[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: I forgot to add in the damage from being bloodied from dragonborn frenzy, and the +1 damage for CA I get from light blade expertise so the blademaster 1 takes 5 more damage from the 2 off turn attacks.(42 total)

Also, does Draglin have to pick up his swords after he stands up?

Ow, that hurt.. Draglin mumbles, getting up. Now you made me angry! His nails pop out like cat claws and he makes three savage attacks, dropping one of the humans.

Next he slices into the prone blademaster, he follows up with two more blows, the human parrys the first but the dragonborn delivers the killing blow with the second. He then stabs into the remaining nearbyhuman. Much better! he shouts.
[sblock=actions]
Start of turn Free: Amulet of life +1, get an extra surge of healing from spending the surge.

Move:Stand up

Minor:Kirre's Roar burst 3, Draglin gains 4DR EONT and everyone in the burst (all baddies basically) are marked.

AP Standard:
Feral Hide Armor burst 1, targets all enemies in burst.
rolls
S6: Crits for 8+10+2(bloodied)+6= 26 damage killing it.
U6:30 vs AC(forgot the +1 for bloodied Dragonborn), hit for 13. (he needs to make athletics check)
U4:22+2(prone+1(dragonborn)=25, hit for 13+1(CA)=14.

Free:MBA vs Blademaster 1 (from Max's feat)
28 vs AC, 17+1(CA)=18 damage.

Standard:Rain of blows vs Blademaster 1.
rolls
Attack 1: crit miss
Attack 2: 29(+2 from CA)vs AC, 9+2(being bloodied)=11+1(CA)=12 killing blademaster I think.
If blademaster is dead (if not it will target it again):
Attack 3 vs U6: 27(+2 from CA)vs AC, 14+2(being bloodied)+1(CA)=17 damage(needs to make athletics check)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Draglin Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 8
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
HP 34/68 Bloodied 34 Surge Value 17, Surges 7/9
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 0

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Come and Get It
Distracting Spate
Battle Fury Stance
Rain of Blows
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
Second Wind
Takedown Strike
Backlash Tatoo

Tempest Dance
Rain of Steel
Bedeviling Assault
Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:4DR EONT
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
GM: Yes. Technically he does, because creatures drop their weapons when they fall unconscious.

OOC: That's how I used to rule it, but there's nothing in the rules that says anything to that effect, so I think it's generally assumed that unconsciousness does not cause you to drop carried items.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: Not to mention the fact that it really interrupts the flow of the game. I say, nevermind. If you have it in your hand when you fall, you have it in your hand when you wake up, unless some force or power explicitly removes it from your grasp.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: Apologies for being so slow. When I planned out this encounter, I added some surprises, but they are taking longer than expected. Fear not though, they are worth the wait :devil:.

Luinnar

First Post
GM: Apologies for being so slow. When I planned out this encounter, I added some surprises, but they are taking longer than expected. Fear not though, they are worth the wait :devil:.
OOC: Dragonborn lances, I knew it! Either that or Spheres of Annihilation bowling balls! ;)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Dragonborn lances, I knew it! Either that or Spheres of Annihilation bowling balls! ;)
GM: @Luinnar : Close, but no cigar! Try Elemental Accelerant and Alchemical Fire. I had to keep it level-appropriate ;).

BTW: I might have missed something, but by my count, Attack 2 on Rain of Blows reduces Blademaster 1 to 5hp, Attack 3 kills him

Subsequently, Human Ruffian 3 at U6 takes no damage from Rain of Blows and only needs to make 1 athletics check.
Mab scrables to the corner of the bar unnoticed, but popping up just long enough to send a dagger flying across the common room. The nimble blade sinks into the shoulder of one of the thugs. Before the brute can see the origin of the attack, Mab ducks out of sight and back to the bar gate.

Draglin's blow sends another of the ruffians tumbling behind the bar, where
he catches a glimpse of Mab. Smiling at her vilely, he rises and turns on her allies. From within his tunic, he produces a small pouch and pours its contents into his hand. With a flourish, he scatters what looks like scintillating dust across the floor on the other side of the bar. The dust falls on Virgil, Draglin, Dante, and Max and coats the floor around them as well.

The heros are mystified. What is this stuff? Then, as if in answer to their question, the trap is sprung. The thug with the knife reaches down to his belt, to which is tied something that looks like a gourd. Opening the top of the gourd, he flings the liquid contents into the dusted area.

Fire erupts in a huge flash, singing Max and Draglin, though, by a stroke of luck, Virgil and Dante escape unharmed. The dust, however, is not consumed in the attack, and the thug begins to eye one of the torches on the wall.

