(Adventure) Pest removal at unusual height and depth

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The bald girl who had earlier brought you the wine leads you though the city to the dock area, where you see that it is low tide. Following her under one of the older docks, you find a well dressed gnome and two dwarven laborers awaiting you beside an old but obviously sturdy metal door set into a stone wall. At a nod from Kiki, the gnome begins opening a series of locks, with both keys and combinations, then steps back and tells the dwarves curtly "Do it."

With an bone shivering screech, the door is pulled open, and you notice too late that the gnome has not only stepped aside, but pulled a wet hankerchief from his pocket over his nose. Those of you closest to him smell lemon on the cloth before the smell from the doorway overwhelems it.

(everyone make a fort save, dc 12 or the stale, rotted air rolling out of the sewer nauseates you for several rounds.)

Those of you not distracted by trying not to throw up hear the sounds of something skittering away from the noise and sudden light.

Pbartender

First Post
Fort Save: 9 +3 = 12. It's good to be a halfling.

Jack grimaces as his stomach lurches. He lets out a faint belch that he swallows back down to prevent it from becoming a full-fledged retch. "Smells like Gammer's lutefisk," he remarks.

He fishes a small lantern out of his pack, and opens its shutter to reveal an already burning flame. With his sword in one hand and the light in the other, he quietly slips on ahead into the sewer, alert for the imminent danger lurking in the shadows...

OOC: I realize the light won't help hiding very much, but...
Hide +15, Move Silently +13, Listen +8, Spot +6.

silentspace

First Post
Fort Save: 16 + 2 = 18. Are we doing our own rolling?

Mintrik scowls at the stench. I thought these sewers were no longer used? [OOC: What kind of stench is it?]

Seeing the halfling light a lantern and start to move forward, Mintrik offers to hold the lantern for him.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
silentspace said:
Fort Save: 16 + 2 = 18. Are we doing our own rolling?

Mintrik scowls at the stench. I thought these sewers were no longer used? [OOC: What kind of stench is it?]

Seeing the halfling light a lantern and start to move forward, Mintrik offers to hold the lantern for him.

You won't always be rolling for yourself, but since this is a largely rp check that applies to everyone it seemed appropriate. (it also allows me to do a roll call of sorts and make sure everyone checks in before we move on.)

the smell is a lovely combination of rat waste, death, molds and fungus and possibly a hint of something thats been inconviently walking around while it decomposes... Lovely stuff, especially when trapped in the wet underground with little to no airflow. ;)

Pbartender

First Post
silentspace said:

The funny thing is, the halfling never actually lit the lantern. Obviously, it must be some sort of magic effect.

[A DC 22 Spellcraft check will tell you the following...]
It's just a continual flame spell cast on a lantern instead of a stick. Handy, since the lantern has shutters to cut off the light, when stealth is required.

Jack responds to Mintrik's offer with an odd look... He's obviously uncomfortable about something, but exactly what it is, you couldn't say. "Oh no, Mister Mintrik, sir," He blurts out finally. "I wouldn't want you takin' on a burden that's rightly mine to bear. But I'll be thankin' you kindly all the same."

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Shadowlyn Female Halfling Rogue

Kahuna Burger said:
With an bone shivering screech, the door is pulled open, and you notice too late that the gnome has not only stepped aside, but pulled a wet hankerchief from his pocket over his nose. Those of you closest to him smell lemon on the cloth before the smell from the doorway overwhelems it.

(everyone make a fort save, dc 12 or the stale, rotted air rolling out of the sewer nauseates you for several rounds.)

Those of you not distracted by trying not to throw up hear the sounds of something skittering away from the noise and sudden light.

Shadowlyn, seeing the door open and the smell escape, immediately covers her mouth and nose with her cloak. The smells are terrible, but she holds her meal in. (Rolled 17+2=19)

Hearing the sounds of the scurrying animal, she follows the lantern bearer, trying to be alert as possible and listen for any other sounds from the entryway. Her dog Shilo keeps close to her, as a reaction. (13 rolled for him, so I didn't even look at his mod, as it should be ok)

Last edited:

Other Guy

First Post
(OOC)Fort save = (19)+4=23 = easy success(/OOC)

“Alright,” Loskrad says, moving forward. He pauses for a moment, disgusted by the smell, but easily suppresses the feeling in his nose. Hearing the noises ahead, he immediately moves to the front of the group and prepares himself for whatever may come. “Since I’m still just a fighter, I suppose I’ll take the front. Wanna’ share it with me, Jack?”

(OOC)Ack, I’m really sorry to do this on such sort notice, but I will be away for about three weeks starting on the 29th of this month. I may have access to a computer, but there’s also a good chance I won’t. I’m not sure what you would want to do with Loskrad during that time. Would you want to just have him become a temporary NPC and not receive any EXP or treasure? Again, I’m sorry for this.(/OOC)

Torlax

First Post
Reilin becomes nauseated by the terrible stench of the sewers. After vomiting a couple times, he seems to be somewhat woozy, trying to fight off the odor.

Remove ads