[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

Dekana

Explorer
OOC: I did see Kane the swordmage / wizard entering the tavern, if we want a defender to replace Alkas (half a defender anyway). I'm in favor of adding one more.

Pentius

First Post
OOC: I am pro-recruitment, whether it be Kane or not. Grom and I have a friend(TheWalrus) who would also be glad to join us.

GROMkill

First Post
OOC: I'm cool with recruitment. As Pentius said, we have a friend who has been wanting to jump into PbP with us, but if we decide to take Kane, then no biggie.

Mewness

First Post
Dartmoor moves to get a better view of the large spider, struggling to see it as the poison drips down his face. “Get over there, wait for the big one to jump, and then get ‘em!” he commands. The Irregulars rush through the undergrowth to the area in front of Noriaki, pikes at the ready.

The big spider tenses, one instinct vying with another in its limited consciousness.

Hú Lí, Noriaki, and Irregulars stand poised, with flute, sword, and spears.

A strange hush falls upon the jungle for the briefest of moments.

The spider, unable to resists the juicy target caught in its web, springs upon Noriaki. In a blur of speed, he slashes upward at it as it descends, but it pushes his sword aside with two legs just as he bursts free of the web and rolls away from the spider’s blow. Hú Lí produces a sudden screeching note on her flute, but the spider does not react, and it likewise ignores the Irregulars’ spears. Time seems to slow down as blows are exchanged; but at the end, the only casualty is the little spider, crushed by the Irregulars’ charge.

Dartmoor manages to clear the poison from his face, though he is struck again by the spittle. Another spider spits directly into Noriaki’s eyes, making them sting horribly.

OOC: Note that the web in Noriaki’s square (K14) is now gone.

I'm going to open recruitment. Pentius and GROMkill, if your friend can get a character together quickly, I may add him/her, but I'll probably pick whichever available character seems most useful to the group (I think a striker would be best, or maybe a controller if twilsemail wants Dartmoor to be more strikery).

[sblock=actions and rolls]Dartmoor: minor to roll Perception (-10 blinded) (1d20+8-10=0). Well, couldn’t hurt to try.

Move: to E18.

Standard: Ready Grasping Tide to go off on Spitter 3 when the big spider moves (preferably getting them both, but getting the little spider in any case).

End of turn: save vs. blinded (1d20=14) succeeds.

Joompin Spider: Joomp to L14.

Noriaki’s readied action: escalataing violence vs AC, jumping spider (-2 restrained); damage (1d20+7-2=6, 2d12+4=21), oof. Natural 1. Heroic Effort will not help.

Dartmoor’s readied action: grasping tide vs Fort, Spitter 3, jumping spider; damage (1d20+4=23, 1d20+4=13, 1d6+4=10). Spitter 3 dies, jumping spider is missed.

Joompin Spider: bite vs AC, Noriaki (+2 CA, -2 marked); damage (1d20+7+2-2=10, 1d8+4=12) miss. (Forgot vicious mockery, but that didn’t make any difference.)

Hú Lí’s readied action: blunder vs. Will, jumping spider; damage (1d20+4=6, 1d6+4=5) miss.

Joompin Spider: bite (second attack of double attack) vs AC (+2 CA, -2 marked, -2 mockery), Noriaki; damage (1d20+7+2-2-2=7, 1d8+4=12) miss.

Spitter 1: poison spit vs AC (+2 CA), Dartmoor (1d20+9+2=17) hit for 5 poison. Move and hide.

Spitter 4: poison spit vs AC, Castile (1d20+9=17) miss. Move and hide.

Spitter 5: poison spit vs AC, Noriaki (1d20+9+2=31), crit. Noriaki takes 5 poison and is blinded (save ends).

Invisible Castle will be signing autographs and posing for pictures with fans in the lobby after the show.[/sblock]

[sblock=Special rules and terrain]NPCs: As a minor action, you can command any NPC to take a move. Or, at your option, you can move an NPC at the same time as your character moves, if that NPC is in your way. No NPC can take more than two moves a round.

Terrain Rules
The dark green terrain is heavy undergrowth. It is difficult terrain. A creature who is prone in this terrain gains concealment. If there are at least two squares of heavy undergrowth between such a creature and an observer, the prone creature gains total concealment with respect to that observer.

The light brown areas are relatively clear and count as normal terrain.

