(Adventure) The Burning Tower (Knight Otu Judging) [Concluded]

nimisgod

LEW Judge
"I cannot tell thee exactly how many, milady. But I hath only used this item of magick in rare occasion. Worry not for this wand's store. Thine own health is more important than a carved stick." Ishmael replied politely, then spent divine energies upon the noblewoman twice more.

"Perhaps, t'would be prudent to divide the healing items amongst us. I mean only modesty in mine own ability but should I fall I am uncertain of who else would be able to use this curing wand. Be there anyone else with healing magicks?"

That said, Ishmael took out a small clay jar labeled "Healing Salve". He offered to loan it to Persephone, to ensure that if the halfling was knocked senseless, that he would be revived (assuming he was not dead). The jar had two doses of the salve within.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
nimisgod said:
"I cannot tell thee exactly how many, milady. But I hath only used this item of magick in rare occasion. Worry not for this wand's store. Thine own health is more important than a carved stick." Ishmael replied politely, then spent divine energies upon the noblewoman twice more.

"The question was a tactical one, Ishmael," says Fant dryly. "But in any case," she continues with increasing vigor as she feels her body heal, "Get everyone up to close to full strength. Persephone, I know you've expended most of your efforts at this point, but I think it best to push on as long as we can, lest the catastrophe escape containment. Now...." she says, and walks over to take a look at the grid. "Any ideas as what to make of this? I think it's fairly safe to say it's a way of going further. Perhaps..." she touches one of the inert squares and attempts to either shift or, failing that, remove it, and see if there is any effect on the wall of fire and ice.

Patlin

Explorer
Touching one of the black squares, fant is able to slide it towards a white square. The two switch positions. No immediate effect on the wall of energy is noted.

Manzanita

First Post
Persephone

"Oooo, sorry about distracting you, Fant." Persephone is genuinely remorsefull. "I'm so glad you're OK." She turns her large blue eyes to Ismael, and says with feeling, "Thank you so much. Whatever would we do without you, Sir Ismael?"

Back to the pattern. "OK. Honestly, I don't know much about magic. But how 'bout this. The red and white seem to cause some reaction when the touch. If we were to move all 8 of the red squares to the top two rows, and all 8 of the white squares to the bottom two rows, and put the four black squares in the middle row, then no reds and whites would touch. Perhaps this would neutralize the fire and ice defenses. Worth a shot?"

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Fant accepts her apology with a shrug. "It is of no concern, your majesty. I should not have removed my attention from the enemy." As to the puzzle, "I was thinking something along similar lines. My only hope is that we do not have to figure out some sort of pattern other than simple seperation, as guessing is tedious and time may well me of the essence." She begins quickly and confidently moving the squares around.

Zweischneid

First Post
Back to the pattern. "OK. Honestly, I don't know much about magic. But how 'bout this. The red and white seem to cause some reaction when the touch. If we were to move all 8 of the red squares to the top two rows, and all 8 of the white squares to the bottom two rows, and put the four black squares in the middle row, then no reds and whites would touch. Perhaps this would neutralize the fire and ice defenses. Worth a shot?"

'I was thinking along the same lines mylady. And indeed, this might well be the solution.'
Morulas responds, his slender face a mask of thoughtful concern.

'On the other hand, it might just as well be, that the elemental forces are held in check by their own opposition.' he consideres with an eye to the actual elemental barriers.

'Unlocking Fire and Ice from their mutual deadlock might also unleash the full force of these elemental wards, likely incinerating and shockfrosting the whole floor to deadly effect if the towers previous traps are considered.'

Carefully studying the panel once more he concludes
'A riddle of life and death. Most interesting indeed!'

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Zweischneid said:
'On the other hand, it might just as well be, that the elemental forces are held in check by their own opposition.' he consideres with an eye to the actual elemental barriers.

Is Morulas objecting, or should I assume someone is trying the proposed solution?

Zweischneid

First Post
Morulas keeps looking back between the panels and the fiery-frozen ward, trying to make sense of the riddle.

'Could one quench the fire? Or melt the ice? How could Rilithorne pass this barrier comfortably when heading into his study or kitchen? Would he choose a letter or rune to unlock the gate?'

Shaking his head with frustration, the elf doesn't seem to be able to come up with a satisfying solution.

------------------------------------​

Is Morulas objecting, or should I assume someone is trying the proposed solution?

He's hesitating at least. Wanna get some more opinions on this if possible.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Ishmael smiled warmly at Persephone's affirmation of him. "My thanks, milady. The same could be said of thee...hmm? Thine hand is injured, may I examine it?"

The halfling let positive energy flow from him into the princess' newest wound should Persephone let him do so.

ooc: Using lay on hands.

As for the "puzzle" his companions had found, he watched the rest work carefully. By experience, Ishmael knew too well that he often missed what others easily saw. He let the others do as they will. He watched the area around them for movement and tried to delve into what he knew of Arcane Lore for a clue to the "puzzle's" solution.

Last edited:

Remove ads