[Adventure] Marna is Missing (DM: pacdidj, Judge: renau1g)

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
While Alnar moves in one direction, Raiko heads to the barman and the nearby halfling. He tries his best to be polite and unimposing.

"Excuse us sirs, but we are trying to find passage to Kythira. Might you know of any ships heading in that direction? The sooner we are ale to book passage, the sooner we can be on our way." He adds the last part, as a reference to all the stares and side comments.

[sblock=ooc]Diplomacy 12[/sblock]

samursus

Explorer
Ferris follows the others into the tavern. Seeing that Alnar and Raiko have engaged the most likely looking contacts, he sits with a grateful sigh next to the fireplace.

I wonder how we'll afford passage with this suspiciious bunch

Insight 1d20+9=22

[sblock=ooc]Doh! Righteous Brand just got nerfed a little bit in today's Rules update... should I change my wiki sheet now?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Bann-ur squeezes through the door into the new tavern. Looking around, he sees the stares of all the patrons at his group. As some of the others move forward to strike up conversations, Bann-ur hangs back while thinking to himself... 'Stay back I should so as not to damage their negotioations. Not good with people, am I.'

pacdidj

First Post
In the Back

The sailor nods his greetings to Alnar. He is a short human with curly red hair, and bears a large scar across his forehead and left cheek from a wound that seems to have also taken a large chunk of his left ear off. He wears greasy breaches and a leather armor tunic over what looks to have once been a rather fine and expensive seal-skin coat. He is standing with an equally grisled group of several humans, one halfling, and an elf, who are all engrossed in a game of dagger-toss and don't pay any heed to Alnar as he crosses the room to speak with their comrade.

"Aye, a boat I can help ye with guv. Me names Cap'n Harge, and I be the cap'n of the Red Thunder. A fine vessel she is, and she'll see ye ta where yer going. As for my fee, that depends on when ye'd like ta set sail. If yer lookin' ta leave in this weather I reckon I'll have ta double me usual fee. Let's call it four gold coins a head, for a total of twenty. That'll take ye ta any of the Proximate Isles. You won't be findin a better deal than that anywhere I'll wager. Whaddaya say guv?"

[sblock="Alnar, Streetwise 10"]Cap'n Harge's purportedly "doubled" fee seems very low. Even in perfect weather conditions only the cheapest passanger ships offer berthing to the Proximate Isles for 4gp.[/sblock]

[sblock="Ferris - or Insight 22"]Though you are too far away to hear the conversation between Alnar and Cap'n harge, something about his body language is off-putting. You don't think he's very trustworthy.[/sblock]

At the Bar

The elderly halfling turns to face Raiko. He peers at the dragonborn, blinking several times as if he can't see him very well. "You're looking for a ship? Or maybe a boat? If it's a boat you're looking for, maybe I can help. You looking for a boat? Name's Lierdon, fisherman. Or at least I used to be. These eyes and hands are getting to old to pull the fishing nets these days, and I'm looking to get out of the business. My lout of a son, Herdon, fancies himself too good for fishing, became a money lender he did. Got no use for old Sea Princess, fine boat though she is."

"I'll sell her to you if you like. She'll carry you and your mates to wherever you're going. Her sails are good and she runs straight and true. I'd be willing to let her go for 200. I know it's a bit steep, but see I've got my retirement to think on, since that fool Herdon couldn't give a care for me and his mother."

At this point the barkeep, a portly man wearing an apron that looks like it hasn't seen soap and water in months, interjects, "Now come on Lierdon, I keep tellin you you're never gonna get that price for that old wreck," he then says to Raiko, "Listen friend, I might know a bloke who can help you. He's in a bit of a bind and might be willing to take you where you're going for free if you can do him a good turn. But, it's a touchy matter. How do I know I can trust you?"

[sblock=Raiko]The halfling's asking price for his ship is indeed steep, but he might be willing to come down a bit with some haggling. If you can make 3 successes before 2 failures on a Diplomacy check vs. DC 10, you can talk him down to 100gp.

You can also try to win the barkeep's trust by making a successful Dimplomacy check vs. DC 16, with a 2gp bribe earning you a +2 modifier.[/sblock]

[sblock=Jezebel]You can try to scare the info out of the barkeep with an intimidate check vs. DC 19.[/sblock]

[sblock="ooc Luinnar and Samursus, re: questions"]Luinnar, the way you've got your rolls formatted on invisible castle looks fine to me. You can title the link anything you want as long as I can see your results.

Samursus, sorry your power got nerfed. You should probably go ahead and update your sheet though, as the L4W charter states that official updates from wizards are approved immediately.[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
"Aye, a boat I can help ye with guv. Me names Cap'n Harge, and I be the cap'n of the Red Thunder. A fine vessel she is, and she'll see ye ta where yer going. As for my fee, that depends on when ye'd like ta set sail. If yer lookin' ta leave in this weather I reckon I'll have ta double me usual fee. Let's call it four gold coins a head, for a total of twenty. That'll take ye ta any of the Proximate Isles. You won't be findin a better deal than that anywhere I'll wager. Whaddaya say guv?"

