• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

dimsdale

First Post
Coward! Max screams at the knife fighter as he flees from Gloom. Stand strong Gloom. The warlord leaps to the top of the bar, jumping from the top as if it were a springboard, then flipping in the air, smashing his sword down hard onto the shoulder of the knife fighter, just as the warlord feet land surely on the ground. Although the attack misses its mark, it inspires all of his allies around him to continue the fight against the thugs.

[sblock=action]
minor: Inspiring Word: HS+2d6= 7 for a total of 27 hp
movement: move to x9 (attempt to jump bar: Athletics check +12 = crit :)
attack: Stand the Fallen: 1d20+15 for 3d8+7=miss

effect: all within 10 squares of max can spend a healing surge.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblock]
Max, Male Human Bravura Warlord 9

Passive Perception:17, Passive Insight:16
AC:25, Fort:23, Reflex:22, Will:21 -- Speed: 5
HP:38/67, Bloodied:33, Surge Value:17, Surges left:8/8
Initiative +5, Action Points:1
Powers:
*At Will Powers:
**Commander's Strike
**Brash Assault
*Encounter Powers:
**Heroic Effort
**Inspriing Word 2 BOTH USED
**Battefront Shift
**Vengence is Mine
**Grit and Spittle
**Second Wind
**Walk it Off
**Warlord's Strike USED
**Lion's Roar USED
**Armor power
*Daily Powers:
**Concentrated Attack
**Stand the Fallen USED
**Denying Mark
**Davros Elden's Hasty resurgence
**Shield Power
**Boot Power
**Sword Power

MBA: +15 vs. AC, 1d8+9 damage (Crit +2d8)
[sblock=Notes]*Action Surge Feat: +3 bonus to attack rolls when spending an AP
*Leand Meat Feat +1 bonus to ally attack rolls for any power granted by a warlord power
*Armored Warlord Feat: +1 to amount of healing surges
*Improved Bravura Feat: When an ally uses Max Bravura Presence, that ally gains either a +1 bonus to the attack roll or a +1 bonus to speed for the move action (ally's choice)
*Stubborn Survivor Feat: +2 bonus to all saving throws when Max has no AP.
*Belt of Vigor: +1 bonus to healing surge value
*Bracers of Mighty Strike: +2 Damage bonus when using a basic melee attack
*Circlet of Indomitability: +1 to Will
*Badge of the Berserker: When Max charges he doesn't provoke OA's
[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Spending an AP in the Presence of Max: Please Read]

Battlefront Leader Power

Any ally within three squares of max can shift 1/2 movement speed as a free action.

Bravura Presence

When an ally Max sees spends an action point to take another action to use it as an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll.

If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, then the ally can choose to do the following after the AP action:
* make a basic attack +1 to hit (due to feat: improved bravura)
or
* make a move action as a free action +1 added to ally's speed for movement (due to feat: improved bravura)

If the AP attack misses, the ally grants CA to all enemies TENT.

Clearly worth the risk :)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: Dante will spend a surge. Also, I totally forgot Max's AP benefit. [MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION], is there any way I can still invoke it? I know I've already rolled my attack, but there's no reason Dante would ever not invoke it.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: @Iron Sky : Generally, since we're playing Malinkirk Rules, I'm open to retcon's prior to my posts, as long as it doesn't have to do with the result of a previous roll (for example: "Cool! Now I know that attack will hit, I'll retcon to trigger my ally's optional power."). You're treading on boundary territory here because the rule says that you have to choose before you attack.

In your case, however, your attack both hits and misses (Twin Strike: One hit and one miss), meaning that you get both the benefit and the curse.

So you get to choose between moving and an MBA, but Dante also grants CA to all enemies.

The tradeoffs pose an interesting mechanic, which I'm curious to see played out, so I will allow it...this time.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
In your case, however, your attack both hits and misses (Twin Strike: One hit and one miss), meaning that you get both the benefit and the curse.

So you get to choose between moving and an MBA, but Dante also grants CA to all enemies.

OOC: Edited Dante's turn. Ruffian 3 is dead and Dante grants CA.

[MENTION=13739]Velmont[/MENTION], you can't perform OAs during your turn...

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: [MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION] is Draglin saved EONT or dazed save ends?

Draglin, taking the not-so-wise advice that whatever that does not kill you makes you stronger, decides to attack three enemies again. You can't catch me! Draglin says mocking the blademaster and moving across the battlefield with surprising speed, making three agile attacks.
[sblock=actions]
Free/None:Spend a surge from Stand the fallen.