The dark brown circles are trees; they are blocking terrain.

The webs look like they will slow you down at the very least; should you enter a square containing a web, you can consult the spoiler block in the Enemies and Hazards section to learn its specific effects. Note that all the webs are in heavy undergrowth squares; the heavy undergrowth has its usual effects in addition to the web effects.[/sblock]

[sblock=Perception 28]There is a small spider hidden in E13.[/sblock]
[sblock=Perception 12]There is a small spider hidden in K18.[/sblock]
[sblock=Perception 30]There is a small spider hidden in N21.[/sblock]

[sblock=status]PCs
Alkas (A18) HP 35/35; surges 10/13
Castile (L11) HP 31/33; surges 9/13
Dartmoor (E18) HP 18/28; surges 8/10
Hú Lí (I14) HP 24/24; surges 6/8
Noriaki (K14) HP 14/27; surges 2/9; swift panther rage, blinded (save ends)
Takahaan (J13) HP 9/24; surges 3/8; bloodied, total defense

NPCs
Aerys (A17) HP 24/29; surges 9/11
Gelik (D17) HP 6/22; surges 3/6, bloodied, prone
Ishirou (C18) HP 19/24; surges 5/7
Jade (C17) HP 28/28; surges 6/10
Sasha (E18) HP 18/23; surges 4/6

Bad Guys
Jumping Spider (L14), 8 damage taken, marked by Castile, AP spent
Spiderling Swarms 1, 2 dead
Spitters 2, 3 dead
Spitters 1, 4, 5 hidden
[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy Stats]Please read the appropriate block(s) only when necessary to resolve attacks or OAs, or when you enter a square containing a web.

[sblock=Jumping Spider]Joompin Spider
AC 17, Fort 17, Ref 16, Will 13; HP 56, bloodied 28
:bmelee: bite +7 vs. AC, 1d8+3 damage and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends)

[sblock=When spider is bloodied]Nothing special happens. Gotcha![/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Spidering Swarm]Spiderling Swarm
AC 14, Fort 14, Ref 15, Will 10; HP 44, bloodied 22
Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 5 to close and area attacks
Aura 1: each enemy that starts its turn in the aura takes 5 damage +2 extra damage per additional swarm adjacent to the enemy
:bmelee: Swarm of Fangs +4 vs. AC, 1d6+2 damage and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). A creature already taking poison damage is also weakened (save ends). The swarm’s attack deals 2 extra damage for each additional swarm adjacent to the target.
[sblock=When hit by an area or close attack]The swarm shifts reactively. Please wait for me to resolve this.[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Spitter]Spitter
AC 16, Fort 13, Ref 16, Will 13; HP 1 (minion)
:bmelee: Bite +7 vs. AC, 5 poison damage
Note: The spitters are quite small and can gain concealment/total concealment from heavy undergrowth as though they are prone.[/sblock]
[sblock=Web Hazard]When you enter a web, it makes an opportunity attack against you:
Sticky Web Attack: +4 vs. Reflex
Hit: you are restrained (save ends)
Miss: you are slowed until the end of your turn.
Special: when you are restrained by a web and succeed on your save, the web in your square is destroyed.

Restrained: you are immobilized, grant CA, take a -2 penalty to attack rolls, and cannot be pushed, pulled, or slid.[/sblock][/sblock]

Attachments

• jungle map6.jpg
    jungle map6.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 103

GROMkill

First Post
Noticing his friend's injury, Takahaan tries to rouse his morale. "Fight through the pain, Noriaki. The agony is short-lived, but our honor will be eternal!"

Takahaan sees the spider up close this time, just out of his reach. Trying his hand at expertly weaving through the foliage and undergrowth around Noriaki, a web catches him. Foiling his efforts to get the jump on the spider, Takahaan grunts, irritated.

"Hnrggh!" he cries, thrashing about the vine-like webbing, trying to work his way out. Realizing it is a futile attempt, Takahaan takes the opportunity he has to aim carefully and swing his nodachi at the spider, piercing it.

Turning toward his nearest allies, he shouts at them. "Get that damned spider for me! End him! Now!"

[sblock=Takahaan's Actions]Minor: Perception roll: 1d20-1=10. Fail.

Move: Walk to K15.

Web Hazard attacks: 1d20+4=22. Dang, restrained.

