[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: Late night. I'm going to bed. I'm sure this post is full of errors, as I am extremely tired. Let me know if I screwed anything up. I will retcon according to any corrections and/or immediate actions.

The battle is engaged. Mab ducks behind the bar and sends a dagger into one of the troublemakers that Draglin just hit.

he dragonborn's threats and significant prowess make him an instant target among the hooligans, "Aw...Yahr gonna get it alright!" Nearly the entire band of ruffians descends on Draglin, reducing him to a convulsing pile of scales: Breathing, but unable to move.

One man, from a corner of the room produces a nasty-looking cat-of-nine-tails, each tendril of which is tethered to dark shards of glass-like stone.

The leathery weapon slices though the air at Dante, but not nearly fast enough. The black-clad assassin uses his own flailing weapon to perry the blow, and, the chain-tethered blade having the advantage of being double-ended, makes Dante's attacker pay for the affront.

Yet another of the thugs goes after Dante. He hops up onto the bar and skips over to a nearby stool, nearly losing his footing. He manages to maintain his balance, but at the cost of his aim. His sword swings wide of the assassin, and the ruffian is left in a rather exposed position.

Virgil finds himself on the receiving end of punishment. Dante's trap, though effective, proves incapable of protecting his companion. The bladewielder powers through the deep cuts produced by the tangling snare, and scores a hit on the over-sized reptile.

A final straggler makes his way across the crowded common room, pounding max with his mace. The fighter's head begins to ring with the impact, and he sees stars.

GM: Auntie Mab's Initiative: 1d20+9=17
[sblock=Auntie Mab's Actions]Move: Shift to -U,-10
Minor: Draw Dagger
Standard: Fleeting Spirit Strike
Shift: to -V,-10 (Behind the bar and crouched)
Stealth: 1s20+21=22 But success is automatic vs. Human Ruffian
Target: Human Ruffian at R,-6
Attack: 1d20+16+2(CA)-2(Cover)=33 vs. AC for 2d4+7=13 damage
[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Actions]Human Ruffian 1
Minor: Draw mace
Standard: Dazzling Strike
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+14+2(Flanking)=20 vs. AC Miss
Move: Shift to -R,-5

Human Slavehunter
Minor: Draw whip
Move: Shift to -S,-10
Standard: Obsidian-toothed Whip
Target: Dante
Dante's Disruptive Strike: 1d20+16=29 vs. AC for 2d4+11=15 damage
Attack: 1d20+13-6(Dante's DS)=18 vs. Reflex Miss

Human Knife Fighter
Minor: Draw Knife
Move: Shift to -S,-6
Standard: Dance of the Knife
Attack 1: 1d20+15+2(CA)=30 vs. AC for 1d6+8+2d6(CA)=21 damage
Shift 1: to -S,-5, and then back to -S,-6
Attack 2: 1d20+15+2(CA)=23 vs. AC Miss
Shift 2: to -Q, -8

Human Ruffian 2

Minor: Draw Mace
Move: Shift to -S,-6
Attack: 1d20+14+2(Flanking)=30 vs. AC for 2d8+1+1d6(CA)=7 damage
Granted Shift: Waived

Human Blademaster 1
Minor: Draw blade
Standard: Dual Attack
Targets 1&2: Draglin
Attack 1: 1d20+14+2(Flanking)=36 vs. AC for 1d8+8+2d6(CA)=28 damage
Attack 2: 1d20+14+2(Flanking)=36 vs. AC for 1d8+8+2d6(CA)=28 damage
*EDIT* Draglin's IR knocks Blademaster 1 prone (damage updated in next post)
Granted Shift: Cannot shift because he is prone.
Move: Waived

Human Blademaster 2
Minor: Draw blade
Move: to -V,-5
Hunter's Thorn Trap: 8 damage and immobilized
Standard: Dual Attack
Targets 1&2: Virgil
Attack 1: 1d20+14=33 vs. AC for 1d8+8=9 damage
Attack 2: 1d20+14=21 vs. AC Miss
*EDIT* Dante's MBA does 16 damage (damage updated in next post)
Granted Shift: Can't. He's immobilized

Human Ruffian 3
Move: -W,-6 (Using 2 squares to get onto the bar)
Standard: Charge -V,-7 to -U,-6
Target: Dante
Attack: 1d20+14=21 vs. AC Miss

Human Ruffian 4:
Move: to -R,-7
Target: Max
Attack: 1d20+14=29 vs. AC for 2d8+1=9 damage
Granted Shift: to -Q,-6
[/sblock][sblock=status]Gloom -T,-8 81/81HP 11/11HS 1AP
Draglin -T,-7 -10/74HP 9/9HS 1AP Unconscious
Dante -T,-6 67/67HP 6/6HS 1AP
Virgil -U,-5 85/94 2/2HS
Auntie Mab -V,-10 60/60HP 7/7HS 1AP
Max -S,-7 58/67HP 8/8HS 1AP Dazed

