Adventure Path - The Shackled City

Ry

Explorer
Kalte talks as he walks on with Ruphus: "Alright, I'm sure they'll find us pretty quick... dragging corpses and all."

"So, Ruphus, you from this city?"

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
Demetrius, still a little skeptical about the attack, shrugs it off and chips in to help out.

"I agree that we just need to take the leader with us, however, wouldn't the other two thugs come looking for vengeance? Will the town guard handle this just on our word?"

Tucking away his sap and rubbing his hands together to warm them from the chill of the cold rain, the gnome surveys the limp bodies, "You know," he says scratching his chin,"if we just had a cart and a tarp we could haul off all three without too much trouble.Anyone know where we can scare up a cart on very short notice?"

Mimic

First Post
Blushing from the attention given to her Aleria keeps her eyes on the ground. "Its pretty obvious that these guys were up to no good, if Ruphos doesn't want to take them back to his church for questioning we should just hand them over to the next watch we see." She says as she follows the group.

shilsen

Adventurer
Philip notices Aleria's blush and grins inwardly, but makes no comment about it, focusing rather on slowing his pace to match that of Thurgosh. Hearing Demetrius' comment, he says, "Well, hopefully Ruphus can show us a route that'll let us drop the baggage off, so to say. And even though the watch may not trust random strangers - I'm new to the city myself - I hope the word of a priest of Cuthbert will be a little more reliable."

With a sideways glance at Thurgosh, he adds, "And a Heironean's too."

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
"I quite agree with your theory on the watch, Philip," Demetrius says quietly, peeking about for any possible onlookers (Spot: +4 ), "after all, I live in an old rum barrel, how credible do you think I am to the city guard? Whatever plan of action we take, I suggest we get a move on, to get out of the rain and to bring as little attention to this as possible."

jpwic

First Post
"A dwarves honour is just as long as his beard," he says while stroking it, "just remember so is his memory." With that he pulls the thug he is helping to drag over a paticularily large pothole.

Sebastian O

First Post
The Church of St. Cuthbert

OOC: Sorry no post last night, I just got home too late!

IC: A strange scene unfolds as the group makes its way forth from the alley onto Magma Ave. Kalte trudges slowly, dragging two of the downed thugs by the pantlegs, while Thurgosh and Philip share the burden of the third.

"It shouldn't be difficult to locate a town guard patrol, they've been on heightened alert since the kidnappings started," states Ruphus.

Sure enough, the party only gets as far as a half block, before a group of armed men makes its way toward them from up the street. Demetrius spots them first [Spot Check roll 8+4=12]. The patrol consists of five men, each wearing a breastplate emblazoned with the symbol of a watchful eye wreathed in flames. They carry halberds, short swords, and shortbows. None of them look too thrilled about being on patrol duty on this miserable night.

The sergeant of the patrol reacts immediately as soon as he sees the bizarre situation. His halberd thrust out before him, he shouts out, "Halt! You there, state your business!" Ruphus immediately intervenes, however, and the tension is diffused right away. The cleric briefly details the events of the evening so far, and the sergeant nods thoughtfully as he speaks. A couple of the guards eye the assortment of adventurers behind Ruphus with a bit of skepticism, but Ruphus' sincerity sways them. It's clear that the sergeant not only believes what he is told, but that the church of St. Cuthbert must carry a good deal of respect in the city. With a quick order to his men, the thugs are quickly bound with strong rope back to back, and readied to be taken in for questioning. Looking at the face paint on the thugs, the sergeant muses, "Looks like the Last Laugh might be involved, but these brutes don't quite seem their usual style."

He continues, "On the testimony of so many witnesses, we can bring these three in on assault charges, at the least. We'll have to see if we can get them to confess to anything more serious." Turning to the group, he adds, "Your help tonight is much appreciated. The situation could have turned ugly if you hadn't intervened." Then to Ruphus, "Brother Laro, we sure appreciate all that the church is doing to help with these kidnappings. I'd suggest you get straight back to the temple now, and stay safe and dry. Have a good evening, thanks again."

Leaving the guards to deal with the thugs, the group moves onward, following Ruphus as he leads the way to the temple.

rycanada said:
Kalte:"So, Ruphus, you from this city?"

"Not originally, no. I was placed here by the church a little over three years ago, now."

It's only a couple of blocks further to the group's destination. The two-story church of St. Cuthbert, its white marble walls suffused with veins of vivid blue, stands in stark contrast to the buildings of bare black stone that flank it on the north end of Obsidian Avenue. A pair of white marble statues depicting armored warriors stand on either side of the temple's heavy oaken door. Each of the statues raises a great mace to the darkening sky. Above the door's marble architecture are boldly inscribed the following words in Common: WITHIN LAW LIVES HOPE.

"Won't you please come inside?" invites Ruphus. "I'm sure that acting high priest Jenya would like to speak with you."

(Assuming you do so...)

Upon entering the temple, Ruphus is greeted by an acolyte. "Stebben, please make these friends of mine comfortable, I must speak with Jenya." Ruphus hurries away to report what has happened to him. The acolyte leads the party to a small but comfortable sitting room that has a fire crackling cheerily in the fireplace. Soon, blankets and hot tea are provided and the group is able to begin to get warm and dry. "I'm sure Ruphus will return momentarily," says the acolyte, and then he departs.

OOC: Whew, that's kind of a long post, but I wanted to keep things moving. We'll pause here to allow you all to interject thoughts, reactions, or dialogue pertaining to the town guard encounter, or the arrival at the temple. Once you've done that, we'll move on.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
As soon as they are indoors, Philip speaks the words of a prestidigitation spell, and moments later, his clothing begins to dry around him. By the time they have spent a minute indoors, his formerly sodden garb is clean and spotless. "Better living through magic, I always say," he comments to those around him.

Once they are comfortably placed in the sitting room and holding cups of tea - which he promptly spices with his spell - he settles down in a comfortable position near Aleria and asks her, "So are you new to Cauldron too? I just got here a few minutes before hearing Ruphus yell for help. Planning to stay long?"

Ry

Explorer
Kalte shrugs and drinks his tea. "Hadn't really thought about it. I spend most of the time on the move, but if I can find a decent place to stay, or somebody that needs a good fighter, I'd stick around. What's your name, anyway?" (addressing Philip).

shilsen

Adventurer
rycanada said:
Kalte shrugs and drinks his tea. "Hadn't really thought about it. I spend most of the time on the move, but if I can find a decent place to stay, or somebody that needs a good fighter, I'd stick around. What's your name, anyway?" (addressing Philip).
Philip grins in a friendly fashion at the big warrior and replies, "Philip Yendis, at your service."

Looking a little more closely at Kalte, he says, "By the way, don't you think you should get that cut on your arm looked at? I assume it's painful, even for one as obviously strong as yourself."

Remove ads