Standard: Intuitive Strike on Joompin Spidah, 1d20+5=14. 14 vs. 13 will, Hit, 1d10=9 for 9 damage! :D

Saving Throw: 1d20=9 Well, this turn blows.[/sblock][sblock=Takahaan]Takahaan Thanazashi Male Dragonborn Bravura Warlord 1
Initiative: +2
Passive Perception: 9
Passive Insight: 10
Senses: Normal

AC:17
Fort:15
Reflex:13
Will:15
HP:9/24
Bloodied:12
Surge Value:7
Surges left:4/8
Action Points: 1
Brash Assault
Intuitive Strike

Dragon Breath [x]
Inspiring Word [x]
Vengeance Is Mine[x]

Lamb to the Slaughter[][/sblock]

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
OOC: [MENTION=6676989]GROMkill[/MENTION]: restrained doesn't prevent attacks, so you should be able to get an attack in with your standard action. Castile is flanking with Takahaan now.

Castile treads carefully into the web closest to the jumping spider, but her caution does not save her from getting caught up in the strands again. Regardless, she is now just within reach of the large spider. Castile slams her axe into its back in a direct hit.

[sblock=Castile stat block / actions]Actions
Move: walk to M13, into a web. She is restrained. (1d20+4=24)

Standard: Crushing Surge vs Jumping Spider hits AC 18 for 11 damage, it's marked TENT, and Castile gains 8 THP. (1d20+7+2-2=18;1d12+7=11)

End of turn: Saving throw vs restrained fails. (1d20=9)

PC:Castile (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Dwarf Fighter 1
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 12
AC:18, Fort:16, Reflex:13, Will:12, +5 saves vs poison, Speed:5
HP:31+8/33, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:9/13
Initiative +1
Action Points: 0 (encounter)

Conditions
Restrained (save ends)

Powers
MBA: Waraxe, +7 vs AC, 1d12+7 damage (see Combat notes below)
RBA: Waraxe, +7 vs AC, 1d12+7 damage, 6/12
Combat Challenge
Crushing Surge, Weapon Master's Strike
Dwarven Resilience, Hack and Hew
Dwarven Thrower Waraxe, Villain's Menace

Combat notes: +2 melee/close damage if Castile has THP, +2 to attack roll on OAs, OAs stop enemy movement[/sblock]

twilsemail

First Post
OOC: Sorry for the slow responses. I told the players over in shoeshine that work's been heinous recently. It looks like we'll be done in the lab today or tomorrow.

Tired of sending his men in to attack without him, the Captain surges forward. His men cheer and follow him, crying out in bloodlust. The swarming fae find a spider hiding in the brush and set upon it with swords, spears and clubs. Even Jeremy gets a blow in with his surprisingly sturdy fiddle.

Their lust for gore and glory not quite quenched, they charge deeper into the foliage. They find the prize here and set upon the Jumping Spider that has been harrying their allies. Fae off all sizes (well, mostly small sizes) jump onto the beast and pin it to the ground as best they are able.

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Switch to Beast Form
Move: Move to I21
Standard: Charge K18 (ending in K19); Grasping Claws * 17 vs. Reflex * 7 and slowed UENT Irregulars
AP: Charge Joomper (ending in M15); Grasping Claws * 24 vs. Reflex * 8 and slowed UENT Irregulars

[sblock=Dartmoor Irregulars]Dartmoor Irregulars – Piskie Swarm (Druid) 1
Passive Insight: 13, Passive Perception: 18
AC:16 Fort:13 Ref:14, Will:14 -- Speed:6
HP:18/28, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges Left: 8/10
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers:
Grasping Tide
Grasping Claws
Swarming Locusts
Scattered Form
Summon Giant Toad
Fiddlin’ Grig
Conditions:
Notes: -3 damage from melee/ranged attacks in Beast Form
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
GM: One thing I forgot about was Hú Lí's virtue of cunning. (Ben, could you put a note in your stat block?) Noriaki can slide 1 before the start of his turn if he likes.

twilsemail: looks like you only rolled 1d20+4 for the first attack rather than +5. (You need the extra +1 in this case, because the little spider had concealment.) Anyway, carry on =)

GROMkill

First Post
OOC: Ah, I was mistaken about the restrained condition. Am I still allowed to attack with my standard action, or should I wait until next turn and forget about my error?

Remove ads