Human Ruffian 1 -R,-5 88/96HP Dazzling Strike Marked by Draglin Cannot see Mab
Human Ruffian 2 -S,-6 53/96HP Dazzling Strike Marked by Draglin Dante's Quarry, Cannot see Mab
Human Ruffian 3 -U,-6 96/96HP Needs to roll Athletics DC 15 if Attacked
Human Ruffian 4 -Q,-6 96/96HP Dazzling Strike
Human Slavehunter -S,-10 88/103HP
Human Knife Fighter -Q,-8 206/214HP 1AP Marked by Draglin
Human Blademaster 1 -U, -4 86/94HP Prone, Marked by Draglin
Human Blademaster 2 -V,-5 86/94HP Immobilized UEO Dante's NT, Marked by Draglin
[/sblock][sblock=Map]
BarRoomBrawlRound2-2.png
[/sblock][sblock=Terrain: Please Read][sblock=Furniture]

• This will be treated as difficult terrain, but Creatures that are hit while standing in a square that is more than 1/4 occupied by a piece of furniture are subject to a DC 18 athletics check. Failure means that the creature falls prone in a random square adjacent to the piece of furniture and takes 1d6 points of damage.
  • Dropping (or falling) prone behind furniture gives you total concealment and superior cover against any creature on the opposite side of the furniture. From any angle, it provides normal cover, but no concealment. From the same side, you are simply prone.
  • Chairs and stools can be moved 1 square as a minor action, but tables and benches require a standard action. Moving anything further than one square expends a standard action and a move action. (I'm going to assume that everyone here is strong enough to move a table so no strength check ;)).
  • Chairs, stools, food, plates, cutlery, and mugs can be used as improvised weapons requiring a minor action to pick them up.
[/sblock][sblock=The Bar]More accurately, squares -v,-10 through -V,-6 and -W,-6 through -Z,-6.

• Hurdling the bar takes a 2 square jump check (Athletics DC 20), but, if successful, it allows a creature to continue its move without counting the square hurdled.
  • Failure means that you fall prone on top of the bar taking 1d6 points of damage (see Furniture).
  • Creatures can climb over the bar in 2 squares of movement (4 if you count the bar stools. Remember that bar stools are difficult terrain and are not included in this cost).
[/sblock][sblock=Wall Torches]

• These can be used as improvised weapons.
  • To remove a torch requires a minor action.
  • Hitting with a torch does 1d4 fire damage.
  • If a torch is used as a ranged weapon, it can possibly set fire to something. On a roll of 1 with a d6, the target square becomes a zone in which any creature passing through the zone takes 1d4 fire damage. Every round thereafter, a 1d4 is rolled. On a roll of 1, the zone grows to an adjacent square.
[/sblock][sblock=Bystanders]

• Bystanders are the ones without illuminated bases.
  • Bystanders are unarmed, and were either curious as to the outcome of the fight, but unwilling to engage, or they were trapped in the bar before they could get out,...or they are asleep in a drunken stupor, unaware of what is happening.
  • For every bystander hit (whether you do it or not), the party loses 100XP (after doubling) from the encounter total.
  • For every bystander killed (whether you do it or not), the party loses an additional 400XP(after doubling) from the encounter total.
[/sblock][sblock=Kitchen]

• The kitchen is behind a bar with a stove/oven visible and stairway leading up (Remember you're looking for a cellar). The oven is hot. Being pushed or slid into it deals you 1d6 damage.
  • The rest of the kitchen is not yet viewable from your vantagepoint.
[/sblock][sblock=Door to the Northwest]

• You are, as of yet, uncertain where this door leads.
  • Breakdown requires a DC 20 strength check.
  • Picking requires a DC 20 Thievery check.
  • Opening (or trying it) requires a minor action.
[/sblock][sblock=Stairway to the Southwest]This stairway leads up. (Remember you're looking for a cellar).[/sblock][[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats][sblock=Human Ruffian]
HumanRuffian.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Knife Fighter]
HumanKnifeFighter.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Slavehunter]
HumanSlavehunter.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Blademaster]
HumanBlademaster.png
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante lashes out in all directions, tearing into the enemy around him, then flanks his quarry, slashes him repeatedly and sweeps the man's feet out from under him.

OOC: Blademaster 2 is immobilized in -V,-5. He couldn't shift after his attacks.

Ruffian 2 has 4 hp left if someone wants to finish him off.