Standard:Tempest Dance.
rolls
S5:20 vs AC miss marked EONT
shift to S6
27 vs AC 18 damaged (forgot the +2 from bloodied) marked EONT Draglin Free?:spends a surge from Benediction thanks @Velmont
shift to R5
Q5: 23 (not bloodied)vs AC 16 damaged, marked EONT
[/sblock]
[sblock=Draglin Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 9
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
HP 51/74 Bloodied 37 Surge Value 18, Surges 6/9
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 0

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Come and Get It
Distracting Spate
Battle Fury Stance
Rain of Blows
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
Second Wind
Takedown Strike
Backlash Tatoo

Tempest Dance
Rain of Steel
Bedeviling Assault
Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:Dazed
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: H.M.Gimlord: Draglin saved EONT or dazed save ends?
GM: According to the Human Ruffian Stats, Draglin is dazed until the end of the Human Ruffian 3's next turn (or until the end of the Bad Guys' turns since Human Ruffian 3 is dead. I can roll individual initiative if you want me to so that you can take advantage of IR or IU at the appropriate time).
OOC: Velmont:, you can't perform OAs during your turn...
GM: I forgot about that too. If the modifiers and damage numbers matched up, I would give my first roll to Max, but I'm afraid I can't to that. I'm afraid the Knife Fighter gets away without being struck with an OA.

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
GM: According to the Human Ruffian Stats, Draglin is dazed until the end of the Human Ruffian 3's next turn (or until the end of the Bad Guys' turns since Human Ruffian 3 is dead. I can roll individual initiative if you want me to so that you can take advantage of IR or IU at the appropriate time).
OOC: Oops I missed that. I don't need individual init, thanks :)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Mab, unseen by the blade-weilding assassin, rushes to Max's aid, slicing deep into the man with her own knives.

The fiend attempts to escape, and manages to strike back, but recoils as a burst of light explodes from Mab's enchanted blades. In addition to this, divine light erupts inside the knife fighter's head reminding him of Gloom's words.

Blinded by the dazzling conflagration, the man takes cover on the other side of the bar.

The rest of the thugs go after Draglin, thinking him an easy target, surrounded as he is, but the dragonborn proves to quick for them,

"Hold still!" one of them shouts.

Bobbing and weaving the adept fighter manages to dodge every single one of their blows.[sblock=Auntie Mab's Actions]Free: Chameleon 1d20+21=32 Success! She remains hidded from Human Knife Fighter

Standard: Deft Strike
Granted Move: to -X,-9
Target: Human Knife Fighter
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Hidden)=35 vs. AC for 1d4+7+2d8(SA)=19 damage

Move: Shift to -Y,-8

AP: Ready Action
Trigger: If Human Knife Fighter leaves -X,-8
Action: Blinfding Barrage
Target: Human Knife Figther and blast that does not include Max[sblock=Attack]Attack: 1d20+16=30 vs. AC for 2d4+7=15 damage and Human Knife Fighter is blinded[/sblock]
[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Actions]Human Knife Fighter
Free: Peerless Tumbler Recharge: 1d6=1 Fail!

Standard: Dance of the Knife
Target 1: Max
Attack 1: 1d20+15=32 vs. AC for 1d6+8=10 damage
Granted Shift: to -Y,-7, triggering Mab's readied action (see above) AND Gloom's Divine Challenge (10 radiant damage)
Target 2: Auntie Mab
Attack 2: 1d20+15=26 vs. AC for 1d6+8=13 damage
Granted Shift: to -Y,-5

Human Slavehunter
Move: Shift to -R,-4

Standard: Mace
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+15+2(Flanking)=21 vs. AC Miss

Human Ruffian 1:
Attack: 1d20+14+2(Flanking)=19 vs. AC Miss

Human Ruffian 4
Attack: 1d20+14+2(Flanking)=23 vs. AC Miss

Human Blademaster 2
Free: Take 5 OG

Standard: Dual Attack
Target 1: Draglin
Attack 1: 1d20+14+2(Flanking)=23 vs. AC Miss
Granted Shift: Waived
Target 2: Draglin
Attack 2: 1d20+14+2(Flanking)=22 vs. AC Miss

Free: Save vs. OG damage 1d20=9 Fail!
[/sblock][sblock=status]
Gloom -R,-7 3(5 Regen)/81HP 11/11HS 0AP Boodied -5 to all defenses TEONT
Draglin -T,-5 15/74HP 7/9HS 1AP Bloodied
Dante -V,-4 45/67HP 6/6HS 0AP
Virgil -T,-6 85/94 2/2HS
Auntie Mab -Y,-8 47/60HP 7/7HS 0AP
Max -W,-8 53/67HP 8/8HS 1AP

Human Ruffian 1 -Q,-5 68/96HP Dazzling Strike Marked by Draglin TEONT
Human Ruffian 4 -R,-6 66/96HP Dazzling Strike Marked by Draglin TEONT
Human Slavehunter -R,-4 83/103HP
Human Knife Fighter -Y,-5 65/214HP Bloodied 0AP Gloom's Divine Sanciton, Must Recharge Peerless Tumbler, Blinded (enemies have TC, -10 to Perception, Grants CA, Can't flank) TEONT
Human Blademaster 2 -S,-5 39(34)/94HP Bloodied Ongoing 5 (Save Ends), Marked by DraglinHuman Ruffian 3 -U,-5 -18/96HP Dead
Human Blademaster 1 -12/94HP
Dead
Human Ruffian -22/96HP Dead

