Ahrianna, Goddess of Delirium

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hmm...the Type requirement should not allow for anything above Aberration on the Type hierarchy (like Outsiders or Undead) to take the class if Aberrations cannot. Also, it is kind of weird that Awakened animals or plants who take this class can mate with humanoids and produce offspring once they hit level 10 :uhoh:

As to the power, I'll admit that I am also among those who like to load up on cool abilities if I'm not giving full casting, but compared to Acolyte of the Skin, this might be too much, even before the extra abilities. +12 to a stat is a lot.

Still, a neat little beginning for what will no doubt be a cool class!

Bront

The man with the probe
Well done for the most part.

I would make a list of skills for the racial bonuses. A +2 racial bonus to spellcraft... how does aberation mod work?

Yes, he does get +12, but he gets -6, though the fact that he gets to choose which ones get which could make it powerfull. Not sure of a good way to sorta fix that, if it needs fixing, which I'm unsure of.

Get that list of special abilities done. I'd make a list for all 3 times, and then allow them to select from any list below that.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Hmm...the Type requirement should not allow for anything above Aberration on the Type hierarchy (like Outsiders or Undead) to take the class if Aberrations cannot.
As long as the creature is living (not construct or undead), I see no real problem with allowing those types. And I'm not sure if I buy the type pyramid anyway.

Yes to goddess and feat, though the latter either doesn't need the Normal line, or just "You can use the Clarity of Madness ability once per day."
Note that the Madness domain uses the Random Action spell, which no longer exists under that name. Should be lesser confusion.

Actually, can the feat be taken multiple times?

Rystil Arden

First Post
As long as the creature is living (not construct or undead), I see no real problem with allowing those types. And I'm not sure if I buy the type pyramid anyway.

Outsiders shouldn't ever become Aberrations either. A mutated maddened slaad servant of Ahrianna's from the outer planes should be an outsider, IMO, not an aberration. Anything else beyond Undead and Constructs is probably okay.

Erekose13

Explorer
I included the Normal line because the domain does not refer to it's granted power by any specific name. I wanted to be as specific as I could. And no the feat is not meant to be taken more than once. I'll add a little note to the bottom of the deity to indicate the updated domain spell choice.

IVV, I haven't had a chance to read through your PrC, but at a glance it sounds neat. I'll have more comments soon, promise.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Outsiders shouldn't ever become Aberrations either. A mutated maddened slaad servant of Ahrianna's from the outer planes should be an outsider, IMO, not an aberration. Anything else beyond Undead and Constructs is probably okay.
I'd agree with that, though I'd think they could take the class, and just not gain the benifit from the final feat.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I'd agree with that, though I'd think they could take the class, and just not gain the benifit from the final feat.
That could definitely be fine. Really I don't see why an Aberration couldn't take this class either. An Elan that embraces its Aberration-ness and becomes a twisted hideous creature sounds cool to me ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
That could definitely be fine. Really I don't see why an Aberration couldn't take this class either. An Elan that embraces its Aberration-ness and becomes a twisted hideous creature sounds cool to me ;)
Maybe make an alternate power for Aberrations and Outsiders that they get at the last level. Nothing huge mind you, but something that's thematic and cool.

Erekose13

Explorer
2 votes for deity and feat. Vote more!

Regarding the PrC:
InVinoVeritas said:
Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become Ahrianna’s Child, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Race: any non-aberration.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, or Knowledge (dungeoneering) 8 ranks.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast divine spells.
Special: The character must worship Ahrianna, contact her, and offer himself or herself completely to her service through a secret, maddening ritual that breaks the character’s mind, in order to accept Ahrianna’s indwelling.

Class Skills:
The class skills for Ahrianna’s Child are Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, and Tumble.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier.

Looks like the class base is a mix of cleric and ranger. Works for me so far. I agree that we need to put something in to the Race section to make sure that the creature type tree is maintained. I remember somewhere seeing a tree that showed what types you could progress to depending on where you started. So as a humanoid you could become anything, but an outsider was at the top and couldn't change type. Or am I just on glue?

