Age for Hitchhiker’s Guide First Read?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I feel like I was 12-ish, dunno if a modern middle schooler would click with it, though? It felt like I was reading something super old in the mid-90's, now it might feel outright archaic?

Hex08

Hero
I read the first book in junior high school and the rest slowly over the years. When I read the first I wasn't aware of the rest.

Irlo

Hero
We tried to introduce this to our (as the time) 12 year old. It didn't appeal to him at all. We would have had more success with the radio show, I think.

A lot of the humour is grounded in 1970s England. Even when I read it in the mid 80s it felt dated, although I at least I remembered the 70s. The world Arthur Dent left no longer exists, and hasn't done for a long time.

But by the time I read Hitchhiker I had been choosing my own books for a long time. I doubt I would have enjoyed it if it had been pressed on me by my parents.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I was in high school, I'm going to say Freshmen or Sophomore year. I'd actually seen the original BBC Hitchhiker's Guide in either fifth or sixth grade on PBS (WTTW Channel 11 in Chicago!).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's really two separate questions here:

What age is the content "appropriate" for?
At what age will the reader have context to understand the content?

Like, "Spending a year dead for tax reasons," is good enough content for someone who is old enough to handle death as content, but the phrase doesn't mean as much if you don't pay taxes.

One way to look at the HHGttG is as a piece of absurdist literature, but that requires you to have enough understanding of the normal world to get what is, and isn't, absurd.

the phrase doesn't mean as much if you don't pay taxes.
You can be aware of taxes long before you are old enough to pay them yourself, but the target for this joke are the sometimes extreme measures the rich and famous take to avoid paying them. This is one joke that remains current, even when heavy metal music is not [shocked gasp from the audience].

Dioltach

Legend
I caught several episodes of the radio show when they were first broadcast. My mother taped as many as she could, and I listened to those as well. So probably in the 5-6 age range.

Read the books not long after. Prefer the radio show though.

ETA: the radio show was released on audio cassette in the 1990s, I think, and you can find them on Audible too now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You can be aware of taxes long before you are old enough to pay them yourself, but the target for this joke are the sometimes extreme measures the rich and famous take to avoid paying them. This is one joke that remains current, even when heavy metal music is not [shocked gasp from the audience].

It isn't about being current. It is about having emotional context.

The joke about having the bypass plans down in a locked file cabinet in a basement in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard" just isn't the same if you've never dealt with governments or bureaucracy.

Much of the humor of the work is built on references. Without getting the references, it is "just silly", which is fine, but isn't the most you can get out of it.

Remove ads