[/sblock][sblock=Map]
BarRoomBrawlRound5.png
[/sblock][sblock=Terrain: Please Read][sblock=Furniture]

• This will be treated as difficult terrain, but Creatures that are hit while standing in a square that is more than 1/4 occupied by a piece of furniture are subject to a DC 18 athletics check. Failure means that the creature falls prone in a random square adjacent to the piece of furniture and takes 1d6 points of damage.
  • Dropping (or falling) prone behind furniture gives you total concealment and superior cover against any creature on the opposite side of the furniture. From any angle, it provides normal cover, but no concealment. From the same side, you are simply prone.
  • Chairs and stools can be moved 1 square as a minor action, but tables and benches require a standard action. Moving anything further than one square expends a standard action and a move action. (I'm going to assume that everyone here is strong enough to move a table so no strength check ;)).
  • Chairs, stools, food, plates, cutlery, and mugs can be used as improvised weapons requiring a minor action to pick them up.
[/sblock][sblock=The Bar]More accurately, squares -v,-10 through -V,-6 and -W,-6 through -Z,-6.

• Hurdling the bar takes a 2 square jump check (Athletics DC 20), but, if successful, it allows a creature to continue its move without counting the square hurdled.
  • Failure means that you fall prone on top of the bar taking 1d6 points of damage (see Furniture).
  • Creatures can climb over the bar in 2 squares of movement (4 if you count the bar stools. Remember that bar stools are difficult terrain and are not included in this cost).
[/sblock][sblock=Wall Torches]

• These can be used as improvised weapons.
  • To remove a torch requires a minor action.
  • Hitting with a torch does 1d4 fire damage.
  • If a torch is used as a ranged weapon, it can possibly set fire to something. On a roll of 1 with a d6, the target square becomes a zone in which any creature passing through the zone takes 1d4 fire damage. Every round thereafter, a 1d4 is rolled. On a roll of 1, the zone grows to an adjacent square.
[/sblock][sblock=Bystanders]

• Bystanders are the ones without illuminated bases.
  • Bystanders are unarmed, and were either curious as to the outcome of the fight, but unwilling to engage, or they were trapped in the bar before they could get out,...or they are asleep in a drunken stupor, unaware of what is happening.
  • For every bystander hit (whether you do it or not), the party loses 100XP (after doubling) from the encounter total.
  • For every bystander killed (whether you do it or not), the party loses an additional 400XP(after doubling) from the encounter total.
[/sblock][sblock=Kitchen]

• The kitchen is behind a bar with a stove/oven visible and stairway leading up (Remember you're looking for a cellar). The oven is hot. Being pushed or slid into it deals you 1d6 damage.
  • The rest of the kitchen is not yet viewable from your vantagepoint.
[/sblock][sblock=Door to the Northwest]

• You are, as of yet, uncertain where this door leads.
  • Breakdown requires a DC 20 strength check.
  • Picking requires a DC 20 Thievery check.
  • Opening (or trying it) requires a minor action.
[/sblock][sblock=Stairway to the Southwest]This stairway leads up. (Remember you're looking for a cellar).[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats][sblock=Human Ruffian]

HumanRuffian.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Knife Fighter]
HumanKnifeFighter.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Slavehunter]
HumanSlavehunter.png

[/sblock][sblock=Human Blademaster]
HumanBlademaster.png
[/sblock][/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante shifts to the enemy knife fighter, lashing him with his chain.

OOC: Turn Summary: Dante has Snarling Wolf Stance active, making an MBA as an Immediate Reactions and shifting away from the first enemy to hit or miss him.
Dante is in -W,-4 at 5 THP, 45/67hp, +1 AC/Ref TenT. Virgil in -U,-5

[sblock=Actions]Move: Dante shifts to -W, -4, gains +1 AC/Ref TenT, Virgil shifts to -S, -5.
Minor: Quarry Knife Fighter.
Standard: Twin Strike:
*Attack 1: 1d20+16+2(CA)=20 AC vs Knife Fighter, miss.
*Attack 2: 1d20+16+2(CA)=34 AC vs Knife Fighter, hit, 2d4+6+1(CA)+2(Bloodied)+1d6(Quarry)=18 damage.[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 10
Passive Perception:23(25), Passive Insight:18
AC:24, Fort:25, Reflex:24, Will:23 -- Speed:6
HP:5+45/67, Bloodied:32, Surge Value:17, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +9, Action Points:0
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Hunter's Thorn Trap, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run, Healing Lore
Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
MBA
: +16 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
RBA: 5/10 +16 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante *+1 damage with CA *+2 damage vs bloodied *+1 AC/Ref on shift *Draw spiked chain as part of attack *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends) *Gain 5 THP on AP *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind *+1 defenses bloodied

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 10
Passive Perception:16, Passive Insight:16
AC:24, Fort:22, Reflex:22, Will:20 -- Speed:6
HP:85/94, Bloodied:47, Surge Value:23(28), Surges left:2/2
MBA: +14(+16 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock]

Remove ads