Adventures in Cormyr (Recruitment Closed)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Thanee said:
Did Leonara become captivated before the harpies emerged from the tree?

Otherwise, she would have fired an arrow (readied action IIRC) at the first coming out of the cover.

Bye
Thanee
The harpies emerged, and then at the begining of the next round three of them started to sing and then they flew down to their current position, then the others attacked, so since you said you'd wait until they emerged from cover, I ruled that you wouldn't get your readied attack as Leonara failed her save before they emerged from cover.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
gabrion said:
Just signing in (and marking the thread).

Ya, I hope people don't mind that too much. I knew full-well he wasn't making the best tactical decision, but sometimes Chik's urge to fight gets the better of him. :) Meta-game wise, I was also hoping to hear that countersong again...

In any case, I have a feeling our greenbound friends will be a great help when they arrive and we might even make it through this alive!
Thanks for checking in Gabrion, regarding the greenbound eagles they would be very tough if they had managed to resist the harpies song :p , also countersong only affects things in a 30' radius, so sadly you're out of range :lol: but don't worry Chik won't have to suffer for long, I'm sure he'll fail his save vs the coup de graces eventually ;)

Also sorry about the delay in getting the current post out, it took me a lot of time to do, what with there being so many combatants doing various things :heh:

gabrion

First Post
Ok, I think there are a few minor problems with your last IG post LR.

Lord_Raven88 said:
...regarding the greenbound eagles they would be very tough if they had managed to resist the harpies song

IIRC, Greenbound summoning grants the summons the plant type, which has immunity to any mind affecting voodoo.

:lol: but don't worry Chik won't have to suffer for long, I'm sure he'll fail his save vs the coup de graces eventually ;)

Under the entry of captivating song, it says that:

SRD said:
Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. (Thus, a fighter cannot run away or attack but takes no defensive penalties.)

You can interpret that as you will, but it seems to me that the Harpies still need to hit Chik's normal AC (no defensive penalties), and even if you decide he should be at some kind of disadvantage, it definately doesn't seem like he's helpless (which is what's needed for a coup de grace).

Those are just a couple of rules things I wanted to point out/get clarification on.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
gabrion said:
Ok, I think there are a few minor problems with your last IG post LR.
That's not possible I'm blessed with a perfect memory, it's a shame I have a faultly recall though :eek:

IIRC, Greenbound summoning grants the summons the plant type, which has immunity to any mind affecting voodoo.
D@mn, I looked thru the special qualities of the eagles and failed to see anything mentioned in the greenbound summoning template, it slipped my mind to check the plant type. I'll let the eagles attack at the begining and end of this round, this will make up for the last round.

Under the entry of captivating song, it says that:
Captivating Song (Su)
The most insidious ability of the harpy is its song. When a harpy sings, all creatures (other than harpies) within a 300-foot spread must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or become captivated. This is a sonic mind-affecting charm effect. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same harpy’s song for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A captivated victim walks toward the harpy, taking the most direct route available. If the path leads into a dangerous area (through flame, off a cliff, or the like), that creature gets a second saving throw. Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. (Thus, a fighter cannot run away or attack but takes no defensive penalties.) A victim within 5 feet of the harpy stands there and offers no resistance to the monster’s attacks. The effect continues for as long as the harpy sings and for 1 round thereafter. A bard’s countersong ability allows the captivated creature to attempt a new Will save.
You can interpret that as you will, but it seems to me that the Harpies still need to hit Chik's normal AC (no defensive penalties), and even if you decide he should be at some kind of disadvantage, it definately doesn't seem like he's helpless (which is what's needed for a coup de grace).

Those are just a couple of rules things I wanted to point out/get clarification on.
The way that I interpret this is that the captivated individual doesn't have any defense penalties against others, but against the harpy he/she is helpless, as they just stand there and offer no resistance, ie dodging etc

Lord_Raven88

First Post
I'm away on a business trip for two days, so I won't have a chance to update the IC thread, saying that it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the harpies will be getting their butt kicked again next round, so we should be able to rap up this side quest by the end of this week :cool:

Remove ads