Turn Summary: Dante is in -S,-5 with +1 AC/Ref, Virgil is in -T,-6.
Blademaster 2 takes 16 damage and is still in -V,-5.
Ruffian 3 takes 16 damage.
Ruffian 2 takes 49 damage and is prone.

[sblock=Actions]Opportunity Attack(When Blademaster 2 attacks Virgil): MBA: 1d20+16=30 AC vs Blademaster 2, hit, 2d4+11=16 damage.
Immediate Interrupt: Disruptive Strike(When Ruffian 3 attacks Dante): 1d20+16=34 AC vs Ruffian 3, hit, 2d4+11=16 damage.

Move: Dante shifts to -S,-5, gaining +1 AC/Ref TenT. Virgil shifts to -T,-6(Dante's current position).
Minor: Off-Hand Strike: 1d20+16+2=32 AC vs Ruffian 2, hit, 2d4+11+1(CA)=16 damage.
Standard: Twin Strike:
*Attack 1: 1d20+16+2=26 AC vs Ruffian 2, hit, 2d4+6+1(CA)+2(bloodied)+1d6(Quarry)=14 damage.
*Attack 2: 1d20+16+2=36 AC vs Ruffian 2, hit, 2d4+6+1(CA)+2(bloodied)=14 damage.
Free: Takedown Strike(when hit Ruffian 2): Ruffian 2 takes 5 damage and is knocked prone.[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 10
Passive Perception:23(25), Passive Insight:18
AC:24, Fort:25, Reflex:24, Will:23 -- Speed:6
HP:67/67, Bloodied:32, Surge Value:17, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +9, Action Points:1
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Hunter's Thorn Trap, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run, Healing Lore
Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
MBA
: +16 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
RBA: 5/10 +16 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind. *+1 defenses bloodied.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 10
Passive Perception:16, Passive Insight:16
AC:24, Fort:22, Reflex:22, Will:20 -- Speed:6
HP:85/94, Bloodied:47, Surge Value:23(28), Surges left:2/2
MBA: +14(+16 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: Ouch, I guess Draglin lived up to his defenderness this round! :erm:

[MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION] does Draglin have to roll death save at the beginning of the round, or can he wait to be healed?

I'll take you on! Draglin yells, surrounded by foes. As the blademaster stabs into the dragonborn he takes the opportunity to stab at his opponent, he next kicks him into the shins knocking the man into the ground and slices him with another strike.

Oh boy, this does not look so good, he says, then falls to another blow.

[sblock=enemy round actions]
rolls
Backlash Tattoo Immediate Reaction upon being bloodied:MBA 28 vs AC 14 damage to blademaster 1.

Free:Tackdown Strike, 5 more damage to attack and blademaster 1 is prone.

Free:Quick short sword, MBA vs Blademaster 1, 26 vs AC (did not add in the +2 from CA) 18 damage.

Summary:Blademaster 1 takes 37 damage and is prone.
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: [MENTION=44459]Luinnar[/MENTION]: Technically, he rolls on 'his turn' which he can choose to delay until after everyone else goes (this is also the general practice). If he is healed before his turn, he regains consciousness in this round, and does not need to roll a death save. Not only that, but he can actually take actions during his turn, though he begins his turn prone.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Dante lashes out in all directions, tearing into the enemy around him, then flanks his quarry, slashes him repeatedly and sweeps the man's feet out from under him.

OOC: Blademaster 2 is immobilized in -V,-5. He couldn't shift after his attacks.
OOC:
GM: You're right. Retconned. Shift nixed and map updated. Ruffian 3 still gets to flank, because Blademaster 1 is knocked prone in -U,-4 by Draglin's IR, but he missed anyway, so not much changes from a damage point of view.

BTW: I rolled Dante's disruptive strike vs. Ruffian 3 in my original post (coincidentally doing 16 damage anyway), though I completely forgot about Dante's OA wrt attacks on Virgil. I'll be sure to remember that.

Check "Enemy Actions". If I'm aware of a prepared interrupt, I usually roll it as part of my post in order to minimize retcons.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
GM: @dimsdale , I just noticed that Max is dazed. Do you have a standard action that heals so we can get Draglin back up? If not, I could retcon my turn to heal Draglin with a minor action. Assuming that's ok @H.M.Gimlord ?

I looked for the Disruptive Strike but missed it somehow.

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
ooc: dazed for 1 round right?

Max curses himself for not being prepared for the attack. Shaking his head to orient himself he equips his weapon, then swings at the closest foe to him. Although he misses with the attack, his is able to provide much needed healing to the dragonborn fighter.

[sblock=actions]

minor: equipe weapon (and shield if possible :) )

AP: lion's roar: 1d20+15 for 2d8+7 ms ruffian AC: miss

effect: Draglin can spend a HS
[/sblock]

Remove ads