• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: The Lost Workshop (DM: Iron Sky, Judge: renau1g)

Antithetist

First Post
Kasha pauses for a moment, a finger pressed thoughtfully to her cheek as she regards the pedestals. "I wonder..."

Crouching down again, she fishes a gold piece from her belt pouch and presses it into one of the depressions. "Might be lucky we got some coin in advance, I reckon."

[sblock=OOC]Assuming the coin fits nicely into place, Kasha will enlist Shrakk's help in filling up all the pedestals with coins. I don't think we ever established whether we brought that chest full of coins with us; if not, will it be reasonably quick to fetch them from the boat?[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Regular gold coins are a little bit too small to fill the depressions. However, Frost and Seros are dispatched to find the coin chest from the boat. The coins from the boat fit the depressions perfectly and within a few minutes, all the pedestals are full... and nothing happens.

The coins fit too well for it to be a coincidence, but there seems to be something more to this...

Antithetist

First Post
"Hmph," Kasha pouts as the last coin is placed and the door still refuses to open. "Did you put your coins in right or what?"

She spends some time poking, pushing, pulling and twisting at various pedestals, wondering if the coin placement might have unlocked new functions, and then stops and narrows her eyes, scrutinising the pedestals as something occurs to her. "Hmm..."

Thoughtfully she picks a few coins from their slots and turns them over, examining their designs as she looks back and forth between the coins and the different pedestals.

[sblock=OOC]I've been assuming that the pedestals are anchored to the floor, or too heavy to move, but it occurs to me that I should double check that.

The pedestal designs on the map look distinctly similar to the designs on the coins in the picture on page 1. Is there by any chance a correspondence between different coin designs and different pedestal designs? If so, let's re-distribute the coins so that each pedestal is filled with coins of the matching design.[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
With the coins placed on the correct pedestals, there's a series of mechanical clicks inside the pedestals and the walls, then a deep grinding as the door slides aside. Inside is a ten cubic-foot metal box with a lever in it. Around the edges of the box there are a couple inches of space, a strong wind blowing up from the gap between the floor of the room and the floor of the box.

There's the distinct impression that this metal box is suspended over a large shaft that goes some unknown depth into the ground and is likely some sort of mechanical lift. Of all the places a lost workshop might be, this is the most promising seen so far.

Antithetist

First Post
"All right! Now we're talking," Kasha exclaims as the door begins to move. Her expression falls somewhat as she sees what awaits them beyond. "Nice deathtrap," she mutters sourly as she starts forward, testing the floor of the metal box with one tentative foot.

"Well, I don't see anywhere else to go..."

With a shrug, she strides into the box and ushers the others in. "Come on, move it, let's get this over with."

Once they're in, she offers up a quick mental prayer to whichever gods might be listening, and pulls the lever.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
As everyone steps into the metal box, it sways and clanks against the walls of the shaft its in disturbingly. When Kasha pulls the lever, there's more grinding of gears, the rattle of chains, then the lift drops several feet, causing everyone's stomach to lurch.

Whatever mechanism causes it to lower slowly then catches and the lift descends slowly, so slowly that the adrenaline of the initial lurch has faded and been replaced by boredom as the metal box clanks downwards...

[sblock=Check In]Just seeing who all we have left.

I know Antithetist and Sanzuo are around, though I'm not sure what your posting schedule looks like.

Otakkun, you still here? How frequently can you post? If you guys can only post a couple times a week, then I can adjust the pacing a bit to adapt to that. Just would like to know so we can finish off this adventure.

Also, in the off-chance that RickRoll or Farce show up again, post and let me know and I'll throw you guys back in.[/sblock]

Otakkun

Explorer
[sblock=OOC] I'm here. I usually can't post on weekends though. [/sblock]

Whoa! Shouts Shrakk as he feels his knees buckle at the sudden descent.

Well, at least it adjusted its speed. It wouldn't have been a nice sight had this thing dropped uncontrolled.

Be ready ... I'm guessing that as soon as this thing stops we're going to see more constructs once again.

Sanzuo

First Post
You've yet to have been in such a confined space with RAM TIGER before. Even on the ship there was more space, fresh air and plenty of distractions. Now, however, you're all too aware of his size and odor. The monotonous clamor of the elevator mechanism is interrupted repeatedly by the sound of the gnoll's gnawing, breaking wind and the tiny pinging sound of pea-sized dire fleas leaping out of his mangy coat and onto his companions.

Antithetist

First Post
Kasha wrinkles her nose, eyes narrowed sidelong at RAM TIGER as he lets off a long fart. With a shudder she tries to step away - colliding somewhat heavily with the wall - and swats at the air as she sights a giant flea leaping for her.

"How far does this blasted thing go down anyway?" she growls in venomous tones of irritation, flattening herself against the metal wall and fending off another flea.

Taking a deep breath (and immediately regretting it as her nostrils are assailed by the sour smell of unwashed gnoll) she does her best to put material discomforts out of her mind and focus on the fight that, as Shrakk has already predicted, most probably awaits them at the bottom of the shaft. She tests her sword's weight in her hand and keeps focused on the open side of the box, waiting...

Remove ads