Taking advantage of the distraction, the rest of the neer-do-wells move in on Draglin. The dragonborn, again, crumples to the floor in a heap, "And stay down!" shouts the man with the whip as he pounds the scaled fighter to the ground with his mace.

Some how they all manage to clear the dusted area before the adventurers have time to react.

[sblock=Auntie Mab's Actions]Standard: Fleeting Spirit Strike
Granted Shift: to -V,-7
Stealth: 1d20+21=23
Target: Ruffian 4 at -U,-6
Attack: 1d20+16+2(CA)=25 vs. AC for 2d4+7+2d8(SA)=18 damage
Granted Shift: to -V,-10
Stealth: 1d20+21=28
[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Actions]Human Ruffian 3
Free: Athletics 1d20+11=14 Fail!
Damage: 1d6=4
Fall to: 1d8= (From top dead-center, clockwise starting at 1)
Fall Location: Fall to -V,-7
Move: Stand
Minor: Draw Elemental Accelerant Level 13[sblock=Elemental Accelerant]
Standard: Area Burst 1 within 10
No Attack Roll
Effect: Area burst 1 within 10 squares. The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. The first time a creature in the zone takes cold, fire, lightning, radiant, or thunder damage, the following effect is triggered: Attacks against creatures in the zone gain a +4 power bonus to damage rolls that include the triggering damage type. In addition, creatures in the zone take a -2 penalty to saving throws against ongoing damage of that type. These effects last until the end of the triggering creature’s next turn, at which point the zone ends.
[/sblock]
Standard: Throw Elemental Accelerant centered on Virgil(-T,-6)

Human Ruffian 1:
Move: Shift to -Q,-5
Minor: Draw Alchemical Fire Level 11[sblock=Alchemical Fire]
Make an attack: Area burst 1 within 10; +14 vs. Reflex; on a hit, deal 3d6 fire damage; on a miss, deal half damage.
[/sblock]
Standard: Alchemical Fire Attack Centered on Virgil (-T,-6)
Target 1: Virgil
Attack 1: 1d20+14+4=23 vs. Reflex Miss
Dante's OA: 1d20+16=17 vs. AC Miss
Target 2: Dragllin
Attack 2: 1d20+14+4=23 vs. Reflex Hit
Target 3: Dante
Attack 3: 1d20+14+4=19 vs. Reflex Miss
Target 4: Max
Attack 4: 1d20+14+4=33 vs. Reflex HIt
Damage: 1d6+2d6 = 10 fire damage (rolled 1d6 instead of 3d6, so had to add 2d6 and 1d6) Draglin takes only 6 because of DR

Human Ruffian 4
Move: to -T,-4
Standard: Mace
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+14=34 Crit! vs. AC for 17-4(DR)=13 damage
Granted Shift: to -U,-3

Human Blademaster 2
Move: to -U,-4
Standard: Dual Attack
Target 1: Draglin
Attack 1: 1d20+14=24 vs. AC Miss
Granted Shift: Waived
Target 2: Draglin
Attack 2: 1d20+14=17 vs. AC Miss

Human Knife Fighter
Move: Peerless Tumbler to -S,-6
Standard: Dance of the Knife
Targert 1: Draglin
Attack 1: 1d20+16+2(CA Flanking)=23 vs. AC Miss
Granted Shift away and back to -S, -6
Target 2: Draglin
Attack 2: 1d20+16+2(CA Flanking)=19 vs. AC Miss
Granted Shift: to -Q,-8

Human Slavehunter
Minor: Swift Pursuit to -S, -6
Standard: Mace
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+15+2(CA Flanking)=35 vs. AC for 3d6+6-4(DR)=18 damage
Granted Shift: to -R,-6
Move: Shift to -Q,-6

[/sblock][sblock=status]Dispersal of Elemental Accelerant (Burst 1: -U,-7 -- -S,-5) See Terrain, below.

Gloom -T,-8 81/81HP 11/11HS 1AP
Draglin -T,-5 -17/74HP 9/9HS 1AP Unconscious (Again! Yeah. Just keep markin' em!) DR4 TENT
Dante -S,-5 67/67HP 6/6HS 1AP +1AC TENT
Virgil -T,-6 85/94 2/2HS
Auntie Mab -V,-10 60/60HP 7/7HS 1AP Hidden from all except Human Ruffian 3 (-V,-7)
Max -S,-7 38/67HP 8/8HS 1AP

Human Ruffian 1 -Q,-5 88/96HP Dazzling Strike Marked by Draglin Human Ruffian 3 -V,-7 83/96HP Marked by Draglin
Human Ruffian 4 -U,-3 82/96HP Dazzling Strike Marked by Draglin
Human Slavehunter -Q,-6 88/103HP Marked by Draglin
Human Knife Fighter -Q,-8 206/214HP 1AP Must Recharge Peerless Tumbler, Marked by Draglin
Human Blademaster 2 -U,-4 86/94HP Marked by Draglin
Human Blademaster 1 -12/94HP Dead
Human Ruffian -22/96HP Dead

