• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Scratching the Surface (Judge: Stonegod)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Spring looks at everyone with a baleful eye a moment before going back to normal.
OOC: Looks like someone needs a judge.

renau1g

First Post
Riaan waits while the others go about their business, the human appearing bored with their surroundings. He swats a buzzing insect away and continues with the group.

OOC: I don't need anything

pacdidj

First Post
Having less need for protection from insects and poisons than his fleshy companions, Crush instead peruses the bazaar with Ryk and Varis, attempting to chat up the locals and learn more about the mining mishaps. But, they are a suspicious lot, and the most he manages to coax out of them is some grudgingly polite chit-chat about the weather.

Streetwise (1d20+6=12)

Almightyfoon

First Post
Serek breaths deep the swampy air, it reminds him of home to an extent. The swamp smells are different, but the feel is the same. His scaly hide protects him the bulk of the insects biting the rest of the group.

Son of Meepo

First Post
The locals are a friendly, industrious people, mostly orcs and humans with several generations of half-orcs. They have been instilled with a reverence for nature by their ancestors and a spirit of industriousness that sparked the rise of House Tharashk in this part of the world.

The member of House Tharashk tend to be just as hard-working, making a vast profit in the harsh environment that is the Shadow Marches.

The mercenaries however are less receptive to your inquiries. They are paid well, but after months in a hot, humid swamp, filled with biting insects, even money doesn't by good humor.

You learn that the people here know only vague rumors about what is going on in Sourl'ash, a small village that is nearly a week away by river ferry. Their knowledge of events amounts to little more than you already know.

You are put up in an inn for the night and early the next morning you depart the relative safety of Zarash'ak for the untamed wilds of the Crawling Swamp.

OOC: I just need a marching order and then we can get to the action.

Vertexx69

First Post
OOC: Karananak will take up the 2nd position to use his keen observation.[sblock=Suggested Order:]By no means is anyone else locked into this.

Riaan (Human)
Karananak (Wilden)
Serek (Dragonborn)
Varis (Half-elf)
Crush (Warforged)
Ryk (Hafling)
Spring (Velociraptor)

And I'd also like to suggest that instead of everyone making separate perception rolls, we all use "Aid Another DC 10" to help the character with the best perception mod (Karananak with +12). This would get the mod up to +22 (+24 if spring can help too) on a single check if everyone succeeds, instead many rolls with only +2 to +10.

@ meepo - do those with 9+ skill mods need to roll to assist since they can't fail even on a 1?[/sblock]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock=Aid Another]Aid another is no longer vs static DC 10: Its vs DC 10 + 1/2 level of the check (so, if SoM decided it was 4th, it would be DC 12, etc, etc.).[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
And I'd also like to suggest that instead of everyone making separate perception rolls, we all use "Aid Another DC 10" to help the character with the best perception mod (Karananak with +12). This would get the mod up to +22 (+24 if spring can help too) on a single check if everyone succeeds, instead many rolls with only +2 to +10.

For active perception rolls (such as searching for traps), that is fine. Just remember in most ambush situations, it is the ambusher's active stealth roll against your passive perception. I won't allow aid another on passive checks.

As far as companions/familiars assisting, generally I only allow them to assist the character that owns such a creature unless a convincing case can be made otherwise.

Vertexx69

First Post
OOC: I did mean to say for active perception specifically (traps, hidden doors etc.). In Karananak's 1st adventure everyone went off on their own to search the key room individually, and then couldn't assist the ppl with good mods when we got there after they had failed. Just trying to save this group that embarrassment, learning from past mistakes and all. :p

Remove ads