After your stoned are your spells still up?

Vahktang

First Post
So you had a bad year.
That half fiend giant basilsk just wouldn't die.
You got all boosty, bear's, bull's, vestment, etc, and you ended up petrified.
Now, it's several months later
(hey, you're buddies were busy with the rest of the dungeon. And you're heavy to haul out)
And they've done the stone to flesh spell.

Are your boosty spells still up?

Thanks.

More later,

Vahktang

Goolpsy

First Post
no they won't be up.. cause their duration ran out before you got back. Being petrified isn't a way to magically enclosure a person from time and space... but it jsut work like paralyse.. (well in the same way sort off)

frankthedm

First Post
Normal buff durations do not pause for petification*.

*there are arguments that a spell ends when its target becomes invalid [like a creature becoming an object], so even permanencied spells might or might not go away the moment you get petrified.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
frankthedm said:
*there are arguments that a spell ends when its target becomes invalid [like a creature becoming an object]...

That argument makes Shillelagh a very sucky spell, though :)

-Hyp.

dcollins

Explorer
...Or possibly a good candidate for errata. (Is there any other effect in the game which only works on a "nonmagical" target?)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dcollins said:
...Or possibly a good candidate for errata. (Is there any other effect in the game which only works on a "nonmagical" target?)

Shatter.

Or do you mean non-instantaneous effect? :)

-Hyp.

STARP_JVP

First Post
Your spells stay prepared after you're stones, but only if they were create munchies, stare at wall and giggle or listen to Phish.

Oh, ha ha ha, I'm so witty. I can predict with 100% confidence nobody else has ever made that joke before...

dcollins

Explorer
Yeah, I guess there's more than just one or two. Searching the core rules I find: mage hand, polymorph any object, rusting grasp, shillelagh, snare.

Let me ask this: If the word "nonmagical" were deleted from shillelagh's Target line, what would be your primary argument against the "continuously checked target" school of thought?

Remove ads