[/sblock][sblock=Map]
BarRoomBrawlRound3-1.png
[/sblock][sblock=Terrain: Please Read][sblock=Furniture]

• This will be treated as difficult terrain, but Creatures that are hit while standing in a square that is more than 1/4 occupied by a piece of furniture are subject to a DC 18 athletics check. Failure means that the creature falls prone in a random square adjacent to the piece of furniture and takes 1d6 points of damage.
  • Dropping (or falling) prone behind furniture gives you total concealment and superior cover against any creature on the opposite side of the furniture. From any angle, it provides normal cover, but no concealment. From the same side, you are simply prone.
  • Chairs and stools can be moved 1 square as a minor action, but tables and benches require a standard action. Moving anything further than one square expends a standard action and a move action. (I'm going to assume that everyone here is strong enough to move a table so no strength check ;)).
  • Chairs, stools, food, plates, cutlery, and mugs can be used as improvised weapons requiring a minor action to pick them up.
[/sblock][sblock=The Bar]More accurately, squares -v,-10 through -V,-6 and -W,-6 through -Z,-6.

• Hurdling the bar takes a 2 square jump check (Athletics DC 20), but, if successful, it allows a creature to continue its move without counting the square hurdled.
  • Failure means that you fall prone on top of the bar taking 1d6 points of damage (see Furniture).
  • Creatures can climb over the bar in 2 squares of movement (4 if you count the bar stools. Remember that bar stools are difficult terrain and are not included in this cost).
[/sblock][sblock=Wall Torches]

• These can be used as improvised weapons.
  • To remove a torch requires a minor action.
  • Hitting with a torch does 1d4 fire damage.
  • If a torch is used as a ranged weapon, it can possibly set fire to something. On a roll of 1 with a d6, the target square becomes a zone in which any creature passing through the zone takes 1d4 fire damage. Every round thereafter, a 1d4 is rolled. On a roll of 1, the zone grows to an adjacent square.
[/sblock][sblock=Bystanders]

• Bystanders are the ones without illuminated bases.
  • Bystanders are unarmed, and were either curious as to the outcome of the fight, but unwilling to engage, or they were trapped in the bar before they could get out,...or they are asleep in a drunken stupor, unaware of what is happening.
  • For every bystander hit (whether you do it or not), the party loses 100XP (after doubling) from the encounter total.
  • For every bystander killed (whether you do it or not), the party loses an additional 400XP(after doubling) from the encounter total.
[/sblock][sblock=Kitchen]

• The kitchen is behind a bar with a stove/oven visible and stairway leading up (Remember you're looking for a cellar). The oven is hot. Being pushed or slid into it deals you 1d6 damage.
  • The rest of the kitchen is not yet viewable from your vantagepoint.
[/sblock][sblock=Door to the Northwest]

• You are, as of yet, uncertain where this door leads.
  • Breakdown requires a DC 20 strength check.
  • Picking requires a DC 20 Thievery check.
  • Opening (or trying it) requires a minor action.
[/sblock][sblock=Stairway to the Southwest]This stairway leads up. (Remember you're looking for a cellar).[/sblock][sblock=Elemental Accelerant]
Effect: Area burst 1 within 10 squares. The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. The first time a creature in the zone takes cold, fire, lightning, radiant, or thunder damage, the following effect is triggered: Attacks against creatures in the zone gain a +4 power bonus to damage rolls that include the triggering damage type. In addition, creatures in the zone take a -2 penalty to saving throws against ongoing damage of that type. These effects last until the end of the triggering creature’s next turn, at which point the zone ends.
[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats][sblock=Human Ruffian]

HumanRuffian.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Knife Fighter]
HumanKnifeFighter.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Slavehunter]
HumanSlavehunter.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Blademaster]
HumanBlademaster.png
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: The coordinates aren't quite right for the enemy. I'm not sure which is which... for example, there's one in -S,-6 that Dante is flanking, but the status section doesn't list any enemies there.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: The map is wrong. Status and Enemy Actions are right. I will correct this.

*EDIT* Done. Human Slavehunter was supposed to have shifted to -Q,-6 after his attack, and Human Ruffian 4 was supposed to have shifted to -U,-3 after his.

BTW: The 'slow page update' problem has not yet been resolved. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm averaging 1.5 to 2 minutes per screen change on ENWorld. This is not just me. Any idea if anyone who can do something about it knows about it?

Last edited:

Remove ads