• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice for hiring a cohort

MadLuke

First Post
Hi to all,
I still have my female human very charmful, very Shar devoted and shadow weave oriented (a lot of social skills, a little of roguish ones also, completely unable at combat) and I'm in Calimport.
I got the leadership feat and I was wondering what kind of cohort it would be more useful for me:
- barbarian (to compensate my inability at combat);
- swashbuckler (as barbarian, with less attitude to desert trip but able to stay in society and make team on dexterity skills);
- ranger (a mix of the two previous ones).

In any case I thought an elf could be more useful than a human as I already am.

Any ideas?

Thank you, MadLuke.

What does the rest of the party consist of? If you already have a fighter in the group, do you really need to bring in a barbarian?

Leadership, and the cohort, should be a means of filling in a role that the party can't cover.

MadLuke

First Post
You're right, but the fact is that my PC is actually alone since I often play against my mates (that don't know "what" really I am). :)

BigVanVader

First Post
If I ever played wizards, which I don't, it would be cool to hire a bodyguard or Fighter, whose only job is to stand near me and protect me. That way he doesn't step on the Fighter's toes.

delericho

Legend
Actually, you probably would benefit most from a Cleric - reasonably decent combat abilities but, probably more important, healing.

MadLuke

First Post
Actually, you probably would benefit most from a Cleric - reasonably decent combat abilities but, probably more important, healing.

A cleric you said... would be good at combat but absolutely not reliable on stealth. Your idea was right but I did better: a Corrupter (NE anti-paladin). Good at stealth, able to heal me, a bit of magic and most of all a connection to the church I strongly belong to.

The master will choose gender, race and other details.

Thank you all, MadLuke.

MadLuke

First Post
Well, I pondered again and I realized that in my first 8 levels career, the hardest part hasn't been the stealth situations, missing healings but the pure combat. Facing a bear, or stirge, or gargoyles with no escape... And I just used Total defense waiting for my allies to rescue me.
So I opted for a thug, a fighter with just a few rogue skills, useful in a city. For anything else, I know I'm ready.

Bye, MadLuke.

Remove ads