[sblock="Streetwise 14."]Roll.[/sblock]

What's the catch?!? Alnar says loudly. I'm not so wet behind the ears to spot a shady deal when I see one! He says glaring at the captain and his associates.

[sblock="Intimidate 19"]
Intimidate 19
Trying to either see what he is up to or scare him enough to not try anything he is planning.[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
Jezebel first answers the elderly halfling. "I am not a sailor, and none of my companions have claimed to be either. Even if we did purchase your 'old wreck,' we would need a sailing master." She pauses a moment to look at her new allies, wondering if they might in fact have some hidden talents.

She is less cordial to the barkeep. After he questions the group's trustworthiness, she advances slowly toward the aproned man. "We'll get what we want whether you trust us or not. But it would have been easier on you if you didn't insult our integrity so quickly..." By the time Jezebel finishes speaking, she is only inches away from the man's face, her arms crossed in annoyance.

[sblock=intimidate 26]Looks like I missed the insight check, but the intimidate should be good enough. After I rolled streetwise, I realized that you meant only Alnar was in range to make it. So just ignore that roll. :p
I like how the paladins both have Intimidate trained instead of Diplomacy. So much for us being ambassadors, lol.
Streetwise 14; Insight 10; Intimidate 26[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
"I cannot speak for those who are currently in my company besides the fact, for their own reasons, have decided to embark on a noble quest which would save the lives of many." A bit of skepticism comes across in the Dragonborn's voice as well as irritation with Jezebel.

"However I am Raiko son of Gathar. I trained at the Academy of Radiant Light in the Jade Empire and fought against the Oni for the last few years seeking out evil whereever I could find it. Any friend you entrust to us would be protected. Even if I need to cut down those around me."

[sblock=ooc]Diplomacy 21 Thats a nat 20, highest he can roll.

Raiko will not be offering any bribes I'm afraid, and reserves intimidation for those who have proven themselves to be aggressive/evil.[/sblock]

samursus

Explorer
What's the catch?!? Alnar says loudly. I'm not so wet behind the ears to spot a shady deal when I see one! He says glaring at the captain and his associates.

[sblock="Intimidate 19"]
Intimidate 19
Trying to either see what he is up to or scare him enough to not try anything he is planning.[/sblock]

Ferris, not trusting the man Alnar is talking with, feels his blood stir. Although he has just met the brash young human, he considers this group his pack, and if there is to be a fray, the pack must fight together.

With a low growl, Ferris stands and casually walks to stand behind Alnar.

[sblock=Aid Another-Intimidate: Failed]

1d20-1=0 [/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
In the Back

"Easy guv, easy," Alnar's raised voice certainly does seem to have made Harge a bit worried. Unfortunately it has also attracted the attention of his mates, who have broken off their game of dagger toss to gather in a semi-circle behind their captain. The stare menacingly at Alnar and Ferris.

"Now, we wouldn't want things to get ugly guv. Me and me crew are just making ye a friendly offer is all. No need fer shouting. See, the Red Thunder she's a cargo ship, but right now we got no cargo. I need to put a bit of jingle in the pockets of me crew here, otherwise they'll get restless. That's why I'm offering ta deliver ye and yer mates to where yer going, savvy? It's a good deal, yes. But that's no reason fer ye and yer furry friend here to get yer blood up," Harge says nodding to Ferris with a slight smirk on his face.

[sblock="Ferris - or Insight 22"]Something about the captain's speech still rings false, despite his friendly words.[/sblock]

At the Bar

The bartenders lip quivers as Jezebel looms toward him menacingly, "I don't want no trouble miss," he says holding up his hands in a placating gesture.

He then addresses Raiko, "Look I don't know nothing about no quests or no academies in the Jade Empire, but you seem an honest sort, maybe too honest for my mate who needs help. But both you and your friend seem more than capable of fending for yourselves," he says with another fearful look back at Jezebel.

"Here's the thing. A friend of mine, tiefling by the name of Berekis, he seems to have himself a bit of trouble with the customs authority. Now most of the time he's just an honest merchant, bringing in goods to Daunton from all over the Shifting Seas. But, every now and again he smuggles in a bit of Starweed from Bacarte to give his crew a bit of a bonus, you might say. Trouble is the customs checkers, they suspect him, but they got no proof so they can't pin a charge on him. Even so, they've decided to detain his ship, the Swiftcurrent, over at the inner harbor to make a thorough inspection of his cargo holds."

"Now Berekis, he's put the word out to the right people, myself included, that he needs departure papers to get the Swiftcurrent out of hock with the City Watch. In return for gettin him these papers, he's willing to offer passage aboard his ship to any destination, no questions asked. Just a quick smash and grab, to break into the custom's office and forge some departure papers ought to do the trick. Then ya just bring them to Berekis down at the inner docks."

"Course if you fancy yourself above such things, you can always take your chances with Harge and his crew," says the barkeep with a quick flick of his eyes over to where Alnar and Ferris are speaking with the menacing-looking group of sailors. "He'll get you where you're going, and cheap too. You're not going to find many other crews willing to set sail in this weather."

Remove ads