOC comments should be hidden if at all possible.

[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Well, the potions matching like that only confirms our suspicions--there is a syndicate of wererats amok in your village, Hallidor, and one that wants us dead if we snoop around about your sister's death. Considering how very nearly we all were to total annihilation from just this first wave of lackeys, it is of our opinion that your gold is simply not worth the incredible risk--next time, we won't have all those potions, and the wand will run its course after a few more of these nightly attacks, at which point we lose--furthermore, it is only a matter of time until one of the rats gets a vital hit, which would kill many of us in one blow. Our thought is to return back to Orussus during the day--when they will be unable to transform into rats due to lack of moon and thus will probably leave us alone--you will, of course, have your advance payment back, if this is the option chosen. We are, however, open to discussion and suggestions."

OOC:
[SBLOCK]
I will admit that there were a lot of rules calls in this fight, which is not typical for me--personally, I only called them all because the party was hopelessly outmatched by its opposition.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Xael

First Post
"Or we buy some silver armament at the first opportunity, and kill them. Preferably very painfully.", Almayce states bluntly. "Gold is second priority to me at this point. You're free to do as you want of course."

OOC: I really don't consider the rats that much of a threat. The swarm was a large annoyance though.

Rystil Arden

First Post
OOC:
[SBLOCK]
Yup, that's why Summon Swarm requires concentration. Also, note that the rats can keep attacking with their swarm each night, and if they actually manage to take out Vargo and Almayce, its game over--also, I'm worried that eventually we will see a redux of the Juliana fine-to-dead flop from a critical.
[/SBLOCK]

"Very well then, this plan appeals to us, especially the painful part--let us then go back to Orussus for silver weapons and then come back forewarned and properly armed."

rln

Explorer
"I for one doubt it will be the last we see of them. I'm still with you. Besides, noone that call me a 'runt' should be allowed to sleep well afterwards. I suspect our longtoothed friend here might have been that creep we met in that alley - what's his name, Tryggvi?

"And about these potions, it seems they were manufactured by the same person - it would be interesting to know where you got hold of yours, Hallidor."
Ogrins eyes narrows in suspicion at this comment.

"We certainly need to rest and restock before we continue. I silver bullets, and perhaps some other weapon as well. "

[SBLOCK]OOC: Lots of rules talk yes, but long battle tends to be as everyone looks for a way not to die :) And, I believe everyone got their tricks nailed down in this battle (except perhaps me), so they should know the rules further ahead in the game! ;)

OOC2: I just leveled up - will have the math ready & sent for approval tomorrow morning eastern time, I hope.[/SBLOCK]

Rystil Arden

First Post
"We agree with your suspicion--we had already made the assumption that the leader of those three wererats was probably Tryggvi earlier based on use of a common set of idioms. Let us return to Orussus to restock and then head out another time--assuming that a small village will have the alchemical silver weapons we need is foolish and subjects us to more assaults if wrong, whereas Orussus is a sure thing."

Vargo

First Post
"Aye, and some silvered toothcaps for Huln would definitely come in handy. I'm not exactly made of money right now, but I've got some, and I'll put what I've got towards getting us equipped. I say we head back to Orussus, rearm, and then go deal with the wererats."

Vargo has about 80gp to share.

[sblock](muttered)damn 995xp, where's a squirrel when you need 5xp? :p[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
"By our calculations of your human coinages, we should be easily able to afford silvered weapons if we sell those two well-made rapiers for the gold."

two

First Post
Hallidor Responds

{Hallidor nods his head, responding to questions concerning his potion}

“Yes, it is strange. I bought this potions from Sigurveig the midwife. She travels around from village to village, and always seems to be nearby when there is a difficult labor. She is highly esteemed. A very notable woman. Unmarried, but not thought of badly despite that. She has been knows to make long trips on occasion, and sometimes complains about them… I remember once hearing her tell of an arduous climb up a mountain in Autumn to collect the late-blooming blossoms of some flower whose name I’ve forgotten… of course she also can help you with your toothache or sore throat, or more serious injuries on occasion. She let me buy this potions only after hearing about why I wanted to buy it. I think she judged the cause sensible enough. Though she isn’t about to let anything part from her without paying dearly. She is a woman of hard bargains, and she likes her gold – and her pearls.”

{After hearing talk about silver weapons and a return to the big city}

“Might I suggest stopping at Allimon, a village just one day’s travel due north? We passed through in a rush yesterday. It didn’t take much skill for us to forge useful silvered items; surely the local blacksmith could coat a few weapons with silver, provided we give him the silver for the weapons – and some extra for himself.”

{Upon hearing talk of giving up and returning to the city}

“I will be honest with you. I never suspected such an attack, and have no idea what the future holds. Yet I know one thing. We won the battle. Oh, there might be other fights. And we might be challenged by even by greater foes. But I tell you this: I do not fear battle, and I do not fear death. What I do fear is twofold: cowardice, and breaking my vow to my slain sister.

I will not call anyone a coward who wishes to part company. It is, after all, my battle; my fight. Yet I will tell you this: those that stay, those that hold the course, I will view now and forevermore as true companions in arms, nay blood brothers even, for have you not saved my life? (pointing to Almayce). And have I not saved yours? (pointing to Almayce).

Forgive my harsh words. I do not mean to give offense. I am no great speaker; but I speak from the heart. We battled as brothers and triumphed as brothers, one and all – (indicating Juliana) and even the woman, a strong shield-maiden if even I saw one – even she I call my brother.”

Hallidor’s eyes grow somewhat misty from the obvious emotions his speech stirs within him, and he turns away suddenly, busy with the fire, poking around the ground, kicking stones, inspecting his bloodied mace.

rln

Explorer
"Aye, and returning north may also fool those two that we've given up and is returning to Orussus, should they spy on us.

Where would we find this midwife? We may have use of her potions and talents... She may have a clue to our assailants identity, unless they have seen fit to silent her. At the very least, we should warn her about the danger of meddling with such creatures. "

Ogrin marks the face of the dead ratman into memory, intent to see if he can identify him.

Remove ads