InVinoVeritas said:
Spells per Day: On each even class level, Ahrianna’s Children gain spells as if they raised a level in a divine spellcasting class they have. If the character has more than one divine spellcasting class, one class must be chosen. The character gains no more benefits of the other class.

1/2 caster and some solid abilities, I like that.

InVinoVeritas said:
Madness: Ahrianna’s Children all gain the power of the Madness domain, if they do not already have it. Add the levels of Ahrianna’s Child to any previous levels of a cleric with the Madness domain to determine the Madness score for the character.

Looks good to me.

InVinoVeritas said:
Gifted: The first changes take place once the path of Ahrianna’s Child is chosen. Choose one ability and any two skills. The character gains a +2 racial modifier to the ability and a +2 racial bonus to these skills. There is a minor physical change associated with this bonus; a bonus to Spot might manifest itself with larger eyes, and a bonus to Sleight of Hand may result in longer fingers. The character also gains 60’ darkvision.
I think that I'd like to see a list of things to choose from. Perhaps start with natural pairings of skills that require the same base stat. Like Sleight of Hand/Disable Device/Dex/Long Fingers. etc.

InVinoVeritas said:
Honing: At 2nd level, Ahrianna’s Child gains a natural attack. This can be a claw, bite, slam, gore, tail slap, or tentacle attack. The attack does 1d6 damage for Medium characters and 1d4 damage for Small characters. The character’s form shifts further to allow for the attack to take place. The character also gains the Improved Unarmed Combat feat for free.

I don't think you need Impr. Unarmed Combat when you have a natural attack do you?

InVinoVeritas said:
Special Quality: Ahrianna’s Child gains a Special Attack, Movement, or Special Quality. (We should prepare a list of suitable choices). Any spell-like ability bases its DC off Wisdom plus Madness.

This one definitely needs a list of everyone would pick the Choker's quickness ability first.

InVinoVeritas said:
Newfound Power: At 4th and 8th level, Ahrianna’s Child twists into a form that allows for new capabilities. The character undergoes a physical change that gives him a new feat. This feat may come from the list of monster feats as well other feats that the character is normally entitled to.

Sounds good to me.

InVinoVeritas said:
Enlightened Development: At 5th level, Ahrianna’s Child grows more into the monstrous role. The character chooses two abilities. The first gains a +4 racial modifier, and the second suffers a -2 racial penalty. The two skills chosen when Gifted receive an additional +2, for a total racial bonus of +4. The character is now deformed far enough from his original race that disguising the changes is impossible.

To avoid the +12 to one stat, perhaps make these three not stack or force people to choose different stats for each one. While the previous ability would be cool with a list, I don't think it is necessary here.

InVinoVeritas said:
Grand Warping: Ahrianna’s Child no longer maintains a humanoid form, and standard armor can no longer be worn. The character’s skin hardens, however, and gains a +4 natural armor bonus to AC. Any new armor will have to specially tailored to the character, and cost 5 times as much. In addition, the character gains more natural attacks. For a medium character, they can be two 1d4 attacks, one 1d6 attack, or an increase in die size of one of the character’s existing natural attacks.

Sounds good.

InVinoVeritas said:
Rebirth: The full assumption of the character’s body, mind, and soul into Ahrianna’s Child is complete. The character’s type changes to aberration. The character gains a +6 bonus to one ability, but also gains a -4 penalty to another. The character’s form has completely adapted to the new existence, and adds another +2 racial bonus (for a total of +6) to the two chosen skills. The character also gains one more Special Quality. In addition, the character may continue to mate with humanoids, but any offspring that form from these unions are aberrations with the same racial bonuses, penalties, attack forms, bonus feats from Newfound Power, and special qualities as the character.

Again I think that lists would be helpful in balancing this ability. Also some way to keep it from being a +12 to one stat. Though a -6 to a single stat would be perfectly acceptable.

Remove ads